Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Push to Talk (PTT) mobiles

• 22-03-2004 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I was just looking around the Nokia website there and I see that they are starting to introduce Push to Talk (PTT) handsets in the next few months such as the 5140. From what I can understand, it will allow your mobile phone to behave kinda like a walkie talkie, i.e one way real time voice comms between other PTT handsets, and is expected to cost about 10 times less than current 2-way call charges. Anyone know if the networks here are capable of PTT ? I gather it uses GPRS so does this mean that they can handle it without upgrading the cellular networks ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

it does use GPRS but it isn't just a matter of the operator supplying the handset, it's still early days and there still needs to be infrastructure added to handle the service, together with testing and decisions on how it will be billed, costings etc.

had a look at some demo Motorola handsets last week, you create a 'Buddy' list from which you can select individuals or groups to contact. press the PTT button once to bring up the list, select the person or group and press again to initiate the message. then it is played on the selected person's handset (so long as they aren't set to ignore PTT)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Originally posted by DubWireless
    had a look at some demo Motorola handsets last week, you create a 'Buddy' list from which you can select individuals or groups to contact. press the PTT button once to bring up the list, select the person or group and press again to initiate the message. then it is played on the selected person's handset (so long as they aren't set to ignore PTT)

BrianG

That sounds pretty cool. Was it strictly a handset demo or were they able to demonstrate real PTT ? Am I right in saying that PTT won't have a limited range, i.e you can use PTT to talk to anywhere in the world you could call on the regular 2-way network ? What's your best guess as to when we can expect it in Ireland ? Sorry for the barrage of questions.:)

it was very much a demo, and they were having a bit of difficulty getting a forward and back conversation running as they seemed to be running on a special implementation set up for the show (but that happens a many shows when trying to demo cutting edge tech)

the handsets were specially developed with a PTT button and had proper speaker grills at the back for sound output, they were working ok opening buddy lists and connecting etc.

i asked about range, and they said when testing in the US they had it working between cities no problem, but, it will all depend on how the operators implement it, and also how interoperability between networks and handsets pans out

still early enough days was the sense I got when walking way

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

PTT is a bit of a mystery to me. I can't see why mobile companies would want to encourage it as it takes away some of their revenue. Two things I have noticed in the US market:

a) The mobile co's charge a sub for the PTT facility - so it won't be free to chat on the "walkie-talkie" with your mates.

b) The cocept has been hijacked by commercial concerns. Many retailers now have PTT advertised in their windows allowing you talk to the retailer as you pass by. No doubt they will be broadcasting to yo, if you levae your PTT open like your bluetooth.

c) AFAIK the PTT facility is of limited range and less than what you would get from a regular 2 way radio.

it can also add to their revenue, all depends on how the implement/charge for it

i don't know anyone who suggested it was going to be free ;)

the PTT enabled handset isn't physically broadcasting it's local presence like a discoverable Bluetooth device does, the way the Moto demo showed it you pretty much build up a Buddy list much in the same way you do with an Instant Messenger client

communication takes place over the operators network not directly between handsets, PTT runs over GPRS using packet data, so the range will be determined by how the operator(s) implement the service, so they said it could extend as far as the GPRS network reaches

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The fact it is based on their GPRS network, it could be sent anywhere in theory, well anything that their network is connected too, such as the internet.

not sure how that 'fact' is different to what's already been said, but hey! although i'd leave the theoretical use of the technology for another time/thread... and perhaps in the context of this thread stick with talking about the implementations due in the near future (i.e between PTT enabled handsets)...

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I didn't realise that PTT was a hardware specific feature, is it not additional software to a standard phone? Anyways, the Irish operators were approached with this idea about a year ago. Although it was as a Symbian software package which could be operated on any Symbian series 60 phone. It worked fine on some 7650/3650's.

I could be referring to a completely different thing here now, so correct me if I'm wrong (please :)), but is it not like sending MMS's containing voice? Obviously optimised for ease of use as a voice communicator.

