Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is frightening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

while some of his claims seem a little out there and over the top, it is fun to watch the Bush administration going ape sh*t over this :D

He must have hit a nerve somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Wicknight
    while some of his claims seem a little out there and over the top

Well he was a senior intelligence officer for 30 years, if he wouldn't know who would?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

Originally posted by pork99
    Well he was a senior intelligence officer for 30 years, if he wouldn't know who would?

Well he is trying to sell his book afterall.

Watch out to see if he mysteriously dissappears one day ....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Condoleezza Rice was "flabbergasted"

White House denies incompetence claims
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1175494,00.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

while some of his claims seem a little out there and over the top

What ones, and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by monument
    What ones, and why?

I remember reading (not sure where, think it was CNN) that he claims Rice didn't know who Al Queda was before 9-11. I find that a little hard to believe. But then again ...

On the other hand, the idea that Bush wanted to go after Iraq before[/i] 9-11, and then tried to use the event as a spring board into the war hardly comes as a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Reminds me of the "Spycatcher" debacle in the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

You would want to be living on Mars not to realise that Bush was ALWAYS going to attack Iraq when he got into the white house. He was finishing off the cock up his father made of the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

All this squares with what is already known.
    There is the intelligence report where planes being used were fererenced that Condi had access to.
    There is the leaked Rumsfeld notes where everything that could possibly connect Saddam to 9-11 should be found.
    This has been out in the media in one form or another for a couple of years now.
    It's telling that it's treated as shocking news now.
    BTW that CBS (you know the bastion of liberalism in America) article barely holds back saying "he's full of ****".
    When Bush or Rumsfeld make a statement it's treated as the truth most of the time. Someone counters that and "well they've got a book to sell and oh yeah he got ****canned by Bush so he's mad".
    It they were fair it would be "well Bush says that Saddam was a bad bad man, but then why did all his daddy's friends give him all that money and all those weapons to make it easier for him to be a bad bad man".
    Or maybe even "Bush says that Europe is killing Africans by not buying more GM food, but then Monsanto gave him alot of money to say that."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Unfortunately the Americans never seem to have figured out that they shouldn't go to war whent he Republicans are in the White House. Invariably it doesn't work out well.

I remember reading (not sure where, think it was CNN) that he claims Rice didn't know who Al Queda was before 9-11. I find that a little hard to believe. But then again ...

But this is the same brillant woman who said "who knew that they would fly planes into buildings".
    Then was asked about (IIRC) the National Intelligence Estimate that stated that exact possibility.
    Here reponse "I didn't read that far".

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Unfortunately the Americans never seem to have figured out that they shouldn't go to war whent he Republicans are in the White House. Invariably it doesn't work out well.

The Democrats aren't to much better at it either. Kennedy and Johnson, Carter, and Clinton?

Maybe America should just stop going to war altogether ... they are not very good at it ... just and idea :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Maybe America should just stop going to war altogether ... they are not very good at it ... just and idea :dunno:

But it's such good fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Sadly, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

I have to admit, I'm glad to see Saddam gone, but the way the US did it, and with this extra info, is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by sovtek
    Someone counters that and "well they've got a book to sell and oh yeah he got ****canned by Bush so he's mad".

What I can't figure out is how they manage to start such serious muck-raking over the people in question once the books come out.

Mr. O'Neill, for example, was attacked every which way from Sunday, including (if memory serves) allegations about his mental stability, etc. etc. etc.

What I can't figure out is if these people are such obviously dodgy flakes, what the hell did Bush appoint them for in the first place?????

Thats what I can't figure out....one day the guy is the best the nation has to offer...the next he's unreliable, makes stuff up, can't be trusted, etc. etc. etc. and so much as questioning that line of attack from the Administration and it attack-dogs is construed as making you some sort of ridiculous conspiracist.......

At the very least, the Administration should be answering how they managed to screw up and appoint such outstandingly dodgy people, and perhaps do a review to find out if there's any more of them.....but I would imagine that will never happen, because that wouldn't leave any flexibility to disown whoever might break ranks next...

Oh, the fun and games....

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

"Rumsfeld was saying that we needed to bomb Iraq," Clarke said to Stahl. "And we all said ... no, no. Al-Qaeda is in Afghanistan. We need to bomb Afghanistan. And Rumsfeld said there aren't any good targets in Afghanistan. And there are lots of good targets in Iraq. I said, 'Well, there are lots of good targets in lots of places, but Iraq had nothing to do with it.

"Initially, I thought when he said, 'There aren't enough targets in-- in Afghanistan,' I thought he was joking.
    I'm sure there's very little new here that wasn't known or suspected by most people, but up until now there's been very few insiders willing to go on record on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Originally posted by bonkey
    What I can't figure out is if these people are such obviously dodgy flakes, what the hell did Bush appoint them for in the first place?????

That's a good point there. It's quite amusing. Can you imagine if the press really tried to scrape up the crap on Dubya? That would be real entertainment. The guy has been involved in so much crap that he could have his own soap opera, oh wait, he does!

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement