Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Speed

Options
  • 22-03-2004 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I use a laptop computer at work which has an internal 56k modem. When I connect to the internet at work it operates at 49kbs speed.
    However when I try to connect at home (out in the country) my download speed drops right down to 19kbs.
    What could be causing that. Dose it mean that I have a poor quality line to my house. Can I get Eircom to do something about this problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Programmer

Yup, this issue is either your line or your modem cable.

How long is the cable? It should be no longer than 6 ft.

Also, ring Eircom (1901) and ask them to do a line test. Also see if they'll increase the "gain" on your line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Martin Egan

Thanks for quick reply. Just phoned Eircom on 1901 to be told that Eircom dose not guarantee any phone lines for internet use other than ADSL or ISDN lines. Internet use on standard phone lines will work but only at reduced speeds. Actual speeds achievable depend on many factors such as condition of local network etc,.

So long as the line carries voice ok then they will not do anything to improve my internet access speed.
    Talk about an arrogant shower of s...heads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The length of your cable won't have any effect. I used a have a 20ft cable and connected at 51K.

19K is ridiculously low. It sounds like you have a splitter on your line. Eircom used these so they could get away with sharing one line between several customers. They are illegal now, but getting Eircom to admit that you have one on your line is like pulling teeth. Other people have had mixed success with removing them.

search for Eircom + splitter + remove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by MrPinK
    The length of your cable won't have any effect. I used a have a 20ft cable and connected at 51K.

Not true. The error rates increase as the cable gets longer. It means data has to be resent which will make your connection slower.

I agree that is is very likely your phone line. You could try temporarily using a different ISP to see if you get speed increases just in case there are dodgy POPs in your area for your particular ISP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Martin Egan

Hi,

Just tried again on my home telephone line and am connected ay 21.6kbs. Another strange feature of connecting to internet on my home line is that even when I am connected albeit at a snails pace I can still hear the modem constantly dialling in the background. This is always the case not just tonight but this never happens at work.

How can this be explained. Is that the modem for some strange reason thinks it is not properly connected and continues to dial in an attempt to connect again.

PS I talked to a local guy who works for Eircom locally and he confirms I am on a split line but asked that I would not quote him on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by MrPinK
    They are illegal now

no they aren't (ComReg told me that directly, no matter what the CLFMP says, they are NOT illegal in any way).....sorry :(
    PS I talked to a local guy who works for Eircom locally and he confirms I am on a split line but asked that I would not quote him on that.

talk to him again... he's probably your best chance of getting rid of the damn thing ;)
    How can this be explained. Is that the modem for some strange reason thinks it is not properly connected and continues to dial in an attempt to connect again.

probably noise (most likely coming from the splitter) interfering with the modem..which will cause it to disconnect because it can't hold the signal

hth,
    andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Martin Egan
    I use a laptop computer at work which has an internal 56k modem. When I connect to the internet at work it operates at 49kbs speed.
    However when I try to connect at home (out in the country) my download speed drops right down to 19kbs.
    What could be causing that. Dose it mean that I have a poor quality line to my house. Can I get Eircom to do something about this problem.

You line is Pairgained ( Eircom call these Carrier lines) which means you are sharing most of your line back to the exchange with someone else. Nevertheless you pay full rental and get no discount for being discommoded in this way. Eircom can run more copper and rmove the pairgain . Email phil.nolan@eircom.ie . He is the boss.

When was the line installed, post April 2002 they should not have split it if it is a second line for internet use.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

to be told that Eircom dose not guarantee any phone lines for internet use other than ADSL or ISDN lines.
    They can't guarantee ISDN either :rolleyes: (ref: this thread

What happened with the ESB that time Eurorunner :D , and did you get rid of the killer telly ?

A sneakier person than I would order ISDN , or even better get my wife to do so. If there is nobody in the house during the day then Eircom cannot get in to finish the install by putting in the ISDN box (also known as the Hi Speed box) .

I would wait for the note in the letter box (and a dead line as well requiring that I report a fault on my line to 1901 the next morning) and eventually ring Eircom and say I ordered no such thing and tell them cancel it. If it was ordered by ' a woman ' it would be easy to prove I should think !

When ISDN is ordered they have to get rid of Pairgains on your line before they can finish the job . Its too much hassle to reinstall them afterwards so your line will be unsplit for the foreseeable future. If they reinstall a pairgain you have a great case against them but never order a second line from them.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

thats a very sneaky plan muck
    i like it

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Muck
    What happened with the ESB that time Eurorunner :D , and did you get rid of the killer telly ?
    M
    The killer telly in its present location works fine. As regards the ESB, When it was first suggested, it was supposed to be a 'rural' solution so i suppose i was hoping/dreaming that it would extend out this way:D
    what DID happen with that then.:confused:..last thing i heard they hadnt even started..vapourware of the highest quality.

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    The killer telly in its present location works fine. As regards the ESB, When it was first suggested, it was supposed to be a 'rural' solution so i suppose i was hoping/dreaming that it would extend out this way:D

I meant the line voltage/wiring in your house that affected the Hi Speed box and not the top secret 'Project Hum Along With Tuam'.

M

No. i can only imagine that it goes back to what b. minish said at the time of my original thread - if the line was ok, then there would be no problem with electrical interference.
    They were back out here a few weeks ago after a lightening storm - took them a week to patch up the line. On the day they fixed it, i counted 6 eircom vans at different points along the road between the house and exchange (4 miles) - which indicates to me that the line must be rightly fécked.

There have been a couple of threads since then from people who couldnt get isdn. It must be the state of the lines.

Advertisement