Moto had just enhanced their handsets (pretty much based on their V500/V600 models) with the extra PTT button and better speaker hardware

siemens had a handset where you had to go through the menu system to start it up - so they just went with the software implementation on a regular handset rather than tweaking the hardware like Moto did for their demo - although they said they could make a dedicated PTT button available if required...

a bit like MMS but the service was presented as more (near) real time ad-hoc walkie-talkie experience than the idea of preparing a message and storing messages in inboxes etc. - the idea they demoed was a walkie-talkie style voice service on enabled handsets between lists / groups of buddies

you're right there are already PTT style apps for symbian based handsets e.g. fastchat - although at the PTT demos last week they were talking about using the technology on 'regular' handsets and working towards interoperability etc. rather than relying on one OS

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I have been reading quite a bit lately about mobile phones with a Push to Talk function. That is where it acts much like a 2 way radio, you push a button and can talk to other people the way the police and other services do. Some service providers in the US and India already are providing the service. You pay a flat fee and you get unlimited push to talk calls. In most cases the flat fee is cheap.
    Siemens and Nokia have announced that all their phones will support this function from the 2005 range onwards.
    So my question is, is there any plans for Irish networks to implement the push to talk service and if so do you think they will follow the usual trend of charging us through the nose for access to this new service?

• Advertisement

The system that is being implemented in Europe is different to that akready implemented in the US I think, in that your message will be sent to the intended recipient by GPRS. In america it in done in a similar way to two way radios.... I think that is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I think the PTT feature in the States is largely in response to many families using 2-way radios to communicate when they go shopping in malls and other expeditions. You may laugh at this notion but it is true! It seems that the PTT has been hijacked by commercial interests. As you pass by a retailer you will be able to PTT to hear offers etc etc.. Over here we were promised more sophisticated location based services but looks like the Yanks have jumped the gun by using good old fashioned technology.

Doubt if the operators over here will be too happy with PTT as they will want everybody to be using 3G enabled services.

Originally posted by BrianD

Doubt if the operators over here will be too happy with PTT as they will want everybody to be using 3G enabled services.

They will love it. The PTT services will use the GPRS network and eventually the PS switched elements of the 3G network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi All,

I am buying a Nokia 6260 which has a push to talk feeature. Seemingly, this allows you to use the phone like a walkie-talkie.

Does anyone know does Vodafone support this in Ireland yet?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

As well as that, does anyone have a 6260 and if so what do they think of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

My mam has one and she thinks its grand. Only thing is the camera is a bit awkward to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

It's not supported by any Irish network. In fact, I don't know of any networks in Europe that use Push-To-Talk ;)

- Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

no i also donot think push to talk is available here in ireland. i know it is being tested in uk at the moment but it will be a while before it reaches our shores,as we are always the last in europe to get things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Yea i wondered what that was when i was over there, i think they have a different name for it, and that annoying sound that comes out, uhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JohnnyMobile

it certainly is not supported by Vodafone but as far as I know it is on their roadmap of services as it has been huge in the US. I know of a few opcos in europe that are implementing the service soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Are any of the mobile operators planning on using this technology?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

yes

looking at the next year or so but unlike the states it wont be free :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Typical! :rolleyes:
    I spent some time in the states before and PTT was ace over there. My mate had a bout 20 contacts he could talk to whenever he wanted for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi,
    Im going to be getting the 6230i fairly soon I think and was just wondering will I be able to use the push to talk feature on it?
    And doe sthe dynamic phonebook work?i.e. when you are scrolling through your phonebook you can tell the state of the person you want to call be it busy,unavailable out of coverage etc..

Thanks,

Hakko

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Both functions you mention are network dependant and at the monet neither are available . I know that Vodafone are looking at PTT , however not sure whether it will be implemented .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

exactly what I thaught..tut tut, Ireland is always behind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

yea i phoned o2 last week about this cos i got a 6101 and as usual we are behind everyone else when it comes too this sort of thing.. hopefully we'll have it sometime in 2006.. some of my mates in the states use ptt and say its the best thing ever :):) me want!! me want!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I really must be missing the point here, but why would anyone want PTT on a mobile phone? I can just about understand it in the States where you are charged for all normal in coming calls, but here? Why not go out and buy an old CB radio?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

sharkman wrote:
    Both functions you mention are network dependant and at the monet neither are available . I know that Vodafone are looking at PTT , however not sure whether it will be implemented .

yamigo.com

costs money for gprs traffic

Darragh

Advertisement