Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Electric Goods Online

• 22-03-2004 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Was looking to buy a Decent Shaver. Looked in the Usual places Argos etc. Seemed a bit expensive. Was wondering what is the best place Online???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

www.amazon.co.uk are normally a lot better than Argos etc. Certainly worth checking out for price differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 gadget junkie

There's just one thing I do not like about Amazon UK,
    they offer free "Super Saver" delivery on some items but not to the Irish Republic,
    they will deliver free to Belfast or Derry, but not to a Dublin or any other ROI address,

delivery rates are about the same from the UK, there are no customs or extra charges involved, this is just plain discrimination,

They will not get any more of my money until this changes

for free delivery of DVD Movies try
    www.play.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by gadget junkie
    There's just one thing I do not like about Amazon UK,
    they offer free "Super Saver" delivery on some items but not to the Irish Republic,
    they will deliver free to Belfast or Derry, but not to a Dublin or any other ROI address,

delivery rates are about the same from the UK, there are no customs or extra charges involved, this is just plain discrimination,

They will not get any more of my money until this changes

for free delivery of DVD Movies try
    www.play.com

It is a pain in the arse that Amazon don't have the free shipping to Ireland. However, there arent many other sites that sell stuff like electric shavers for cheaper that deliver to Ireland at all. It's all well and good saying you won't buy from them until they ship here for free, but unless you have a cheaper alternative it is prity counterproductive.

Play.com are an excellent source of DVDs and games, it's a shame they dont ship any of their gadget section to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Genghis

Amazon are usually responsive to their customers, and afaik the Irish customers are among the best (if not the best) spenders worldwide from Amazon. I remember reading they were even considering an Amazon.ie version of their site.

I wonder would it be worthwhile if a number of regular spenders on Amazon let them know. If what you say is true re: difference in postal charges, then it could well be an oversight. On the other hand, perhaps they have some arangement with Royal Mail whereby the usual postal rates don't apply - for example, Amazon might pre-sort UK mail to achieve discount with Royal Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 gadget junkie

I have e-mailed Amazon customer support about this, I just got a bland reply, they said this offer is only available to UK adresses without giving the reasonimg behind it,
    My point is; there is no such thing as a free lunch, Amazon put the delivery costs into the price they charge, So ROI customers are paying twice,
    This may be an oversight, some of their staff may imagine that all mail to the ROI has to go by Air [or camel train] most parcel mail is transported by container

As an Amazon customer I was quite happy paying for delivery on a level playing field,
    but while they offer free delivery to UK only, I will not buy at Amazon UK,
    If all of their ROI customers did the same i am sure they would change their policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It might be worthwhile starting something of a boycott....Or even mentioning it in your sig, becuase it sounds like a trivial issue, but its the bloody principal of the thing. Gaah!

Advertisement