Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PPVS in uk & Ireland

• 22-03-2004 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Everyone aware that as soon as the deal between BSKYB and WWE runs out all PPVS will actually be PPV for UK and Ireland.

Also there is going to be 14 PPVS this year. even one on a tuesday i think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

didnt know that at all.

what makes you think sky wont renew their current deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Sky probably will renew their deal as far as PPV's being free to view is concerned, it was just the five that were on box office they were having beef with.

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

from

http://www.wrestlingnewsworld.com/headlines/81895161.shtml

As reported earlier, WWE will run 14 PPVs this year with two in June and two in October. The two June PPVs will be on June 13th in Louisville [RAW PPV] and June 27th in Norfolk [SD! PPV]. They will then have their July PPV on the 11th in Hartford [RAW PPV].

In October, they will have a PPV on the 10th [SD! PPV] and one on the 19th [RAW PPV]. The show on the 19th will be an experimental Tuesday PPV. Smackdown will either be taped on Wednesday or air live that week.

The plan is also to have all WWE PPVs become PPVs in the U.K. as well once WWE's current deal with BSKYB expires later this year. In the past, some of WWE's PPVs aired on free TV in the U.K.

Aye i read that on 411 as well, but give it three flops in a row (and they will as nobody will pay for them every month, especially as the quality of them is deteriorating at an alarming rate. With only the main events keeping the PPV's alive. It'll be a matter of time when sky get them to free to view at a lesser price.

Either that or lose their UK fanbase.
    Nero

Originally posted by NeroTheExtreme
    Aye i read that on 411 as well, but give it three flops in a row (and they will as nobody will pay for them every month, especially as the quality of them is deteriorating at an alarming rate. With only the main events keeping the PPV's alive. It'll be a matter of time when sky get them to free to view at a lesser price.

Either that or lose their UK fanbase.
    Nero

I was thinking the exact same thing. there is only about 4 PPVs id be willing to pay for in a year. RR KOTR WMA and SS.

its amazing though how it works isnt it as its the norm to pay in the states but we in europe aint gonna put up with paying. I know i certainly ant afford that kind of added expense every month.

• Advertisement

You won't be paying for KOTR, that's (thankfully) been given the shaft!

As for how it works, it's simple, there's a lot more nutters in the US than there are in europe, their country is run by one! ;)

Nero

ditto what u guys are saying. if sky werent airing the majority of ppv's free i would more than likely find another hobby. and that isnt really an issue with the quality of the ppv's,(although from what ive heard some of the raw only ppv's are really pants) i just couldnt afford it. how much are they in the states now abou $50 aint it.

i would probly chip in with someone else and get 1 or 2 for the first year, but i couldnt see myself doing it on a consistant basis.

i think wwe would be cutting off their nose to spite their face as you could throw away insurrextion every year and the numerous little tours they do in england/europe

The RAW only PPV's are the cruelest joke known to humankind!

Bad Blood, sticking Nash in a main event? I had bets on him getting crippled on his way to the ring!

Unforgiven, Endings were blown left right and centre that night, Flair fell asleep by the ring and forgot to interfere in time, while Michaels and Ortan were trimmed down to ten minutes and change!

Armageddon, didn't see it, no comment although the main event wasn't too bad.

And we now have Backlash coming up, maybe Jesus H. Benoit may save us ;)
    Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Badd Bloods saving grace where Flair and Michaels (Match of the year) and Jericho and Whats his name... When he fed up the spear it rocked...

Hanza

Terrible PPV overall! Michaels saved the uppercard, but even he couldn't work miracles, not enough to save the entire PPV! :(

Nero

• Advertisement

how much do they actually cost when buying em over here? anyone?

the last one Royal Rumble was 21.99 Euro

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I cant see Sky going for 14 wwe ppv's a year, the 4 ppv's which they had on sky box office wasnt even worth their finanical effort to run as the buy rates were so poor (apart from royale rumble), I think Setanta Sports may pick up all the ppv's for a one year period to see how it goes or else both sky and wwe will hopefully come to some sort of a deal for 8 ppv's to be shown on sky sports once again for another 5 years, only way it will work methinks. If it came to all wwe ppv's being actual ppv's here I certainly would not be able to afford to pay each month, id fork out for rumble, wrestlemania, summerslam and suvivor series thats about it. It would kill wwe here in uk/ireland as most ppl would feel the same way, the difference between wwe fans in america and wwe fans here is that most of our fans are under 18 and cannot afford to pay for even 1 pay per view.

