Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bfv v's far cry

Options
  • 22-03-2004 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Im very upset with bfv. I think the chopper controls are noobish. I only started liking battlefield a few months back because we usually play big maps on lan and i didnt know how to fly, but since i gave a few days at choppers i got madly addicted. In vietnam i feel they have left it open for any1 to fly but i enjoyed having to work to learn how to fly.

On another note "FAR CRY"

in one word OMG (well 3)

absolutely brilliant.
    The intenseness of the action is great, brilliant sound effects its like your in the game, the best part has to be the water. When you swim and look up out of the water the shaking background looks great.Physics engine is cool too, lots of stuff blows up, the best has to be the swinging bridges, you can shoot the ropes and it swings and sways from side to side then you can shoot all the ropes and it drops. The beasts are vicious though they jump straight at you and cut you to pieces. A big thumbs up to the single player. Im sure it will be a great hit with every1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

In vietnam i feel they have left it open for any1 to fly but i enjoyed having to work to learn how to fly

only a newbe would say that tbh .......BF DC had modified plane controls helios where **** they could do notting that the real heilos could (and i was fairly decent at flying them).....BF V changes all that of course they would be easyer with proper heilo controls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

He's talking about BFV when referring to the noobish controls for flying not DC.

And i have to say i think Far Cry will have no problem winning this battle, as i think BFV is poor in all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yes but bizmark is saying that its really dc that has the noobish controls and that gremlin has just got used to them, that they where incorrect in the first place

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

BFV is totally awesome,i too dismissed it after first playing and vowed toget a refund back but i gave it a go Saturday morning on Viet-Navan [Irish server]with great pings and after an hour of its only ok suddenly it clicked with me and now i must say it is stunning.
    Its still a bit unbalanced in the weapons department,ie the US M60 is far too easy and accurate with little recoil for such a weapon.
    Im sure a patch will fix this.
    I must say theres lots more to BFV and indeed any BF game/Mod than just flying choppers,surely you canot condemn a game because you think they dumbded down the controls of on e aircraft?
    This game offers much more than Gremlin suggests ,the choppers are not even a single % of what is on offer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i find that the Heli contorls in DC are far more responsive, on the ground BFV the games is fantasic, but i have to admit in the air DC is much more of a challage, one reason i think they made the contorls easier in BFV is because in many maps (like in the Vietnam war) the troops could only be deployed to the battle via choppers. It would be less enjoyable for people only getting to grips with it and watching their troops pluge to their death because they have crashed their chopper :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by n1ck
    He's talking about BFV when referring to the noobish controls for flying not DC.

Did you read my post ?

DC = crap totaly wrong controls and anyone who thinks there right is wrong
    Vietnam = right controls

i prefare the planes in dc they are much more responsive and manoeourable in my opinion

and they didn't dumb down controls of aircraft either its not like ea released a game with the dc controls and then said oh its too hard to fly we'll change it in the next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 [fi]Gremlin

to me the flight controls in bfv seem like console controls. i mean a noob at the game today i saw him fly a chopper backwards half way across the map. I dont think thats right.

neways "FAR CRY"

whats your thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I dunno where you are going with flying backwards and noobs. Just what benefit is an idiot flying backwards (with weapons pointed in the air) to a team anyway. It sound more like you fear others could join the ranks of pilot..

Farcry, though not out, holds promise. From the demo however, I got the feeling the shooting and weapons handling was a little Unreal II'ish, no real feeling of firing them, not enough sense of bullet impact on the soldiers (unless you shoot dead bodies to see the physics). Id like to see wounds and blood spray, firearms are not toys, bodies hit by bullets shouldnt look like packaged plastic dolls. Even with its comparitively limited engine, Op:Flashpoint loaded up very bloody textures where bullets impacted. That, combined with positional damage on soldiers, gave a good feeling of firing a gun.

Still, curiously optimistic about Farcry.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

id prefer battlefield didnt like the farcry demo as much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

battlefield over vietnam

no diggity no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

You guys are crazy - wait till you play the full version of far cry. (i'm about half way through). There's no comparison. BFV is a decent game (multiplayer only). Far Cry just raises the bar for single player FPS though. It runs better than the demo, there's a lot more to it as well. There is definetly a feeling of reality with the weapons - the physics help with this - when you shoot someone in the head for example their body will react accordingly. Wait till you play it guys - you WILL be blown away.

yeah but at the end of the day they are appealing to somewhat different markets imo. i bought bf to play it online it is mainly a multiplayer game, it has longevity. if farcry is mainly a single player game, it may look real nice, have a great physics engine and what not, but i think people are comparing apples and oranges due to some aspects of the game.

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

played final version of far cry. I have a p2.4 512 ram, 9800pro, and it autodetected my computer for medium settings! If you want to play this on high at a good frameratem you'll need a savage pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by [fi]Gremlin
    i mean a noob at the game today i saw him fly a chopper backwards half way across the map. I dont think thats right.?
    Just to tell you, you seem to be judging the game from playing with idiots. Here is a tip to make the game enjoyable and to see how it really is. Dont join EAUK servers. EAUK servers are filled with eejits and people who couldnt care much about having a good game. Join a proper server, such as VietNavan [see Battlefield board] and have yourself a proper online game. There is nothing like seeing huey's and chinooks with soilders hanging off the side going into battle with Cobra attack choppers on each side and a Phantom jet Napalm'ing out and NVA at the LZ [Landing Zone for those who dont know ...]

As regards the controls. You dont obviously understand how a helicopter and plane works. The DC team have had to explain this out soo many times when telling people why bots cannot fly helicopters. The origional Battlefield 1942, which DesertCombat runs on, does not have any support for Helicopters. The closeist thing it does have is planes. A plane works on the following basis, more power = goes forward faster. Left/Right will barroll roll the plane, forward/back will tilt the plane up and down and rudder will turn it left and right.
    Now, a helicopter is a lot more advanced. More power means it will go higher [not forward]. Left and Right will angle the chopper left and right moving it or gliding it across. Forward/back will tilt the chopper forwards and backwards and move it inthat direction, rudder will turn the chopper left and right.

Now, why the hell did I spend all my time typing that out? So you can see how the controls of helicopters and palnes differ. Now, take what DesertCmbat did. The heicopters are actual planes, thats why they could go up so fast and if you turned them/leaned left they would actually roll over inted of gliding along. As you can expect EA/Dice wanted to have more realstic controls, you cannot release a game where one of the main features in it doesnt work correctly. If you try the helicopters in Battlefield Vietnam you will actually see how realistic they are. Not only can you hover [its impossible to do this in a plane [execpt Harrer] and thats why it was so hard in DC] but when hovering, if someone fires a missile at you, you can tilt the chopper and move it out of the way. Just like in REAL life, try that in DC and its too sluggish to move.

If you are complaining about the controls not being seneitive enough, just go into the Controls Options and increase up the sensitivity. Also I reccomend getting your hands on a joystick. Choppers handle like a dream then. So to sum up once again, only idiots who cannot fully understand how planes and helicopters work and differ complain about helicopter controls. DC was wrong and just did as best they could. Thats why mods are moving to Battlefield Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Originally posted by L5
    played final version of far cry. I have a p2.4 512 ram, 9800pro, and it autodetected my computer for medium settings! If you want to play this on high at a good frameratem you'll need a savage pc.

that's true - i have a 2800+, 1gig ram, 9700pro and run it at highest settings at 1152x864.
    But to be honest at 1024x768 on medium details - it looks nearly as good and certainly better than anything else out there.

Advertisement