Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toys

Options
  • 21-03-2004 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

like the kind in that robin williams movie. only less autonomous. anybody still have their childhood toys. such as lego, of matchbox, or my little pony/barbie/action man. just out of curiosity. the kind that only comes at a state of supreme boredom.
    i still have a scalextrics set i got years ago. still runs and everything. and its only now i appriciate how ridiculously amusing it is. thus this useless thread. enjoy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freakydeadgirl

i decapitated all of my dolls so i have a bunch of dissmembered doll bodies in a box
    i still have my crash test dummie action figures that would blow apart if you hit the button on their chest.
    i still have my picture books which are a nice read after a 4 chapter a.p. euro. history test
    i still have some of my stuff animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I have a load of lego somewhere in my room. loadsa stuff i built. including a tower with a working elevator...well, kinda working, it jammed..a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

i miss lego. all the new lego is three piece stylised crap.

yeah...

People should bring all their old lego to TYI, and build a humungous tower!

or we could, you know, not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

• Advertisement

you know, if everyone actually did, we would probably end up with quite the big tower. then we could attach knex cranes and whatnot. have a bit of a party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

I'll bring my Knex Harrier jump-jet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

I think I still have a complete Teenage Mutant Hero Turtle somewhere. All the rest of my toys have slowly been replaced over time by Jazz mags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Nyopallo

It's a Teenage Mutant NINJA Turtle.

NINJA NINJA NINJA NINJA NINJA NINJA NINJA NINJA NINJA NINJA NINJA NINJA

I will not have you desecrating my childhood idols like that.

I still have a ton of baseball cards that I collected, along with some old video game consoles.

Originally posted by Nyopallo

I will not have you desecrating my childhood idols like that.

I still have a ton of baseball cards that I collected, along with some old video game consoles.

Back in my day (god , i never thought i'd say that !!!) they were called Hero Turtle's in the Uk and Ireland because Ninja seemed to be too much of a voilent image to be protraying to the kiddie's.

• Advertisement

thats true. they were called both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I still have the majority of my toys...

Bags full of Barbie dolls, Sylvanian Families(Nimble Fingers still stock them! Yayness!), Teeny Weeny Families or something to that extent, Lego(lots of Lego), loads of other stuff I can't think of at the moment and all of my teddy bears(believe, that's a LOT). All of them now reside in the attic, though *sniffle*.
    I also have a dolls house my uncle, grandmother and grandfather made me for Christmas 11 or 12 years ago. I'm in the process of fixing it up, getting furniture for it, re-wallpapering and carpeting it etc. I recently bought two wooden mice to live in it. Once it's no longer void of furniture and covered in cat hair(my cat used to sleep in it), it shall be the most fantabulous dolls house in all the land....possibly. Well, no, but it shall be somewhat fantabulous.
    Did anyone else make 'traps' out of Lego or torture their dolls? Teehee... *becomes nostalgic about the twisted games children play*

Originally posted by Nyopallo

(insert music)
    teenage mutant ninja turtles.....turtles on the half shell......
    TURTLE POWER!!!

go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go

Originally posted by freakydeadgirl
    (insert music)
    teenage mutant ninja turtles.....turtles on the half shell......
    TURTLE POWER!!!

go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go... go ninja, go ninja, go

They were bloody HERO TURTLES !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

She's a yank, let her be :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

let's see... ninja turtles definitely won a place in my rusty little heart. (em, hero turtles, if you will, but they'll always be ninjas in my heart. /sniff)
    my imagination. that was the main one. endless fun.
    and crash bandicoot. i know, i know. but, ah, those were the days. wheee.
    and dolls when i was a very little thing. i used to make up such complicated plots with the dolls. hours upon hours upon hours.
    legos. good god, legos. ooh and playgrounds and swings (i know that doesn't really fit into the toy category but hush)
    ooh, and the endless amounts of tiny buttons in my dad's recording studio. (the true meaning of being a sound engineer's daughter: "daddy! look at all the little buttons!" "nooo! don't touch those!" "Why not?" /crash (it's especially fun when the buttons move by themselves - whee!)) ooh- and all of his funny sound effects that he doubles back and slows down and ...heeee....so funny.
    picture books are lovely too.
    and shiny objects have never failed me either.
    ooh, and FAO Schwartz made me so happy. but it is gone. :mad: o, cruel, cruel life.
    this list could go on for ever and ever. i was such a happy little child. such fun was had. this thread has made me happy.

BUBBLES!
    how could we forget BUBBLES.
    i would spend hours chaseing bubbles around when i was little
    they are entertaining in a zen like way......
    they go any where the wind blows

*hums bohemian rhapsody*

sorry. bubbles arent childhood toys, anyone whos been to a reunion at the green will know. we conduct a mass raid on banana tree, its one of the first things done usually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Has anyone seen the newer series of the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles? The first difference that I noticed was that they are now ninja turtles instead of hero turtles. Their eyes are perfectly white. No pupils loike. And Raphael, if I recall correctly, now has a REALLY gruff kind of voice. He sounds somewhat evil.

