Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horror Games

Options
  • 22-03-2004 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

I must say, they are the only ones that really hold my interest to any degree but there are so damn few of them.
    I'm played Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3 (PC) and I was a bit dissappointed at 3.
    I've Silent Hill 2 and Project 0 (Fatal Frame) for Xbox, Silent Hill is good but OMG Fatal Frame is one of the best of the horror genre, its game style is really original and the gore is swapped for atmosphere which makes it much more effective in building tension.

Anyway, anyone any other recommendations?

I would have bought a GC for RE zero but Re 3 put me off.
    I'll be buying a top of the range laptop soon (april) so I should be able to run anything gameswise, although I'm not very good at PC gaming (I grew up on a NES and Master system).

Does the PS2 have many worth getting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

3 good horror games for the pc:

Clive Barkers Undying (Available Cheap) - Good atmospheric story and interesting combination of weapons and magic use.

Alien vs. Predator 2 - (Available Cheap) - Playing the marine is pretty scary.

System Shock 2 - oldie that is very hard to get but is probably the scariest game ever to grace the screen of a PC. Your best bet to get it is to talk to an enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Forbidden Siren for PS2 is looking pretty nice. It's supposed to be coming out over here this month.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/siren/preview_6074310.html

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/december03/sirenps2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    Clive Barkers Undying (Available Cheap) - Good atmospheric story and interesting combination of weapons and magic use.

Yes! Absolutely brilliant, and utterly terrifying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

i didnt like system shock 2 at all
    but aliens vs predator sure would send the ****s up ya as the marine
    ya feel so helpless and intimidated when playing it thats why
    cause the aliens are a bastard of an enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I found Resident Evil 0 a bit disapponting however the remake of the original Resident Evil is superb, I very much reccomend it. Code Veronica is pretty good too available on PS2 and GC.

If you have a PS2 then you should get Silent Hill 3, I thought it was the best of the trilogy and well worth getting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Get a gamecube now, because whats shaping up as the best horror game ever is coming to it in november. Resident evil 4.
    Heres some screens for it

here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah I have to agree with L5 on that point. Resident Evil 4 is going to wipe the floor with everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

hated all the resident evils really
    they were too slow boring and depressing

give me final doom anyday
    gets my vote

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Super Metroid. The atmosphere is great, you feel very alone. Theres also one boss that will scare the **** out of anyone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

System Shock 2 is the scariest game ever. the first time you see a ghost, or hear Shodan or Xerxes talking is really freaky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Yes! Absolutely brilliant, and utterly terrifying!
    hrm, might pick that up tomorrow...
    (smyths €5 off vouchers + budget pc games = supercheapo gaming thrills:p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Super Metroid. The atmosphere is great, you feel very alone. Theres also one boss that will scare the **** out of anyone.
    think its high time for my annual replay of that game.
    and yes, that boss battle is a truely pant browning moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Eternal Darkness on the Game Cube was damned fun.

And Metroid Prime's first level has this amazing "Alien" feel to it...

But seriously, scariest game ever... Ikaruga. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i picked up forbidden siren today. seems fairly good, rivers of blood, evil cult types etc. lots of japanese ring style camera work. but wtf is up with the english accents? everything in the game is written in kana and kanji, the place and character names are all japanese so why in gods name does everyone have to talk like english public school toffs?

it ruins the atmosphere completely when your bursting out laughing every time the main protagonist opens his stiff upper lipped mouth. bad dubs are not usually a problem(zoe2 was woeful but in a cheesy zero wing kind of way it was fun) but when the lines are delivered with such po-faced seriousness and the accents bear no relatonship to the surrounding environment i want to cry. its the gaming equivalent of watching lock, stock, and two smoking barrels with a french dub in order to get that real cockney feel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

think its high time for my annual replay of that game.

Playing it at the moment :D Was up til 1.30 last night. It's the most compelling game I've ever played. I'll have to leave a space for it in my top 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

System Shock 2 ...
    Look at you hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine?
    It doesnt get much better

Aliens V Predator 1
    As a marine...you **** yer knickers for the first few levels fighting off alien hordes...then you see a predator and pull out your rocket launcher and hit him straight in the face...only to see him jump back up again....

Facehuggers will scare the bejesus out of you

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Played Forbidden Siren the other day. I only played for a few hours though.

The dubbing does actually ruin it quite a bit. As said in this thread the dubbing isn’t usually an issue but it really affects the atmosphere.

My initial thoughts were that this is what Ring would be like as a game. For whatever reason I was fairly board with it after a while.

