Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Squad Vs. Czechs

• 22-03-2004 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Big news is O'Shea is left out. I wonder is that at Fergie's bidding or has he been dropped due to poor form? Certainly Finnan would look better at LB.

Kinsella is back and McPhail or Delap might get a chance now.

Republic of Ireland squad: Given (Newcastle United), Colgan (Hibernians), Kenny (Sheffield United), Finnan (Liverpool), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Dunne (Manchester City), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Carr (Tottenham Hotspur), Harte (Leeds United), Carsley (Everton), Delap (Southampton), Kinsella (West Bromwich Albion), McPhail (Leeds United), Holland (Charlton Athletic), Kilbane (Everton), Reid (Nottingham Forest), Duff (Chelsea), Lee (Cardiff City), Connolly (West Ham United), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Morrison (Birmingham City).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

whens the game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Big news is O'Shea is left out. I wonder is that at Fergie's bidding or has he been dropped due to poor form?

Well i hope it is due to poor form and it was Kerr who dropped him. He was the biggest disapointment imo of the qualifiers. I dont think he has ever had a good game for ireland and maybe that would be the kick up the arse he needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by bizmark
    whens the game ?

31st of march, in retrospect it lookslike he's omitted those involved in cup clashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Harte!!! Why oh why!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by Kone
    Harte!!! Why oh why!!!!

In case we get a penno!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by seansouth
    In case we get a penno!

Oh so he can miss again, I still haven't forgiven him for the Spain one!!1

No O'Shea??? emmm wonder why that is Finnan hasn't played all that much lately has he??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

big suprise that Harte is include IMO... (only 14 games for Leeds this season..) I wont kill the man for trying...

Maybe he'll play Kilbane at left back...

the Sunderland (Breen, McAteer) players are not included because of the FA cup semi-final match on the 4th April.. same could probably be said about O'Shea and why he is not included...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

from fai.ie:
    O’Shea, McAteer and also Sunderland’s Gary Breen have been left out because all three are involved in FA Cup semi-final clashes on the weekend following the Czech game.

fair play to kerr actually

who the hell is going to play right mid tho?? i dont want nedved running at mcfail!!

Originally posted by ella minnow pea

who the hell is going to play right mid tho?? i dont want nedved running at mcfail!!

From that squad I'd play:

Given

Carr---Cunningham---O'Brien---Finnan

Holland
    Delap
    Kilbane
    Duff

Morrison---Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wouldn't be suprised or angered at Fergie withdrawing O shea for this match.
    Can you imagine just how incredibly ****ed Man United would be if O Shea got injured.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Given

Duff
    Delap
    McPhail
    Reid

Morrison---Keane

This is wat I wud select.....Duff playin on right for Chelsea and Reid is a class little player but just need to get more games at top level......wud give McPhail this chance in the middle of the park....had an ok game last nite for Leeds and scored as well!!

Morrison and Keane r the only strikers we really have!! Connolly is injured ad will prob pull out and I don't think anyone wants to see Lee up front???

Why has Kerr not looked into bringing in Macken?? need another Striker!! WUd also give Kenny a chance for half a game! dont think Colgan has wat it takes at international level and seen Kenny a few times and looks a good keeper!! can only improve with international games
    Oh yeah why the bloody hell is Kinsella back in? he is over da hill!! why not try young Douglas who is having a good time at Blackburn at the moment???? wat u tink??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by neilbrady79

Given

Duff
    Delap
    McPhail
    Reid

Morrison---Keane
    I'd go with that team but I'd have Kilbane in for McPhail. People will say 3 left footed midfielders is too many (edit: actually isn't McPhail left footed anyway?) but I've seen teams with 4 right footed midfielders and no left footers, whats the difference? Kilbane plays in the middle for Everton now I think anyway.

As for Douglas, he has played less than 10 times for Blackburn and looks very average, we can't just cap people for breaking into a bad first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Kerr has left out some players as a courtesy to the club managers. All the Sunderland players have been dropped becasue of the FA cup Semi following weekend. Also O'Shea is out because United have a game against Arsenal.

All this players have many caps for Ireland. Whats the point in dragging them back for a stupid friendly.

Also the signs are there and the door is has been left open for Roy.
    Brian Kerr - I haven't spoken to him and I have lots of thoughts. I prefer not to elaborate any further. I have said what I want to say. I don't have any problem with any of the players who change their minds about wanting to make themselves available to play for us. If they decide to make themselves available, I will decide whether I select them or not."
    :D:D

Keano for Portugal!:p

Just seen about Miller travelling with Celtic.....he is not named in squad but should be called up and throw Kinsella into the bin!! then play

Given

Duff
    Delap
    Miller
    Reid

Morrison---Keane

Half time

Kenny

Finnan
    Dunne
    Doherty
    Harte

Holland
    Carsley
    McPhail
    Kilbane

Morrison---Lee

Also maybe just bring in Douglas to have a look....one for the future! only having a look will hurt no one!!

