Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gillette Mach 3 Turbo razors

• 22-03-2004 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

What is the fucking story with these things? Went into a chemist the other day to buy a packet and only really checked the prices of them then (normally I'd stick them on my mums shopping list or get them with a few other things). 10.49 for 4 razors....FOUR razors!!!!!! This was at home so I checked up in Dublin too and they were even more expensive, around 10.60 in boots for 4.
    The bloody things only last one shave now, thanks to whatever the smarmy gits at Gillette did to them, the old Mach 3 razors used to last for at least 2 shaves.
    Anyone know what the story is with these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

uh, they're a rip-off therefore don't buy them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭wiped

Stop using them ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by xx
    What is the fucking story with these things? Went into a chemist the other day to buy a packet and only really checked the prices of them then (normally I'd stick them on my mums shopping list or get them with a few other things). 10.49 for 4 razors....FOUR razors!!!!!! This was at home so I checked up in Dublin too and they were even more expensive, around 10.60 in boots for 4.
    The bloody things only last one shave now, thanks to whatever the smarmy gits at Gillette did to them, the old Mach 3 razors used to last for at least 2 shaves.
    Anyone know what the story is with these?
    2 shaves? You should be getting a lot more than that from your razor.

I've switched to disposables, because for some odd reason, it's cheaper to buy a blade with a handle, rather than a blade without a handle! I'm pretty satisfied with the Wilkinson Sword
    Xtreme 3 (until I vitisted their website just now and found out that they have a partnership with the red menace).

Originally posted by Ripwave
    I'm pretty satisfied with the Wilkinson Sword
    Xtreme 3
    I just checked on the Superquinn website, and they have a 4 pack of these razors for €4.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    uh, they're a rip-off therefore don't buy them?

Sort of have to really. My sin is the wussy-ass sensitive type that messes up under the slightest bad handling. I've gone through 3 different electric razors and wilkinson sword disposables but the mach 3 is the only thing that doesn't turn my face into confetti. I'm in a quandry. Anyone know anywhere in dublin where I can get them cheaper, by the way?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by xx
    Sort of have to really. My sin is the wussy-ass sensitive type that messes up under the slightest bad handling. I've gone through 3 different electric razors and wilkinson sword disposables but the mach 3 is the only thing that doesn't turn my face into confetti. I'm in a quandry. Anyone know anywhere in dublin where I can get them cheaper, by the way?
    This might sound a bit bizarre, but have you considered buying them on the Internet? Amazon have a 4 pack for $6.99.

Amazon.co.uk have the 16 pack for £18.97.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by Ripwave
    This might sound a bit bizarre, but have you considered buying them on the Internet? Amazon have a 4 pack for $6.99.

Amazon.co.uk have the 16 pack for £18.97.

The American Amazon site won't ship them to Ireland. The UK one should tho'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by xx
    Sort of have to really. My s[k]in is the wussy-ass sensitive type that messes up under the slightest bad handling. I've gone through 3 different electric razors and wilkinson sword disposables but the mach 3 is the only thing that doesn't turn my face into confetti. I'm in a quandry. Anyone know anywhere in dublin where I can get them cheaper, by the way?

Ah ... so the problem is that the lubricant in that little blue strip runs out after one shave ... there are a shitload of products that do the same as that blue strip ... I dont use any myself but a friend uses shaving oil and he's delighted with it ... give it a shot and you'll find those razors lasting a lot longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

www.mankindonline.co.uk have an 8 pack of Mach 3 Turbo for £8.50. Not sure how much the postage is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

If i can remember I bought 18 turbo blades (4x4 + 2) for ~e25 in the North somewhere. Great value. Can't remember where it was though... sorry!

ambrose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Saw this deal in boots in the square over the weekend.

I think you can buy 8 turbo blades in boots for about €15 but you also actually get the mach 3 turbo razor itself
    free.

Originally posted by spanner_head
    Saw this deal in boots in the square over the weekend.

I think you can buy 8 turbo blades in boots for about €15 but you also actually get the mach 3 turbo razor itself free.
    Which isn't much of a deal if you've already got the razor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the mach 3 turbo blade lasts me about 8 shaves till the aloe vera strip is worn down.. thats used with gilette clean shave gel (maybe you're using a rougher shaving gel/foam?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I normally get anything up to 2 weeks from a Mach blade (but then I only shave for work...love the weekend freedom...And casual friday feeling..so about 8 shaves then... )

I use a Shaving Oil for it... The Clarins Men oil from Brown Thomas is excellent. A little bit pricy but it lasts for ages. I recently got a gift set from Bloke.ie while I was in hospital. They included a shaving oil I am using now which is very good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Boots have a deal at the moment where you get a 'free' Mach 3 Razor when you buy 8 blades. Around €16, so you get 10 blades(2 come with the razor) and the razor. Still a rediculous price but the best you'll probably get in the shops here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I use those Wilkinson sword extreme disposable blades you can get a pack of 4 for under €5 and I feel that they are as good as the mach III's which I had been using for years until the price just got crazy.

