Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropkick Murphys

Options
  • 22-03-2004 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody any opinions? Went to see their hometown gig in Boston the weekend before last and was blown away. A gang of us went over for the weekend. Two of the lads that went were big fans and went to 3 of their 5 gigs and they also went to their Charity breakfast that they had on the Saturday morning where they got guestlisted for the Saturday night gig.
    To be honest, it was the first I’d heard of them but I’ve definitely become a fan. The build up before they came on stage was amazing. They started with a Billy Bragg song, I can’t think of the name of it, but if anybody does know it please let me know. Then they played “The Long Black Veil” by Sinead O’Connor and The Cheiftans followed by a guy playing Bag-pipes on stage and then into the gig. Absolutely excellent!! They seem to have a great rapport with the fans too. On two occasions the stage was packed with fans doing their stuff, and they seem to have fairly wide fan base also, could be the Irish connection.
    The supporting band were excellent too, a band called Darkbuster, well worth checking out.

Sorry for the long post, just felt that I needed to share!!! ;)

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

One of the best live bands I've ever seen, eh... live. You're right about the fan base alright. Don't really know what that's about. I saw them a couple of years ago in London as support to the Sex Pistols. Everyone (who was there early enough to see them) was totally into them. A few who knew they were playin' obviously, what with all the Irish flags flyin' about the place. But there were definitely people there who never heard of them before who seemed to enjoy the set. Missed their gig last year at the Village but this year's one in TBMC was brilliant too. People jumpin' off the stage the whole way through without any bother from the bouncers about it. Was excellent. Their CD's are good, but not nearly as good as seeing them live. They have a few live CD's though (Recorded on St. Patrick's day and the like). Worth picking up...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Got a couple of their tracks free with a Distillers album off audiolunchbox.com and they're excellent. Do or Die and Finnegans Wake. Any recommendations on what to get next?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I got their latest album "Blackout" at the gig and it hasn't been out of my CD player since I got home! Top Stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i think their effect is best felt in a live event, not that they're cd's are bad :p

Advertisement