The 6 substitute FIFA ruling sorta passed you by there, didn't it?

Who listens to FIFA anymore? didnt think that ruling came in till end of season???

I concur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

I dont like the idea of making lots of substitutions, it isn't Canada we're playing.

And anyway Stephen Elliot should be called in before any English players like Macken and Nolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭gudpony

Duff is at his best on the left. why did harte get called up and "McFailure" as well? Dey shud try kilbane at left back

• Advertisement

Gudpony....wat u talkin about??? Kilbane at left back??? he has already played in that position for Ireland and he isnt the best there hence why he has played in midfield all his career! Kilbane has been havin the best season of his life for Everton at the moment but I think Kerr should have a look at the new lads.....thats wat friendly games r about!! we all know wat Kilbane can do as a player

Also "McFailure" as you like to call him is havin a good season at the moment....played well for Notts Forest and only left cause they couldnt afford him(after that they have slipped down table and manager has been sacked) and now has been playing considently well for Leeds....need more games and he will become the class player that he was before injury problems he has had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

I definitely think McPhail should get a start. Give him 90 minutes as well. Ireland are screaming out for a creative midfielder to play in the centre, and at the moment he's our best bet. What's the harm in giving him a good try? Beats playing Kinsella anyway.

I'd also like to see Dunne and O'Brien partnered at the back. Along with O'Shea, they'll make the central defence for the future and should get as much time playing together as possible. Cunningham is by no means a poor defender but he's hardly one for the future now, is he?

Delap also deserves to play at some stage. He's doing well for Southampton and while Holland should start on Premiership form, Delap should at least get 30 mins or so.

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    And anyway Stephen Elliot should be called in before any English players like Macken and Nolan.
    Just to let yo know Elliot scored for the City reserves (again:rolleyes: ) tonight and then twisted his ankle. I agree with you that while Elliot has no first team experience for any major club, he still has more right of a cap than those English players named. Saying that, if Connolly pulls out through injury, i'd like to see John O'Flynn of Cork get called up. He was super for the U21's and is the best striker in the Eircom League ATM.

O'Flynn is by far the best striker in the Eircom Lewague atm, I agree. And while I wouldn't strongly object to him getting a chance at international level, the season has only just started and he's probably too short of match fitness to be called up for this match.

But he still has time on his side and if he continues to perform then why not give him a game or two?

Originally posted by JippoKelly
    O'Flynn is by far the best striker in the Eircom Lewague atm, I agree. And while I wouldn't strongly object to him getting a chance at international level, the season has only just started and he's probably too short of match fitness to be called up for this match.
    A callup doesn't necessarily mean he has to be capped, he could get to know a few of the players and learn a bit from Robbie in training.

You're right, training with the team could be beneficial for the player regardless of whether he plays or not.

I reckon Ireland should play "A" internationals again. It would be ideal to give Eircom league players or young players some international experience.

Or maybe Kerr could just invite say 3 to 5 Eircom League players to train with the team for every Home international. It would serve to test the standard of the league's players and give the palyers an insight into the international scene.

I definitely think McPhail should get a start. Give him 90 minutes as well. Ireland are screaming out for a creative midfielder to play in the centre, and at the moment he's our best bet.

*COUGH*
    Andy Reid?

I reckon Ireland should play "A" internationals again. It would be ideal to give Eircom league players or young players some international experience.
    You mean B internationals.:) Yeah, Kerr is a big fan of those and said in his most recent press conference that he will get one arranged for the summer. There isn't many countries that play B internationals so it will be hard to set one up. Maybe one against Scotland or something would do.
    *COUGH*
    Andy Reid?
    Yep. When they both played for Forest I'm sure most fans would be more dissapointed if Reid was unavailable for a match rather than McPhail.

Sorry yeah I meant B interantionals. Got confused with Rugby's A internationals.

And as for Andy Reid. Sure, he could be Ireland's answer as a creative midfielder. I hope so. I was presuming that after his last few Ireland games he would be a cert to be in the running for the 2006 qualifiers anyway. And what's the harm in having more than one creative midfielder in the squad?

For too long we've only had workman-like midfielders such as Carsley and Healy as backup. McPhail should get a run again to see if he is worthy of inclusion in the qualifiers.

• Advertisement

I agree with Jippokelly!! if the game in Switherland showed Ireland fans anythin it showed us that u go nowhere when u have a workman like midfield and no creative midfielder!!

