Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best new shooter?

Options
  • 22-03-2004 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Ok I have just bought the 3 new fps games out here. Unreal Tournement 2004, Battlefield:Vietnam and Breed. Which one do You think is the best and will be the most popular. I have only tried out ut2k4 so far and its excellent but the other 2 look good also.

Which is the best of these 3 new shooters? 26 votes

UT2k4
    0% 0 votes
    BF:Vietnam
    65% 17 votes
    Breed
    34% 9 votes
    They are all crap
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Half-Life forever ... all FPS have been crap since then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Far Cry??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭patch

Far Cry is indeed the best fps since Half-Life...... Half Life is still the king though.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what the modders do with Far Cry however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The best PC fps since half life is no one lives forever 2, the best fps is metroid prime. But out of those 3 I'd vote for ut2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

2 of them have only been out a few days , how can you say which is beter so soon ? They probly need to be updated so the bugs can be ironed out too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

of that list, UT2004 hands down, although haven't tried FarCry which has a lot of good stuff said about it lately, that game should also be added to the poll...

i've read that Battlefield Vietnam = mod for BF1942 that costs the price of a full game, heard many people say that the Desert Combat mod for BF1942 is way better, more fun and more realistic then the new BF:V

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    the best fps is metroid prime
    Isnt metroid prime more of a first person adventure? rockinest game on GC though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ikaruga :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

aww Hexen:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by naitkris
    i've read that Battlefield Vietnam = mod for BF1942 that costs the price of a full game, heard many people say that the Desert Combat mod for BF1942 is way better, more fun and more realistic then the new BF:V

That would be totally inaccurate and incorrect. DICE actually reworked the refractor2 engine for Battlefield: Vietnam. They rewrote the sound engine and have full EAX 1,2,3 support aswell as the option to decide to have 2 channel, 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel sound.
    They also reworked the graphics engine to allow them to have the dense jungle surrounds that there was in Vietnam. They did that beautifully too. So many times have i been shot at from the jungle and not been able to see anything around me ececpt jungle, you can run past a guy 1 meter away and not even know. They also added some new features to the engine so metal looks better and shines better etc. Also lets not forget that Napalm.

There are a ew bugs in the game though, I'll admit that. However give it a patch or two and they will be fixed. It was the same with Battlefield 1942 when it was released but take a look at it now and they have been ironed out and the game is amazing.

And dont judge Battlefield: Vietnam until you have played it online for a couple of hours. The game itself wasent made for Single Player and so isint worth judging on that. Go play it online and then judge the game. Nothing like picking up a boat with a chopper and dropping it on someone's head. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

Far Cry???
    Yes I know but it aint out here yet. I am sure that will be the better than those 3 if what I've heard is true:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Winters
    So many times have i been shot at from the jungle and not been able to see anything around me ececpt jungle, you can run past a guy 1 meter away and not even know.

Like that above, it's the environments which make the games totally different – just like how real wars differ from place to place.

After a while I’ll go back to playing DC and 1942, (and continue playing COD), simply because they're all different games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Where is Far Cry on that poll?

Where is Far Cry on that poll?
    must I repeat myself:rolleyes:
    <points up>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

far cry is crap, the other three are crap, the only good fps since halflife has been mohaa and even that had its faults, lets hope half life 2 saves us from all this mediocracy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Imo far cry is the best ''mainly because of the single player and the havoc physics engine :D '' think BF:V and UT2004 are on par.

Breed?, lol what a crock of crap

CombatCow

Breed?, lol what a crock of crap
    yeh very dissappointing:(
    the only good fps since halflife has been mohaa
    gonna have to disagree with that:)

combat cow you think far cry is the best because of the engine? see this is the problem i have with most games thesedays, developers think that first and foremost the most important thing about a new game is that it has mind blowing graphics, for me when im playing a game its not 'ohh look at the pretty graphics' its a game and the most important thing about it is the gameplay and playability and when your forking out sixty or seventy quid, repeatability of same, this is why i love half life so much, six years on from its release and i still find myself going back to it and playing the game right through, and its still the most absorbing gaming experience ive ever had, now out of all the games ive played since, the only one that even came close to that was mohaa

btw, its the single player aspect of these games im talking about, as far as multiplayer goes cs is still the king

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Well thats where you and I differ,i think gfx are just as important as gameplay.So if there was no advancement in gfx we would be playing really engrossing,complex games but still looked looked packman ? no thx.Anyway i said FarCry singleplayer is fantastic,and the havoc physics make you feel more like you are in a real world,not like BF:V and others where all the objects are stuck in place,and are immovable.Of course i agree that half-life WAS great,but i think you have to let go of the past.;)

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

FarCry.

Failing that, Ut2k4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

ut2k4 from what ive play of it so far :)

then again i havent tried the other 2 yet, heard good reviews about far cry though so will be picking that up on payday

Originally posted by Combatcow
    but i think you have to let go of the past

hehe, i can imagine myself when im 25, sittin in a grandaddy chair smokin a pipe harpin on about how games were actually good in my day:o

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i voted ut2004, seems pretty cool, have to get me a copy, even if it is 5gig+, wots that about ?, waitin for serious sam 3, the first 2 were great fun, doom3 and halflife 2 will never be released,

especially doom3, can't believe windows millenium, windows 2000, windows xp, windows 2003 have all been built during the development cycle of a frickin game, we'll need dx12 compliant cards by the time those suckers are released :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

UT2K4 wins hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Doctor Funfrock

ut. but doom3 WILL be the best.

Advertisement