But can Setanta afford that?
    Me thinks not!

(Go back to work Gonzo :) )

Hanza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭markomac316

Its ridicilious asking us to pay.

In the U.S and Canada they are shown at 7.00pm over here its 1.00am, people will naturally fall asleep and you cant tape PPV's {well none of my friends cant and either can i}

If they were put on at a good hour then that is a different matter, but thats not gonna happen so asking for £15 for a program at 1.00am is disgraceful!.

I'd rather wait and buy the DVD when it came out if it was a good PPV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

how come you cant tape the ppvs, ive taped every ppv on sky box office, sky sports and setanta no problems over past 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Originally posted by Washout

In October, they will have a PPV on the 10th [SD! PPV] and one on the 19th [RAW PPV]. The show on the 19th will be an experimental Tuesday PPV. Smackdown will either be taped on Wednesday or air live that week.

That doesn't seem like a good idea. I can't imagine many people ordering both of those PPV's within the space of 9 days.

In the U.S and Canada they are shown at 7.00pm over here its 1.00am, people will naturally fall asleep and you cant tape PPV's {well none of my friends cant and either can i}

If they were put on at a good hour then that is a different matter, but thats not gonna happen so asking for £15 for a program at 1.00am is disgraceful!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

You feel strongly about it, don't you? ;)

Originally posted by markomac316

actually you are quite right....plus buying the dvd gives you the same thing at better quality for around the same price. the only shame is the waiting period plus the whole thing of watching it live.

a good surprise in a pay per view is always worth watching live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

you can watch all ppv at 3 hour intervils when they are ppv so i order them at 7 on the monday after the ppv and stay away from spoilers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Just as a matter of interest why can't you tape PPV wrestling?

Originally posted by a-hole
    you can watch all ppv at 3 hour intervils when they are ppv so i order them at 7 on the monday after the ppv and stay away from spoilers

they dont do that on NTL digitial im afraid.

iot may change now with setanta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

I taped PPV football the other day and there was no problem, why couldn't the wrestling be taped?

Just wondering is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

speculation at the moment folks, wont believe it until i see it in plain colour on sky when they announce it

wouldnt be to worried about this at all

shin

DVD for me, i can't wait for Royal Rumble to come out!! :)

Nero

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I can;t see them charging for PPVs not all them anyway. Most Sky customers pay up to 61 euro as it is so another 21 on top of that a month would be unaffordable to most people.

Aye, but Sky won't care if it means them saving money. Setanta would snap them up in a shot in the hope that some sucker will pay each month.

And there will be a few alas. :(
    Nero

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

A few yes but enough? Doubtful!

A lot of people out there get sky so they can see wrestling (maybe not the sole reason but certainly a part of it), and will be put off if they have to pay another 22 euro to see the main events.

• Advertisement

And to think i was gonna get the digital sports package!
    I think i'll pass now ;)

Nero

OK!

Plug VCR into TV, press record! You seem to be the only person here who cant record PPVs. Why? I got my digi box last week and everything is recording fine?

Hanza

Originally posted by NeroTheExtreme
    And to think i was gonna get the digital sports package!
    I think i'll pass now ;)

Nero

u dont happen to know how much that package is dya nero. im too lazy to look it up

about 50 euro a month and all your missing is the movie channals ( i might go back to that package movies are ****)

hmm, still quite expensive. do you get the 200 odd channels and the 10 or so discovery channels with that? discovery is amazing. best new channel weve got in years.

yes and if you think it would be cheeper to just have sky sports on its own (plus free chanels) it costs 46 euro

• Advertisement

Aye but the other chans aren't that great, nothing that would genuinely interest me.
    And if you think i'm nuts enough to shell out 50 bucks for RAW a month? ROFFLE!

Nero

I must be...But still its a valid point that a lot of people I know cant, and they always say they incript PPV's so they do intend for us to not be able to tape them.

they only encrypt the movies on sky box office so that we cant record them easily, they dont encrypt sporting/music ppv's at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

The royal rumble was a available on NTL on the PPV channel.
    I just subscribed to Sky Sports specialy for WMXX. If i have to pay for all the PPVs ill do without RAW.
    The deal dosent run out untill 2005 so thats two extra PPVs free this year at least. If the big four were PPVs (SS, WM, RR,SS) i think people would pay for them but 14 is just ridiculas. Maybe if they brought one or two of em this side of the pond and showed the delayed in the stats (they cant show wreslting before 8pm)

or pre-tape them like with Smackdown?

• Advertisement
Advertisement