We have a bright future with Healy in the centre but need someone beside him pulling the string!! e.g Reid or McPhail....we wud be unbeatable....haha

I am afraid Harte is a cert to play against the Czech's.I have 100% respect for Kerr but if he allows Harte to take set pieces I will lose a bit of that respect. His confidence is as low as ever.
    http://www.elevenaside.com/boysingreen/story.asp?newsid=10554

Its a pity the loan move to Portsmouth didnt go thru for Harte at the start of season.....used to be a goodquality defender and great free kicker taker but needs some confidence....gone is the day when he was the second best freekicker taker in the Premiership next to Beckham....some even said better

He USED to be a good defender, at the moment he's muck and I wouldn't give him a start at all :mad:

Not da best at the moment....WC killed his confidence....he was terrible in it....even though was one of the best players in qualifiers......not many other options at left back is there??? Finnan is out now!!

I still rate Delap in the centre. Strachan and Pruttock seem to rate him and they are both very shrewd managers. Before injury he was easily the most consistant Irish midfielder in the premiership available for selection. Given Kilbane's recent form I wouldn't leave him out either.

So midfield you have Delap, Kilbane, A. Reid, Miller, McPhail, Healy, Duff, S. Reid, Carsley, Holland, Kinsella and McAteer.

I'd be happy to see the back of Kinsella and McAteer.

Healy and S. Reid don't warrent selection (S. Reid is just back from injury) so its really down to Kilbane, A. Reid, McPhail, Duff, Holland, Carsley and Miller.

An all premiership midfield, which is nice.

Its hard to pick from those: Eventually, you'd probably like to see

Miller Delap Reid(Mcphail) Duff across midfield.

That said, Arsenal play two holding midfielders (well they seem to play a three man midfield with the faux-wingers alternating in joining attack) and we probably will have the wide players to play that style. Not the holding players though :(

• Advertisement

Alan Maybury and Joe Murphy have been called into the squad to replace Colgan and Finnan. I didn't know Maybury is only 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Harte could be a damn good player, but everythings standing in his way.
    He had a terrible world cup, then his club fell apart at his feet,and refuse to play him. An italian Serie A side came into the picture 3 months ago, and submitted a bid for Harte. Leeds said no.

Oh what a difference that could have made.
    Really,I feel for the poor bloke. Only 2 or 3yrs ago he was banging in every second free kick..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

what about Rory delap with keane up front:P

we still have only 1 decent player in the entire irish squad ! what a joke

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    what about Rory delap with keane up front:P

we still have only 1 decent player in the entire irish squad ! what a joke
    Any club in the world would find a place for Duff and Given. Most would fit Cunningham, Keane and Carr/Finnan. Andy Reid and Liam Miller have the potential to be just as good as any Irish player.

Dunne and Connolly have pulled out.

Does anyone know if Kerr has replacements lined up?

What about Nolan and Macken? Are they eligable yet, both apparently have declared for the Republic, although they come from the O'Morrissáin bracket of Irish-dom.

• Advertisement

Liam Miller gets a callup.
    http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=12559&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes

The match is on Wedensday so that should be the last of the callups.

I just heard on SS news that John Thompson and Stephen Kelly have been called up. Kerr has also said that Doc will start at centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I hope Thompson gets a game it would be nice to see him get a chance at international level. Not too sure about doherty though.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I hope Thompson gets a game it would be nice to see him get a chance at international level. Not too sure about doherty though.

Thompson is having a very poor second half season at forest this year (after being excellent last year). I don't know how i feel about him, I think he needs more experience, he is yet to play a full season of first team professional football.

Originally posted by syke
    Thompson is having a very poor second half season at forest this year (after being excellent last year). I don't know how i feel about him, I think he needs more experience, he is yet to play a full season of first team professional football.

Theres been a lot of turmoil at forest with the chage of manager etc it could give thompson a boost to get a run out in the national squad he cant have tured into a bad player in a couple of months.

BTW nice to see you got your just deserts if only it were genuine. ;)
    Will I still be able to post when I get mine.:D

BTW nice to see you got your just deserts if only it were genuine. ;)
    Will I still be able to post when I get mine.:D

I think we both know which one of us is closer to that particular fate ;)

Originally posted by syke
    I think we both know which one of us is closer to that particular fate ;)

Won't be long now, preperations are near complete.:D

Theres been a lot of turmoil at forest with the chage of manager etc it could give thompson a boost to get a run out in the national squad he cant have tured into a bad player in a couple of months.

I didn't say he was a bad player, I just think that some players are shown up if they don't have a quality partner with them. Thompson may just be experiencing the second season bug that many young players go through, Duffer had it at one stage too. But he's not a form player so I'd really rather he got his chance when in form and was remembere dfor that, rather than being dubbed a new Gary Breen if it all goes awry now.

Well some confirmations by Kerr for teh starting line up.

The back will be:

Carr
    Cunningham
    Doherty
    Harte

Chliontáin and Keane up front.

Given most likely to play the first half.

I'd imagine Holland, Kilbane Reid and Duff in midfield.

I really really hope Delap gets to prove himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Hope the midfield looks something like this cos that will be our best imo

----Holland
    Miller
    A.Reid
    Duff---

• Advertisement
Advertisement