The “sightjacking” is a novel idea but in practice it makes for slow and unflowing gameplay.

Innovative? Atmospheric? Scary? Yeah. Fun to Play? Not really.

Admittedly I only played it for a short while and I didn’t get a chance to see how the stories combined into an overall narrative but I would suggest renting it before parting with your money.

I should also say I’ve lost interest in “Survival Horror” in general. Last one I really got into was RE: Code Veronica on the Dreamcast.

So maybe my horror game opinions are outdated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

To me, the Silent Hill games are the pinnacle of all things horror. They're just so friggin' scary, even (or especially ) when there isn't a monster in sight. All it needs is a bathtub and a mirror, and you've got yourself weeks of insomnia right there...I think part of its scariness is how layered it is. Every cryptic comment means something to somebody...or something else to everybody. Can't wait for the movie.

Clive Barkers Undying is the best horror game available on any console. The only problem is the fact that there has yet to be a follow up and the game leaves it very open for one.

Forbidden Siren is a decent game but the dubbing turns what should be a frightning experiance into a comical one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Alien vs. Predator was scarry enough ok, as was alone in the dark.

But i have to say no game scared the **** out of me like thief and thief 2. Fantastic games, excelent story, excelent gameplay, and damn scarry. Not quite a horror game but beat any horror game ive ever played for teh shivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

yes a great game........ also remember one from some time ago called "Realms of the Haunting" which scared the bejesus out of me at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

As yer man said, Realms of the Haunting. It's pretty old though so good luck finding it. A 3D adventure that had you wandering around an empty mansion in the middle of a dark, stormy night.

Alone in the Dark is ancient too but it made great use of sound and drew on HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu works for maximum pants wettage.

Honorable mentions go to the first time you see a cyberdemon in Doom 2, and the first time you see a fiend in Quake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Some of the best horror games I've played . . .

Resident Evil: The series that got me hooked on horror games, classic. Res Evil 2 was the best in the series, everyone jumped the first time Tyrant smashed through a wall to attack the player.
    Silent Hill: More atmospheric and deep than Res Evil, some fiendishly tricky puzzles. Again, fantastic game. The third games in the series was a bit of a disapointment for me.
    Parasite Eve: I don't think this series got a PAL release, while not the gorefest that Res Evil was or as dark as Silent Hill it's a fantastic game.
    Clock Tower: Little known series of which you can pick up the emulated Japanese SNES game complete English translation for nothing. I never got to play the second game but the third one on the PS2 rocked my world.

There's a few more that deserve a mention, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for PS1, Alone in the Dark series, Fade to Black, Sanitarium on the PC, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Undying gets my vote too - great game.

BM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

System Shock 2 is what happens when you fall asleep playing Deus Ex and wake up on board the f**king Event Horizon. Holy crap can this game do atmosphere! Thanks to Snaga, this is the best (Nothing) I ever spent on a game! Its not quite Silent Hill in Space (It hasn't yet grabbed me by my brain and squeezed just yet) but the atmosphere (in particular the astonishing use of sound) is really something special. I get why this has such a dedicated following...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

luigi's mansion, each ghost nearly made me **** myself

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Originally posted by Darko
    Clive Barkers Undying is the best horror game available on any console. The only problem is the fact that there has yet to be a follow up and the game leaves it very open for one.

Forbidden Siren is a decent game but the dubbing turns what should be a frightning experiance into a comical one.

Don't get your hopes up for a sequel. Undying was another of those critical successes but commercial failures. Electronic arts have pretty much canned any further developments of the game.

Don't get your hopes up for a sequel. Undying was another of those critical successes but commercial failures. Electronic arts have pretty much canned any further developments of the game.

Yeah i know. Its number 24 or something in the list of lowest selling PC games ever. I remember posting the list a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

I love House of the Dead 2 on PC. It's better if you have a lightgun I got one from ZTNet the other day. It's a good conversion of the arcade-game but make sure you play it on hardest difficulty setting and limit your continues to 5 to get good value out of it. Actually even without the lightgun its ok. Return to Castle Wolfenstein, while not a strictly-speaking horror-game, has some genuinely scary bits where your in a crypt and floors collapse and then zombies burst through walls etc. I haven't played any other horror-related PC games. Actually I don't think there are THAT many available for PC at the moment (most come out for the consoles instead) but Doom 3 looks promising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

BloodRayne for the PC is a horror type game in 3rd person view... cool enough but not my type of game though as i prefer first person shooter types...

saw that it is available for a very low price of £4.99 delivered from play.com, think this is because a sequel is coming out sometime, don't know when though

Advertisement