Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Vs. Arsenal

• 22-03-2004 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

A bit early but i'm really really looking forward to this game.

A derby match to begin with, this is probably the most important match both clubs have left this season with Arsenal looking set for the PL title and Chelsea having only the CL as a chance at winning the title.

Quite simply, you couldn't bet against Arsenal. Their only weakness seems to be when they take thier foot of fthe pedal, but they seem to thrive as long as the oppostion doesn't give up. I can't see Chelsea giving up.

Whatever about the difference in class between the teams (and its still evident) I think Arsenal playing the second leg at home will be the crucial factor. If Arsenal score more than one on wednesday and don't lose, the tie is over.

Still, with Duff back Chelsea should offer more than in recentgames against the gunners, although I'm wondering if the fact that Raneiri is all but resigned to leaving Stamford Bridge will have any effect on team performance.

Arsenal to win the First leg, scoring two.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

HI Mate

Just have a sneaky feeling that Chelsea will win! seen there FA Cup game and Chelsea over ran Aresenal in first half but just hadnt the cuttin edge!! Hence this is where Duff comes into play! if ever there was a game for the Irish man 2 show wat he can do it is this game.....also he is up against Lauren who isnt the best right back in the world by a long shot!! changed by Wenger from a right midfielder to this position!! I think this is where Arsenal have a weakness...along with mop head goalie!!

Chelsea to win but maybe by away goal or nick it by one!! but I have to agree wit you that it will be a cracking tie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I think Chelsea will win.
    In fact I think if Milan don't win the CL Chelsea will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Lehmann is not a weakness by any means - he's a hell of a lot better at coming for a cross than Seaman ever was, that's for sure.

Arsenal are going to win this tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Arsenal have beaten Chelseas at a canter twice recently, I would have no reason to believe that Chelsea are capable of beating arsenal over two legs with Arsenal having the slight advantage of playing the Second leg at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I suspect Chelsea might win it, just because if they win the CL its the only wayu the manager will keep his job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Lehmann is not a weakness by any means - he's a hell of a lot better at coming for a cross than Seaman ever was, that's for sure.

Totally disagree there mate. I think Lehman is well dodgy, especially coming for crosses, so much so that even the commentary crew on Sky or ITV pointed it out the other night.
    I think he has been quite lucky this season due to a strong defence. I also think he has a really bad temperament, he always seems to be arguing with other players or the ref.

Interesting to see that Paddy Power are offering 8-5 for a Chelsea win and 8-5 for an Arsenal win, with the draw being 11-5. Bookies can’t even call it!!!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

It's a disgrace that a Team in 2nd Place would be getting rid of their Manager.
    This highlights how badly the money has f*cked up footy!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's widely expected Ranieri is getting the sack at the end of the season if he does win the CL, which he won't. Abramovich doesn't like his style and wants a new man in, strangely enough Martin O'Neill is the name being bandied about :)

Can't find it in the Times online but there was a front page piece about it in yesterday's Sunday Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Arsene Wenger at Chelsea. Now that would be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Mop head is useless!! u see how he played at the weekend?? dont know how Bolton didnt score more!! and in regards to moanin!! anyone walks by him and he is runnin up to the Ref crying like a baby!!

If I was the ref would give him a clip behind the ear and tell him to back to Germany and have another fight wit Kahn......hahaha.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

arsenal will shade it over the 2 legs but a really good performance in the first leg can tie up the tie imo
    I think arsenal are trying to tie up the leg as qucikly as possible so that they can rest players further on in the CL.

maybe chelsea should go after fergie for a new manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Reckon Chelseas best hope is try and rattle Chelsea, European refs are noted for being lenient early in games. Play dirty and if Arsenal get rattled who knows what they are capable of doing a leapord never changes his spots - still think there is a dirty streak there.

BTW which players are on 2 yellows - that could have a big beaing on the 2nd leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Arsene Wenger at Chelsea. Now that would be funny.

Allow me to be the first to say 'WTF????'

I've heard people say "Chelsea have to beat Arsenal sooner or later", and that is one way of looking at things. On the other hand, this year's Arsenal team have shown that they are well capable of beating Chelsea time and again. I'd be more inclined to use that logic, and hence go for Arsenal.

Raineri tends to play Duff on the right-wing these days, so I'd be surprised if you see him up against dodgy Lauren. Its more likely to be Gronjkaer - the man who can run, but not cross.

Lehmann is dodgy as hell, but you have to have at least one player of comedy value in every team! :) I'm sure Arsenal's good disciplinary record will have a calming effect on him! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I suspect chelsea will play very conservative football at home, probably with 1 up front and maybe looking for Duff / Gronks to support, try and steal a goal and dominate midfield buut not throw everything into the attack. Preventing Arse scoring has to be the main priority, if Chels can take a 1 goal lead / draw to highbury then they have a chance to go through , if Arse have a 1 or 2 goal cushion Chelsea can say bye bye to the CL for another year.

