Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever sold your house privately?

Options
  • 22-03-2004 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of selling/buying at the moment and I'm trying to sell mine privately as I think estate agents are one of the biggest rip-offs in the land and with the internet I don't think they're all that neccessary (famous last words)
    Basically I want to save the €300 (plus VAT) advertising package and 1.5% (plus VAT) they get on the sale price of the house.
    The auld percentage thing is SUCH an obvious rip off.

We've already had one person drop out, on Friday she wanted to know where to lodge her deposit to. On Monday she decided not to buy. Which was great as we had an offer in on the house we wanted!
    Her reason was
    "I don't do traffic"
    Don't live in Dublin then, dear.
    She was basically a loser who will end up living in a ditch.

So has anyone sold their house privately before? Any pitfalls you fell into that I could avoid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sparticus

I tried to sell privately last year, in midlands. I would agree about estate agents, easy money. The big drawback I found was getting the word out. Estate agents have access to a buying market, for any particular property they will have a list of potential buyers, who from my experience will never consider the private route.If only a few of these put in a bid, then it's a better return for the seller, (and estste agent). Maybe the market in Dublin is different , but to cut a long story short, after about 3 months of trying to sell privately, I went with an estate agent, who got a better price than I was able to get and also got it sold quickly. If you decide to go with an agent, I would suggest doing a deal, from the start. Haggle, afterall its a compeditive buisness. This may be easier with a smaller local agent.If you can find one that hasn't signed up to the bigger partnerships. Eitherway you will still need a solicitor, for paperwork,deeds, financial transactions etc............again easy money.

Advertisement