I usually get about a week out of the blades that's shaving 4-5 days a week, and I use the total shaving solution oil which is great for sensitive skin, but seems to getting more expensive each time I buy it, but you don't have to buy it that often, that little bottle lasts a long time as you only use 3 drops for each shave.

Also note that if the supermarket don't have the men's razors that the women's version (can't remember what they call them) are exactly the same, except for colour that's if you are comfortable enough with your masculinity to use a pink razor.

This also brings up the point if you actually take a look at a lot of the razor's out there the men's and lady's versions are exactly the same except for colour, must check next time I am in the supermarket to see if there is any price difference between them.:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I've used both the Mach 3's and the W. Sword. The W. Sword rips the skin off me but the Mach is perfect in comparison. Even the new 4 blade version of W. Sword is horrible to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ALLGOOD

You should get a good electric shaver and only shave once every 4 - 5 days. Its as cheap as fvck and you don't have all the mind-bending hassle of those crappy blades and the 100 different add ons Gillette try to flog !

Trust me, the 4 - 5 day thing rocks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by xx
    I'm similar. And in my new job, I can't be going 4 days a week without shaving, waiting until it becomes itchy before shaving it off again.
    I was using Mach 3's, but even they started to scrape and cut after 2/3 shaves, and would destroy me if I even considered wet shaving more than twice a week (at most).
    So I bought an electric foil razor over the weekend. €100 Remington one in Roches. I'd used a few of those ones with the 3 round cutting yokes before and tehy were all crap, so I went for a straight foil and this one works really well. Gives me a shave as smooth as a wet shave, just takes a little longer. But I can shave 7 days a week if I want (in fact, they recommend it, to get used to the razor).
    It'll probably be about 2 years before I'd have spent the same money on Mach 3 blades, but I'll be smoother and less itchy all that time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm an electric razor user too. I use a decent Remington model and I've had it since April 2001. Compared to paying for blades, just over €100 for 3 years of hassle free shaving is excellent. I'll probably either be upgrading or replacing the foil and cutter soon (€15 - 20). Obviously an electric doesn't suit everyone but they're definitely worth considering.

The funny thing about razor blades it that they're not bluntened by wear and tear but by a build up of crud on the blade. If you could effectively clean this off it would quadrouple each blade's life.

(I have visions of someone reaching for the Dremel. ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,679 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I find the mach 3 turbo only marginally better than the mach 3, not worth the big price difference so I'm back on the latter

I always wait for the 3 for 2 offer in Boots on 12 packs and then get 72 blades. That will do me for a year and probably more than long enough before the next 3 for 2 offer. Did you notice that if you buy a 4 pack, the price per blade is at least 50% higher than if you buy a 12 pack?

Good tip to check online. Will do that next time I'm running out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

I just bought the Gilette womens 2 blade (4 pack) disposable razors.

I have very sensitive skin on my neck, but I find if you shave lightly with these they give a nice close shave.

Only EUR 2.50 for 4.

Good value!

There is no way I'm paying 11 quid for 4 Mach 3 blades...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Anyone know where I can get a cut-throat razor in Dublin?

viking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

shop around before you come bitching tbh, xx... I bought Mach 3 blades in Boots for over €2 less than you did in Random Un-named Chemist.

Oh, and they last for a hell of a lot more than 2 shaves for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I stand corrected. I bought Mach3, not Mach3 Turbo. Still, my comment stands about them lasting for plenty more than just 2 shaves a blade...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mulla

why is everyone so nasty to each other on this whole forum? anyway did you try aldi's carlton 3 blade? its €2.99 has 4/5 blades with it and works a treat on my heavy growth, sensitive skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Picked up some (non-Turbo) Mach 3 blades in "Semi-Chem" in the Quays Shopping Centre in Newry at £6.99 for 8. They were also giving 70p for every Euro so that works out at just under €10 for 8 blades.

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

For people that do not like the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo this is the place to go
    Well I thought it was funnah ;)

OHP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Im lucky in that I only have too shave twice a week and Im 27.

But Mach Three blades I have always managed to get more than 5-6 shaves out of them? have i still got bum fluff? Im 99.99% convinced i dont

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

dont buy razors stay scruffy:D

Advertisement