Arsene Wenger won't go to Chelsea. Ferguson won't go to Chelsea. O'Neill might but I don't think he's got the experience to qualify for the job, he would however be an interesting replacement for the hard-done-by Cluadio.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If it was a one-off game I wouldn't be confident, but over 2 legs i expect Arsenal to win.

Lehmann is a good keeper. He's had the odd dodgy game that's all. In the premiership this season Arsenal have conceded an average of 0.655 goals per game compared to 1.1 last season, basically half. Kolo Toure has been a revelation in defence but you don't half the number of goals you conceed with a shit keeper. It's his style of play, he makes the odd mistake as he has a slightly risky role of 'sweeper-keeper' for which people who don't watch him regularily crucify him for, while the saves, catches & clearances which he does week in, week out, go unnoticed.

And what has his temperament got to do with stopping the ball going in the goal? Unless he gets himself sent off, which he hasn't done. Personally I think his crazy streak helps keep the defence in shape, he's a LOT more communicative than Spunky was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Chelsea to win.

Gudjonssen and Crespo up front.

Duff on the left. would like to see Mutu on the right wing. he tends to pull out wide a lot and would probably be very good going forward(if not so good defensively).

Chelsea have to win at home by 2 clear goals or they will be turned over at highbury.

I think Abramovich is right to get rid of ranieri, he never leaves the team alone! alays making changes, even if the team won by 4 or 5 the last game!

O'Neil would be the man for the job alright, he has plenty of experience and knows how to get the most from his players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Arsenal all the way id say lads chelsea cant beat them no way look at the record of chelsea v arseal matches already this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

1-0 arsenal at the bridge and 2-1 at highbury:D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

I'm going to go for Chelsea. They might not have beaten Arsenal in the Premiership or FA Cup but their main players have more experience of the big european nights I feel. This is what they're all about and its all they've left. If they get themselves up for it I'd fancy them to have a better side on paper.

Also on the Chelsea job I pity whoever gets it. Its a poisoned chalice. Whoever the new boss signs will take time to fit in to an already ungelled side andif they don't produce straight away they'll be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

Originally posted by TheMuppet

Arsenal have beaten Chelseas at a canter twice recently, I would have no reason to believe that Chelsea are capable of beating arsenal over two legs with Arsenal having the slight advantage of playing the Second leg at home.
    Agreed 2nd leg at home is big advantage.

However, I sometimes wonder if the memory plays tricks as the season wears on . . . I seem to recall headlines along the lines of Arsenal being lucky to win against Chelsea. In more than one of their three meetings.
    To be honest, as hot as Arsenal have looked against most opposition, I have to back the opinion that they've not been able to turn it on to the same effect against top opposition to date. They certainly didnt at OT, and I'm fairly sure they didnt lord it over Chelsea.

Also, I agree with the point about the experience in the Chelsea lineup (at least 3 European club winners in there), and the mental advantage that might hold. Mentally, Arsenal have been notoriously weak up to this season, but nows their time to prove themselves.

If Arsenal win these four games over Man U and Chelsea, then without question they're the team of the season in England, because nows crunch-time, when they usually flop. But there's time enough, and talent enough in their opposition, to still turn this into another nearly-year for Wenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Arsenal were at home for the first leg I'd definitely go for Chelsea to win but I can't see it happening now. Mind you, Chelsea have a very good away record in the premiership and Europe (they won all 4 matches away). Also, they have 22 clean sheets this season and if they win by the odd goal tomorrow they could probably keep a clean sheet at Highbury.

One things for sure, I'll be shocked if Arsenal come through the next four games undefeated.

Mentally, Arsenal have been notoriously weak up to this season, but nows their time to prove themselves.

wtf???please explain this

mentally weak, show me a team that is mentally stronger then casue i cant see one

in fact they are the strongest team mentally imo
    you dont get a 29 game unbeaten run in the league being weak mentally and knocking out all premiership teams on the way to the semi in the fa cup(and dont forget the comeback in europe!):rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    One things for sure, I'll be shocked if Arsenal come through the next four games undefeated.
    maybe they will lose but then again if they do they could still be on course for the treble! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Mentally, Arsenal have been notoriously weak up to this season, but nows their time to prove themselves.

Yes, they looked a shambles when storming to the League and FA Cup double two years ago....get a clue ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

In a way, I agree with the statement. In the Champions League, we have tended to look mentally weak. However, the fact that the game is against English opposition I think will actually counter that feeling.

