Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting libel case

Options
  • 22-03-2004 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

I think folks here would be interested in following this case.

An Irish weblogger, Gavin Sheridan (he currently lives in England, I think), has been threatened with a suit from some Californian lawyers over something he wrote online last November.

I don't want to get the guy in any more trouble so I won't repeat the specific allegations here (libel damages can, apparently, be assessed based on how widely the allegations spread).

All the details are here and here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭williamgrogan

One way to flush out con artists IS to call them fraudsters.

Now I’m not suggesting that boards.ie or Davros should take this risk but I am thinking of it. Stephen Barrett does use legal avenues to persue fraudsters and seems to win far more than he loses.

The most important thing is that you are correct and accurate in what you say.

A properly structured “insult” can force the insulted one to issue proceedings and if they lose they are then branded as a whatever-you-called-them.

Is this not what happened to Oscar Wilde?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, there goes an enjoyable hour of my time that my employers will never get back :D

Advertisement