Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing an MP3 player from the States

Options
  • 22-03-2004 2:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations for the best way to import an MP3 player from the US? I have a buddy in the States who's happy to accept delivery and reship it for me, but I'm wary of shipping it USPS at the moment, given the stories I've been hearing about GLS. I'm guessing I might be better off shipping it with Fedex, DHL, UPS or another carrier, but which one? Also, do I risk getting hit up for duty even though it'll come from a private address?

Any hints or tips would be great.

Thanks,
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

FEdex is fine.
    Get him to rebox it and make sure that the customs form is marked as "Gift".

Just dont have them (your friend) rebox it in an amazon box!
    (dont ask:ninja: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Ironically enough I just sent an iPod to a mate of mine in Limerick from here (NYC) last Monday.

I think it was a UPS guy who came to pick it up cos I think they're the peeps who come to the office the most. All I know is he got it on Friday!

I took everything out of the box and bubble wrapped it. BTW If its an ipod you could unfold the box and include it.

HTH
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Also, do I risk getting hit up for duty even though it'll come from a private address?

Absoloutley. My wife made the mistake of sending my mother-in-law some jewlery via UPS and marked it as such (and marked it as a gift, which is what it was). On her birthday, my mother-in-law got a call from UPS in Dublin asking for 100 Euro VAT/Import duty on it. Lovely.

I would strongly recommend any of the trackable services such as UPS/Fed Ex/DHL. A friend sent home an Ipod via normal mail - non-trackable (though she asked for trackable). The package went AWOL for about 8 weeks and eventually turned up. At least with UPS and the rest you have an accountable company and can see where the package is, not like standard post.

Advertisement