I'd be surprised if Arsenal win the next 4 games, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they remained undefeated. Winning the first 2 would send a massive adrenaline rush through the team, and confidence would be sky high. That outcome is entirely possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I read this thread for the first time today and i have to say im Shocked !!! :eek: , the majority of people are going for chelsea .

Since chelsea havent beaten arsenal in six years this is truly astonashing.

People were calling arsenal weak (well if they are so must Ac milan real madrid and bayern munich )

The thing commentators were saying about Lehmann and crosses is he hates any player challenging him for a ball in the air(he feels goalkeepers dont get enough protection in the premiership )

I think the fact Arsenal got all Premiership teams was easier for them. You know what to expect so theres no major upset. Lower division teams have more to play for against the big boys, no coincidence that Millwall/Sunderland/Tranmere etc went so far cause its difficult nowadays against the lower division teams.

And yeah Chelsea haven't beaten Arsenal in years but this is a different competition with a different Chelsea team. They've beaten them 3 times already but there was no one game among them that Arsenal totally dominated. The Chelsea players are big stage players and I'd expect them to do it whereas Arsenal tend to suffer in the CL. I think the fact that they've drawn another Premiership team has helped them though

Was just thinking too actually. Imagine if Utd had got thru against Porto and drawn Arsenal. That would be Man U v Arsenal four times in a very short period!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Big Ears
    I read this thread for the first time today and i have to say im Shocked !!! :eek: , the majority of people are going for chelsea .
    I just looked over the posts again and most of the people are saying Arsenal will win but Chelsea "can win if..."

I definitely think Chelsea will win tomorrow but after that they have little chance. They are 9/5 to win tomorrow, i'd recommend a few quid on Chelsea at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 syngin

I read this thread for the first time today and i have to say im Shocked !!! , the majority of people are going for chelsea .

Most people are (sorry for the pun) gunning for chelsea in the game of the season is because CL is getting so much stick in Engerland.
    He deserves a lot of credit for what he has done. I'd say judging by last nights encouter though that kaka will be on his way to Chelski next season. what a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by doozerjack

However, I sometimes wonder if the memory plays tricks as the season wears on . . . I seem to recall headlines along the lines of Arsenal being lucky to win against Chelsea. In more than one of their three meetings.
    To be honest, as hot as Arsenal have looked against most opposition, I have to back the opinion that they've not been able to turn it on to the same effect against top opposition to date. They certainly didnt at OT, and I'm fairly sure they didnt lord it over Chelsea.

I watched both games so I headlines would have no bearing on my opinion. In the first Chelase were on top for the first half and had a good goal disallowed that would have put them 2 up. In the second half of that game Arsenal dominated
    and I believe they could have scored more if the needed to particularly after Cudichini went off. The second game Chelseas looked a beaten team from the off and didn,t look like a team that believed they could beat the gunners.

Tonights game may be different because Chelase will be at full strength and should be really up for it but the Gunners have no reason to think they can not win and I expect arsenal to score 2 goals tonight leaving chelsea with a near impossible task in the second leg. I hope for a good game but if chelsea play as they did in the last game it will be over tonight.

I hope I,m wrong asI am looking forward to a good match. I would prefer Chelseas to win because of the Irish interest and the more I see Ranners interviewed the more I like him and feel he doesn,t deserve the speculation surrounding his position.
    Originally posted by doozerjack

If Arsenal win these four games over Man U and Chelsea, then without question they're the team of the season in England, because nows crunch-time, when they usually flop. But there's time enough, and talent enough in their opposition, to still turn this into another nearly-year for Wenger.

Obviously anything is possible Matheatically but I think last season hurt the Gunners so much that they will not let it happen again this year. United went on a run after Xmas last year that really put the pressure on Arsenal, that has not happened this year, they have enought breathing space to be able to afford a a slip up or two and still win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

I think that this is the time of the season where arsenal are going to loose a few games!!! they will loose one if not two of the united games and as for chelsea while imo they will be two great games chelsea will come out top just!!! these predictions are not because i am a united fan tring to put down arsenal, but its my honest opinion on how i think it will go!!! on a side note i'd like to say well done to the arsenal team cos they have played some excellent football this season!!! enjoy it while it lasts cos united will be back next season stronger that ever:) (i hope!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Arsenal got a bit lucky in some of their wins against chelsea this year so I think chelsea are due a bit of luck.

Hope Ranieri wins something

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

At the moment Arsenal are top of the PL undefeated with 3 wins against Chelsea already this season. Even with the 29 undefeated games Arsenal have actually gotten better as the season has gone on - less draws since xmas etc and no CL defeat.

If this game was 90 minutes and at Stanford bridge then I would say that each team had a 50/50 chance, but I cannot see Chelsea winning over a 180 minute period - even if Arsenal play poorly tonight and Chelsea get an advantage I cant see it happening twice.

