Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband availability in Waterville Apartments, Blanchardstown

• 23-03-2004 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Howday,

I'm looking at buying an apartment in 'Waterville Apartments' near Blanchardstown.

Just wondering if anybody who lives there has got ADSL or anybody knows if it's available in the area?

Many thanks,
    Damo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

You're near the exchange anyway...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Dont buy or rent unless the BB is installed and working and demonstrated to you !
    Make it a contract precondition.

Eircom will never confirm in writing that the flat has passed the line test so you must protect yourself at all times. Lots of Apartment blocks in Dublin, built in the past 10-15 years, cannot sustain BB connections because of shoddy wiring internally .

Here is a Sad Tale about somebody who ASSUMED he could get BB in Blanchardstown.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Work up the road just from Waterville and have a few friends livin in the apartments....unfortuneatly none of them have BB installed at the moment......but they seem to think there might be a few people who have it installed in there because most people living there are workin in the IT Campus here......maybe just knock on a few doors and ask....wouldnt think they will mind....also a chance to introduce urself!! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

Thanks everybody for your replies. The apartment isn't finished being built yet - so surely they will manage to do the wiring up to a fairly ok standard (mind you I wouldn't bet on it - the way builders throw up apartments these days).

I have broadband currently where I live on the Navan road and I'm at least 2km from the Cabra exchange - so I'm fairly confident I would be ok.

Isn't it strange that I would nowdays be more concerned about getting broadband then I would be about the availability of NTL or Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Originally posted by dglancy
    Howday,

I'm looking at buying an apartment in 'Waterville Apartments' near Blanchardstown.

Just wondering if anybody who lives there has got ADSL or anybody knows if it's available in the area?

Many thanks,
    Damo

you should also have the option of IBB Wireless service from Ballycoolin mast just up to top of the road...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Muck
    Here is a Sad Tale about somebody who ASSUMED he could get BB in Blanchardstown.
    Given that I live less than 10mm from Dublin city centre I was surprised that they could not facilitate my application.

lol, that close eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

where exactly is the centre of the city? I want to go there and see if i can hook him up with some broadband... all i need is 10mm of cat5 and a satellite...

Back on topic: Definately make sure you get the place checked out beforehand, the phone network is in such bad shape even brand new housing estates can fail broadband tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

i live in blanch and im just around the corner from the waterville apts. so u shouldnt be out of the exchange parameters.
    The only thing about getting IBB is that they have to mount a satellite on the front of the apartments and most landlords dont allow it because it "interferes with the look of the building".

100th post tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dglancy

Thanks folks for all the replies.

I didn't realise that IBB were in the area. The thing is ... wait for it ... agghhh ... it hurts to say it .... i'm really happy with eircom DSL ... aagghhhh....

It's never been out for me (except when my dsl modem and airport extreme got fried by lightening). It's always seems to be at advertised speeds, and even though the cap really annoys me, my usage patterns are actually around 2-3.5Gb/month.

Did they just build a good network design or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

when you limit people to 4 gigs a month, of course they will (nearly) always reach max download speeds when they download something, as people will only download what they need, for fear of breaking the cap.

When you're on unlimited, you download stuff to see if you'll like it, and so you use MUCH more bandwidth. Also, you can download 60 gigs of radiohead stuff, and upload 70 gigs without fear of getting charged extra or getting cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I have a property there with Eircom Broadband.
    Getting your phone line is the problem... the developers delayed mine...blamed Eircom etc. but I have a few contacts in Eircom who checked it out and seemed the developers hadn't finished wiring (each unit is prewired...but the junction boxes are outside.
    Best of luck with your purchase... dont move in untill you 100% happy. I have neighbours who learnt the hard way..they will not call back to fix stuff, so do a good snag list and hammer them on everything.

No dishes allowed I'm afraid, and they'll hit you with legal action if u stick one up.

While we're on the subject, check out the already built sites at night (Blasket Sq etc....) lots of parking issues

On the good side, once you have a phone line, Eircom sorted it within days.

Advertisement