Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB connection and Xbox

• 22-03-2004 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

Can anyone help with the question below.

I have recently purchased an Xbox and was looking to connect to Xbox live. At the moment I have the following setup:

I have an existing Broadband connection with UTV that is connected to a PC and then shared out to 2 others via a 10/100 LAN... can you connect the XBox to this LAN using standard Cat5 network cable? or does the Xbox have to be directly connected to phone line?

Considering changing the hub to a wireless network. Assuming the Xbox works on a LAN will this cause a problem? I will connect 3 PC's to the hub thru wireless and have the Xbox connect through cable to it

Not really worried about the wireless prob at the moment because can deal with this once I have the wireless cards and so on but anyone know about the question above???

Thanks

Comments

I have an existing Broadband connection with UTV that is connected to a PC and then shared out to 2 others via a 10/100 LAN... can you connect the XBox to this LAN using standard Cat5 network cable? or does the Xbox have to be directly connected to phone line

I'm assuming you are using Connection sharing in XP?
    Yes standard cat5 cable will do nicely. The Xbox only has a network card so you cannot connect it straight to the phone you must go through the lan/router.
    Considering changing the hub to a wireless network. Assuming the Xbox works on a LAN will this cause a problem? I will connect 3 PC's to the hub thru wireless and have the Xbox connect through cable to it

You can get a wireless dsl router which will nicely suit your needs. Just replace your exisiting dsl box with it. You can get ones with a switch/hub built in so you can still use your xbox as you cannot put a wireless card in your xbox. Peats of Parnell street are doing a nice one for €150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by ronoc
    You can get a wireless dsl router which will nicely suit your needs. Just replace your exisiting dsl box with it. You can get ones with a switch/hub built in so you can still use your xbox as you cannot put a wireless card in your xbox. Peats of Parnell street are doing a nice one for €150.

If connecting to an Xbox, it is neccesary to have a switch/hub built in to a router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Thanks Ronac

Exactly the info I needed!!

In regards to the wireless was going to get this setup from Komplett....seems good value

Wireless NIC
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=122836&cks=PRL

Wireless Gateway
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=120287&cks=PRL

Not sure if this is better value but usually komplett are better than peats so I dont bother going into town to check there prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by neokenzo
    If connecting to an Xbox, it is neccesary to have a switch/hub built in to a router?
    It is not necessary to have a switch/hub built in to a router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by neilbrady79
    Wireless Gateway
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=120287&cks=PRL

Before you part with any money, neil, just be aware that this particular 3Com box does not have a DSL modem built in, nor does it have a USB connection for your UTV modem. There are all-in-one boxes out there, by various manufacturers, or you could get an ethernet modem instead of the USB one.

• Advertisement

B**t**d........any recommendations people for a gateway that wud do the trick????

B**t**d........any recommendations people for a gateway that wud do the trick????
    This is pretty popular. (€123)

Hi There,

Anyone used this before?? looks like a class bit of equipment:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=WAG54G&pm=1517

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

You seem to be a knowledgeable lot about thinsgs broadband. How do I connect my PS2 to the net. I have utv clicksilver with a zxyel modem. The playstation has a usb on the front, do I connect the modem to it. I also have a wireless network setup using ICS. Can I get a wireless card for the ps2 as its not near my computer.
    Thanks

Depends is that a USB modem from UTV?

If your sharing the connection from the your computer using internet connection sharing you should be able to plug the ps2 in using its network gaming adaptor as normal.

If its a router and connects using the ethernet card you can just plug a network cable straight into the ps2s network adaptor.

Not that framiliar with gettin the ps2 online but I assume it will be as easy as the Xbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

I thinkyou have to buy a PS2 network adaptor/card as well??

Originally posted by Pataman
    I have utv clicksilver with a zxyel modem. The playstation has a usb on the front, do I connect the modem to it.
    No. You can't connect your PS2 directly to that modem.
    I also have a wireless network setup using ICS. Can I get a wireless card for the ps2 as its not near my computer.
    You'll have to get a PS/2 network adapter first. I don't think they make a wireless one, so you'd have to add the network adapter first, and then get a "wireless bridge" device to get a wireless connection.

This page describes using this sort of device. But you've got to get the network adapter first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

Hi There,

Anyone used this before?? looks like a class bit of equipment:

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/product.asp?pr=WAG54G&pm=1517

i've a wrt54g which looks to be pretty much the same but it doesn't take a phone line - it takes a normal ethernet cable for internet - works a treat - you can do lots of firmware changes for extra functionality. am using it now actually - i have it wireless to the laptops and rj45'd to the xbox - it's using NAT on iolbb with the zyxel config changed so that it acts as a bridge and the wrt54g does the PPPOE

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008DOYO/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/026-6783954-2873269

Yeah I think I will go with that router........now anyone ever used this wireless NIC?? USB connection which is handy.....looks good as well

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=122836&cks=PRL

Going 2 go wit this setup anyway! buyin in next month so anyone want feedback just drop me a PM and I will give u updates on how hardware comes together....also anyone wit spare Computer desk gimme a shout....2 many PC's not enough room....hahaha

Advertisement