In the three games against Chelsea this season Arsenal have come from behind to win 2-1 on all 3 occasions (correct me if I am wrong). If Arsenal score first tonight then I cant see them losing the overall tie - Chelsea seemed to go missing when they are behind. Tonights game is the most import of the 2 for Chelsea - they have to keep a clean sheet and hope to score - even a 0 - 0 wouldn't be a bad result as a goal at highbury would leave the gunners needing 2. But Arsenal rearly play a game without scoring and that could be a big issue for Chelsea.

I think mentally Arsenal have an advantage over Chelsea and I think they could be going back to highbury with a 2 goal advantage and the tie all but over

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Actually, thats a good point. It will be interesting to see how CR approaches the match. Chelsea are quite cautious under him (one of the reasons Abramovich doesn't like him) and knowing that if it comes down to firepower Arsenal will most probably win, its very important to avoid more than one away goal. So will CR go for a defensive approach tonight?

However, doing that with arsenal is basically falling on your own sword! If you sit back they will tear you apart. Its probably going to be a very interesting game tactically with lots of counter attacking football!

I still think Arsenal will score two tonight. I think they have failed to score 3 times in over a hundred matches against english opposition, thats just madness and doesn't bode will for a cheslea clean sheet. If that happens I would say Chelsea need a 2 goal cushion to have a hope in the second leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I'd hate to see Arsenal do the treble so I'll be supporting Chelsea tonight. If Duff plays well I reckon Chelsea might just nip it.

good article here on what arsenal have to live up to

worth a read anyway and its fairly balanced too

go here!!

I haven't been looking forward to match like this (when I don't support either team) in a long, long time and that is really down to the reason Duff is playing.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    I haven't been looking forward to match like this (when I don't support either team) in a long, long time and that is really down to the reason Duff is playing.

Yep! Same here! I really hope he has a good game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

it'll be interesting to see how many yellows , free kicks there are in the game tonite, Spanish ref won't be very familiar with the style of tackles from PArker, Lampard and Terry. A lot of free kicks would probably favour Arse as Chelsea don't have a decent free kick taker since Zola left, however every time Duff gets the ball he is fouled so there might be a few chances going to Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I fully expect at least 1 red card tonight and judging by Wengers comments earlier he is too. My money is on Lauren or Makelele.

Originally posted by kida
    I fully expect at least 1 red card tonight and judging by Wengers comments earlier he is too. My money is on Lauren or Makelele.

Really? Ashley Cole would be my first bet in any match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would love to see Henry get worked up. It is unlikely to happen I know, the only bit of real emotion I have seen from him is when he was taking that penalty and Danny Mills was giving him all that grief.

If there is a bit of passion in the game then it will be a cracker.

33-1 for Ashley cole first sent off and Arsenal to win 2-1, asked in Bruces Betting :)

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Would love to see Henry get worked up. It is unlikely to happen I know, the only bit of real emotion I have seen from him is when he was taking that penalty and Danny Mills was giving him all that grief.

If there is a bit of passion in the game then it will be a cracker.

33-1 for Ashley cole first sent off and Arsenal to win 2-1, asked in Bruces Betting :)

Hehe, Henry comes from the Wenger School of Calm. Saw a documentary once, comparing Fergie and Wenger. Lee Dixon was saying that the closest he ever saw Wenger to throwing a tantrum was when he crushed a paper cup and threw it across the room...........then he walked over picked it up and put it in the bin.

33-1 isn't a bad bet on that.

Originally posted by syke
    Hehe, Henry comes from the Wenger School of Calm. Saw a documentary once, comparing Fergie and Wenger. Lee Dixon was saying that the closest he ever saw Wenger to throwing a tantrum was when he crushed a paper cup and threw it across the room...........then he walked over picked it up and put it in the bin.

LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

As an Arsenal fan I can't wait for tonights game. I'm sitting here in work but can't get a tap done as I can't stop thinking about the game!

It's a very hard result to predict but I'm hoping Arsenal win (obviously). I'm putting a my money on Henry to score first and Arsenal to win 2-1. €10 returns €210

I've also got a ticket to the second leg in Highbury. Can't bloody wait !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by ErinGoBrath

Lucky you:D :D

I've also got a ticket to the second leg in Highbury. Can't bloody wait !!

who did ya manage that now!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by ErinGoBrath
    As an Arsenal fan I can't wait for tonights game. I'm sitting here in work but can't get a tap done as I can't stop thinking about the game!

It's a very hard result to predict but I'm hoping Arsenal win (obviously). I'm putting a my money on Henry to score first and Arsenal to win 2-1. €10 returns €210

That bet will get you 260 in paddy powers, had a fiver on it myself, seems like a good shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement