Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Push to Talk (PTT) mobiles

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

PTT? It is supported by the Nokia 6680. The US firmware image contains a PTT app which is located in the "connectivity" folder. The european firmware, which is what my phone is using, does not have it. I could just download a PTT app though.

I would like to see any feature that allows cheaper communication and I am all for undercutting the profit margins of companies like Vodafone, who IMHO are too big for our good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I also have the 6101, and find it hilarious that the networks are selling this phone, without being able to support one of it's main features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hunty

I recently got a Nokia 6230i and I had seen in many places that it had the 'Push To Talk' function. It's even in the manual!! However it is not in the menu on my phone. I know 'Push To Talk' isn't available in Ireland yet, but I heard that it will be in the near future.

Did Vodafone remove this function?

When is 'Push To Talk' coming to Ireland?

Is there any way for me to get this on my phone?

Can you give me more info on the concept of 'Push To Talk'?

Thanx for any replies:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Vodafone probably removed it. It's on Meteor and O2 phones.

I think it's a Walkie Talkie like function. It should be here by the summer I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Longfordian

PTT is by far the best application on mobile phones. I used it for years in the US and it is one of the things I miss most since moving to Ireland. I never sent a text message until I moved back home. Nextel was the provider in New York and they covered all of north america and Hawaii. You pay a flat monthly fee of about $40 and get unlimited calls. The sooner it gets here the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

I had a Ericsson phone around five years ago which had PTT button, however it was useless with out network support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hunty

Thanx for the replies.

But can anyone answer the reason why it isnt on my phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

because its vodafone as was said above. i suppose they didn't see any reason to leave a feature on the phone if you couldn't use it. if you get it re-flashed in a nokia centre they'll put it back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Because the networks don't support this feature. And,presumably it was removed as it is unneccessary & will lead to their tech. support being inundated with complaints and whining about the feature not working.. and to get you to upgrade when PTT hype comes to town. (Although, you could probably flash it ..ahem.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

from what i can see, ptt on mobiles is in fact sip from the voip world...

PTT operates on the same port (5060), sip has a codec called GSM, PTT travels over GPRS - an IP Network similar to what sip would use on the internet...

must read up on asterix see if theres specific ptt support. its such a dense topic to get into

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

from what i can see, ptt on mobiles is in fact sip from the voip world...

Correct. As was mentioned earlier, operators are currently in the process of moving from a predominantly circuit-switched network to a more packet orientated architecture. This will essencially mean that all mobile traffic will be handled by an IP-style network, similar to the Internet. So basically, in the future when you make a voice call on your mobile, it will take place over the Internet, in the exact same way as VOIP calls do today. SIP will provide call management functionality such as call sett-up, control and termination.
    PTT in all its glory (complete with active buddy lists etc) will sit on top of all these new protocols and technologies, and will be just another application or service that the operators will endeavour to make money from...
    Ciaran

Advertisement