Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wierd folder

Options
  • 22-03-2004 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I have WinXp and on my desktop a New Folder keeps appering for no reason its called New Folder theres nout in it and i can delete it but its very anoying the way it keeps appering and there anyway to solve this problem ? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Update your virus signatures, and scan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

im just keeping this post alive because the folder is really bugging me !:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does it appear just after you delete it, just after you log on, when you run certain applications...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Have you tried

DEL %filename% /F

from a command prompt (cmd.exe)?

This will force the deletion of a read-only file/folder.

well the folder keeps coming back everytime i delete it ! WIERD i try to find the location of where it was coming from but to no avail but i ran all the spyware catchers but they find nothing !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's XP - don't forget that you can also inherit stuff from the Default user and All user profiles. And if you aren't an admin you might not have rights to see them.

so right click start button and "explore all users" and go through each user one at a time...

BTW: the location of profiles and user documents - office 95 / NT / win95 (depends on option in password in control panel) later versions of office 2K/XP - just keeps moving around every second version of windows or office - and that's before you take into account local policies or networking.. /RANT

Im the only User, I also gave the cmd line didnt work neither still comes back after about 50secs too 1 min its very wierd ! i dunno i try most things ! anyother ways to stop it from happenin ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

maybe there is some legitimate program running which has been set to create this folder all the time. I used to have a folder called "My Music" that kept appearing and eventually I figured out that it was some music playing app (I can't remember the name of it) that I had running in the background. It might be some program that you have configured to run all the time.

KR

Advertisement