Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old 'pig'

Options
  • 23-03-2004 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

The m-60, or pig as it was known in the day is pretty broken. Whatever about having an anti armour class with a semi decent weapon, giving them something as powerful as that is just wrong.

In reality, it has a slower rate of fire, is *much* louder, is less accurate, is prone to overheating (and as such needed the barrel changed every box or so) and has enourmous recoil. Opflash, Ghost Recon and Raven Shield all do a pretty good job of capturing it.

Surely they can chose any of the above to make it slightly less deadly? They might as well have given him a jesse ventura style minigun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

agree completely...have you noticed how the cross hairs on the type56 expand as you run and compare to the m60..its a big downer and is usually instant death if you come within a hundred meters of anyone having one. And on some maps its not good enough giving the m60 a LAW but he also gets a freekin med pack???

on a side note..my game crashed to desktop for the second night running ..anyone else have this prob?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

the more i think about it the more i think the m60 is fine ......NVA should stop picking the ak-47 and pick the weapion under it its pritty much the m60 ....lads remember how awful it was to play as the anti armour guy in DC/42 ? giveing him a good gun in Vietnam makes the class much much more enjoyable (+ its a game doesnt need to be historicly perfect :D )

What the Allies really need is a anti air weapion......one heli can wipe out the allies

[edit] OH and i think hes a heavy assult class not anti armour

Originally posted by bizmark
    the more i think about it the more i think the m60 is fine ......NVA should stop picking the ak-47 and pick the weapion under it its pritty much the m60 ...

the RPD is a good weapon I agree..but its not avaliable on all maps and I kinda like the AK tho ..on some maps the nva only get tha type56 which isn't that good at all..same weapon as the ruskies had in bf42 with the pizza on top :D

What the Allies really need is a anti air weapion......one heli can wipe out the allies

I don't know..every level with the hinds there seems to be those pesky cobras and phantoms??with the damnable heatseekers :D which have the bane of my life for the last few days!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

class shmlass :)

Why don't the NVA anti armour guys get a decent lead spitter then, instead of a battle rifle?

I agree regarding the anti armour guys in 42, but the solution is to give them a submachinegun, like an uzi, m3 or even a thompson.

:D i love killing you in a helio

Anyway in a lot of maps there is no cobra or aircraft and if the allies lose the airfeild their ****ed no way at all of takeing down a helio unless you use around 5 guys with m60s :dunno:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bizmark
    :D i love killing you in a helio

LOL :D

If it wasn't for yourself(in your friggin huey:D), Cully in that dammed ZSU thingy and trees I'd be a happy fella :D

Why don't the NVA anti armour guys get a decent lead spitter then, instead of a battle rifle?

because they didnt have any decent weapions :D ........i dont know it might be fixed in a patch i guess i hope they keep the m60 i like the way it looks and plays

Originally posted by Instant Karma
    LOL :D

If it wasn't for yourself(in your friggin huey:D), Cully in that dammed ZSU thingy and trees I'd be a happy fella :D

aye hes good in that zsu the fecker took me down 4 times once :ninja: and trees the bane of all huey's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I agree with Ssh, I got raped quite a few times from quite a distance last night by Ssh himself ( I think ) while I was still fumbling with my supposedly "accurate" rifle. The M60 and L.A.W should not be in the same class just like in DC Infact I was as happy with my SMAW or RPG as I was with a M203 or PK atleast you one had to take one shot for a kill :). I know the NVA are the only side with AA weapons but compare that character with the equivalent US class M60 and a L.A.W versus the SA-7 (Homing missile) and a pistol.

Personally I feel its a great game and I'm looking forward to some hardcore lannage, but it still feels slightly unbalanced.

Oh and that anyone else agree that BF:V has the most farcical recommended specs in a game ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Why dont they just give the LAW guys an m14? surely it would make more sense? as m60's are neither light nor portable, and neither are 4 L.A.W's over your shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah the law guy shouldn't have the m60 but i don't think the problem lies with what class has the m60 but with the gun in general as ssh says, its too powerful imo and my head gets wrecked when i get raped with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Why dont they just give the LAW guys an m14? surely it would make more sense? as m60's are neither light nor portable, and neither are 4 L.A.W's over your shoulder.