There's something not right about these new turtles. They have this whole "extreme" snazzyness added to them. Call me old but I think the turtles should be more mellow, like they once were. They showed me what the finer things in life were, like pizza, and sewer rats. What are these new ones teaching kids? Go to other planets and wage war against some army. Albeit the army started fighting first. But the turtles are too ninja for my liking. Anyone else like their turtles to be mellow?

Yeah, i noticed that too, raphael is now 38% more badass, and thats 38% too much in my opinion

• Advertisement

yeah, raph has a heavy new york accent now. and they're all hardcore crime-fighters now. was better in the old days. michelangelo isnt even the party dude anymore...

I reacon they have spent the past few years jackin up on steroids and practasing their NY accents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Has no one a particular toy they kept from childhood?! in particular a teddy? I still have my teddy....and still sleep with her in my arms *blushes* but really, why has no one mentioned teddiness?! ( her name is blossom :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Originally posted by edibility
    why has no one mentioned teddiness?!

I have! And yes, I also sleep with my teddy. His name is Edward. My granny gave him to me a day or so after I was born. He rocks. And has blu-tack in his fur.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

then we could attach knex cranes and whatnot
    I MADE THE K'NEX CRANE!!!
    but then it broke. SO NOW I HAVE A K'NEX GUITAR HANGING ON MY WALL!!! i know the guitar was really easy to make, but still!

aine? teddy called edward? i've got a BROTHER called edward, coincidence, me thinks not.
    i have a big dungheap of teddies in my room. samantha's the queen. my barbie's were all sluts. they all married each other loads and had romps with the teddies.
    anyone remember captain planet? because, did the theme tune go captain planet, he's a hero, he's gonna take the bad guys down to zero? cos this is what i'm being told, and i have qualms with this, but can't remember.

i had a big red bucket of lego and it was my absolute fave thing in the whole world. til i got k'nex.

ohhh...yes

"captain planet, he's a hero, gonna take pollution down to zero
    gonna help us put asunder, bad guys who like to loot and plunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by tibilt
    "captain planet, he's a hero, gonna take pollution down to zero
    gonna help us put asunder, bad guys who like to loot and plunder

Didn't we discuss this in a previous thread? Ah, whatever. GO PLANET!

The funniest thing I heard about a children's TV theme tune was the guy who thought Morrissey from The Smiths sang the tune to "Bob The Builder". (When it was, in fact, a Neil Morrissey.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭:D mags :D

I had a teddy since I was seven. He was a dinosaur and his name was dino. I had him right up till last year when I left him in DCU. DCU has my dino. I still have all my teddies from when I was young, but none are dino. Dammit.

I used to love the turtles! Leonardo was my favourite, he was like my imaginary friend. And apparently I used to jump from the top of my high chair to the floor shouting "COWABUNGAAAA!!!"

I always wanted a Mr Frosty, Always, I asked santa for one every year since i was like 4, and then what happens 3 years ago? My sister gets one.

I used to love cardboard boxes, I'd make them into loadsa stuff. I made a really elaborate play area for my hamster outta two big huge boxes and lotsa toilet rolls, then I realised cardboard and hamsters dont go so good together....we found him in the end though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

YAY! cardboard boxes! SO much fun.
    in fact, they still are. about a month ago, my friend's dad ordered a gargantuan couch, and the cardboard box that it came in was big enough to fit four people. We spent hours on end in that box. endless amounts of fun. especially popping out of it and nearly giving people heartattacks. I want to be a jack in the box, dammit. it would be fun only for the first minute or two, though. to get back on topic, jack in the boxes always scared me. the crank and you never knew when it would pop and aaah!
    this thread makes me happy. thanks to danny for spawning it. :D

• Advertisement

cardboard boxes are loads of fun!
    last year at school my friends and i got three boxes from the photography teacher and rolled around them at lunch. mabey it was the fumes from the chemicals that were in them but it was a heck of a lot of fun.

i don't have a teddy bear. i have a rabbit named bunny rabbit (real creative).
    i got it from my grandpa before i was a year old. the story goes that he was walking through a store when bunny rabbit fell off a shelf and he caught it and then bought for me. all of his stuffing is at one end and the insides of his ears are slowly falling apart but i still have him sitting on the foot of my bed.

SMURFS. does anybody remember the smurfs. the little blue dudes that live in the mushrooms. now that i think about them they were really pervy. all of those smurfs and only one smurfet?and papa smurf and that whole living in the mushrooms thing?but hey look at all the things disney slips into their movies-

in captian planet the worst power was heart. the other powers make sense they were the elements, earth, fire, wind, water. but heart stupid as sh*t. the only reason they put it in was so that they would cover all of the major racial groups.

Advertisement