Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motorbike insurance

Options
  • 22-03-2004 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭

first year i payed 1300 next year i payed 1600, whats the deal. i had no crashes or anything. i think their looking for about 1200 this year. im gonna crack up.

I'm thinking bout getting an nsr thats restricted cause its the same insurance group as the bike i have now, if i get that i might take the restricter out and bait around the place on the bike and get me money's worth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

insurance went more barmy than usual last year. Mine went from 860 to about 1200 for no reason whatsoever. Good old Irish insurance companies eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

I found a nice little way of getting my insurance down, buy a vintage bike and get it insured with Carol Nash. I bought a 78 Suzuki 550E and it costs me just EUR300 fully comp and it's my first big bike. And I've just turned 25, that helps alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

eeeeenteresting... I wonder if theres anyway I could pass off a 1999 1300cc bike as a vintage? Hmmmm

*goes off to buy some vintage paint*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Originally posted by rymus

*goes off to buy some vintage paint*

I reacon a hammer and some sea water will "vintage" up a new bike for ya pretty quickly

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Hmm, my insurance with Carole Nash went from 1,060 to 860 this year (just got my renewal), on a BAndit 600.

Though they did quote me 1,500 TPO and 3,000 FC on a new Z1000 which I thought was a bit mad..

suspicions confirmed when AON quoted me 1,200 TPO and 2,000 FC on the same bike.. or in fact any bike I wanted in the top group!

25, full license, 5 years no claims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

i might take the restricter out and bait around the place on the bike and get me money's worth.

You wont be covered by the insurance if you have an accident with the restrictor out, so you wont get your moneys worth. Though its fine until you have an accident! You may as well not bother paying the insurance if you are going to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

yeah i suppose so good thinking. i dunno i might just do the test and get a 250 dont know what to get, low insurance group anyways. cbr250 is cheaper to insure than an nsr125, scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Tis scandalous alright,
    But there is a reason for the NSR125 in particular being so expensive to insure - i.e. its a death trap! So many people have had really bad accidents on them... dont know why exactly, Though I know with a few bits and bobs on them they can hit 110mph, so that might be something to do with it.

Its the power-to-weight ratio thats the real killer. The NSR is very light.

If you can, get a 250. You will tear the boll*x out of an NSR in no time anyway, they are very fine tuned, so you need to know what you are doing to maintain them. Plus because of the huge insurance, they have practically no resale value. Thats why there are so many in the papers.

Some good alternatives that can move are: Honda CBR250 or Hornet250, Suzuki Bandit250 (these are rare). Though you are looking at about 4 grand for any of these in good condition.

Good luck!

Advertisement