Realistically speaking, I don't think an m-14 is much lighter than an m-60, but that's neither here nore there.

The problem with BF was that a rocket guy could take out tanks, and maybe a lone infantry man if he had surprise on his side. He was useless otherwise. They were right to try and fix this. They just failed :-)

I think the thing that gets me the most is how quiet it is. Maybe I have to fiddle with the occlusion settings.

Another thing that gets me, while I'm on a roll, is the number of rockets a chopper can soak up. It's reasonable that the heat seakers take 2 or 3 hits to destroy a chopper, but unreasonable that a shell from a sheridan or even a LAW wouldn't leave a chopper severely damaged. They just seem to bounce off.

I can't wait until they fix some of these bugs, it's so feckin cool otherwise.

yea - heatseekers are lethal and just right I think.

one other annoying bug i found tonight was I was switching through my weapon cycle using the mouse wheel and a yank came right infront of me and I tried to fire but couldn't....so when I respawned I tested this and you cannot use any weapon that I know of if you are clycling thru....and sometimes this takes a few secs!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Where are the punji traps?

one of the vietnamese enginneers has it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I love the Vietnamese traps. Esp the big logs that roll down the hill. Although I've only managed to kill myself with them so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Heh yeh i love those things. I managed to squish a tank with them yesterday, very satisfying!
    And I finally decided to learn how to fly choppers last night, after a frustrating hour of single player I eventually got the hang of it... those Hueys rock!

nva traps are fun but only on servers with ff off. I tried them out on navan a few times but ended up gettin kicked twice when my teammates ran over my punji sticks then over my bouncing betty's :ninja:

hueys do rock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Esp the big logs that roll down the hill.

Very funny sight the first time you see those rolling down a hill. Very odd.

I love the M14, my fave weapon so far. It and an RPG and you're set.

i haven't seen any of these log traps, what are they in and how do they work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

There two of them on (can't remember the map name) the map supposdily based on the chopper attack scene from Apocolypse Now!. Basicly theres these logs with spikes on them pilled up on the top of a hill. They are held up by a wooden frame, with a wedge keeping them in place. Shoot the wedge a couple of times and it breaks and they roll down the hill.....

"Operation Irving" I think. You can see one half way up the hill on the right here. There's a few on other maps, usually in plain sight at the top of a hill.

-satchmo

Originally posted by Jazz

-satchmo

aha so you are the guy that was raping with the m60 one night

what time is everyone jumping on tonight?

7 for meh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I must say the M60 is FAR too easy.
    I dont use it at all now because thers simply no challenge with it.
    At any range the thing is too easy.
    On an EA server last Friday [release day]i had over 100 kills with the fecking thing in about 30 mins.
    Ofcourse i was accused of hacking but it was just the pure ridiculous M60 that was to blame ,fun for that 30 mins but that was it.
    Personally i love the challenging weapons like the NVA type-56 rifle etc .
    I pray to God they sort the M60 out in a patch .

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    aha so you are the guy that was raping with the m60 one night
    heheh yeah that was me alright... but I definitely agree, it's far too easy to kill people with, hope it gets patched soon. I prefer the M16 now - its pretty accurate, does fair damage and quick to reload (the M16-with-scope isnt great though, since the accuracy doesnt improve when zoomed, and theres no automatic fire when unzoomed).

Like Cully I don't use the M60 any more because its no fun... mind you I love the M79 it comes with, its great fun to lob off a grenade and watch its slow arc before it clears out a bunker, or one of those troop transports with the windows you can shoot into! (or even better, drop a grenade in one of those and watch em fry!)

(or even better, drop a grenade in one of those and watch em fry!)

yeah, that has happened to me, some guy though it would be a laugh to lob a nade in my side door :ninja:

Advertisement