Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nose piercing

• 23-03-2004 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

i got my nose pierced just over a week ago, and although i've been cleaning it really regularly its now infected. so im just wondering how easy is it to get rid of an infection in a nose piercing? and whats the best way to do so?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Did you get it pierced with a gun or with a needle. The guns tend to rip through the skin, and generally shouldn't be used for cartilage. I'd recommend if it is just the stud, that you go to a respectable piercer, Celestial Ring, Bodyshock or Metal Morpheus and ask really nicely for them to put in a new piece of jewellery, these places also sell topical antiseptic's suitable for piercings. Saline solution (salt and warm water) also works wonders for your wound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 maria

i got it done with a needle in bodyshock. i've been using salty water to soak it and have been using the aftercare solution they gave me bout 3 times a day.
    what are the chances i can actually get the infection to completely clear up? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Are you sure it's infected, and not just red and sore? Mine took about a week to be even able to touch within an intense pain. I just grinned and bared it, it's a tough one alright, in fact my MOST painful piercing experience. I suppose you just have to go with it though. My piercings take about a week or so to heal. Take zinc, and iron, and try not to touch the ring at all until your cleaning it. And another thing is even make sure no nostril hair is caught. As sick as it is, mucus, metal and hair make for a very painful experience.

yup. i thought it was just sore until this morning and it was quite gunky. the worst happened today aswell when i was cleaning it and it fell out. i cleaned it as best i could and it took ages to get back in, but im thinking ill see how it is tomorrow , but it'll probably have to come out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

were you using sea salt? and gunk is fine as its usually dead skin mixing in the piercing... it happens all the time.. if your sure its infected though just go back to them... otherwise give it a hot sea salt water poltice.... (leaving the solution on tissue on it for 20 mins or so) do that a couple of times a day for a few days...that usually works for drawing out infection...
    good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

this might sound stupid but... what is the difference between using sea salt as opposed to table salt?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Just be patient with it. Mine took about 4 / 5 weeks to clear up when I got it done (with a gun -ow!). Make sure you clean it regularly and it will be fine.
    What I used to do was put a small plaster over it when I went to sleep (making sure the sticky stuff didn't touch it, obviously). Probably wasn't the best thing to do but it certainly saved me from knocking it out while I was asleep, which is the most likely time you will do it accidentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

if ur that worried about it just call up bodyshock and ask them about it. u prolly know how nice they are already. i think they also give u a mobile number of one of the lads on the aftercare sheet thing. as far as i can remember, its been a while.

yeah i phoned already and they said just to leave it in but im still worried! i feel like it shouldn't still be so red and sore... dont think it was last time i had it done! i might go in tomorrow and have them to look at it, im just worried about looking like an idiot!
    and this might be jumping the gun but, if i do take it out, how long will i have to wait to get it done again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

Sea salt is less abrasive and less harsh than table salt,and it contains iodine which is a natural disenfectant. its far more suited for cleaning piercings and wounds etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

if your really worried just go back to the place and let them check it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭screamager

if it is infected taking it out is a bad idea as it traps it. if you lieave it in it'll drain out. the chances are you'll be grand in a week or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by maria
    i got it done with a needle in bodyshock. i've been using salty water to soak it and have been using the aftercare solution they gave me bout 3 times a day.
    what are the chances i can actually get the infection to completely clear up? :confused:

I think it's pissing your off because you're being a bit over zealous with cleaning. I always use aftercare solution twice a day for a week or two after getting a piercing and then switch to salt water (a pinch in a shot glass sized amount of water) and clean it once when I get up and once before bed...if you're doing both you're irritating the piercing and keeping it wet which impedes healing.

well i went back to bodyshock a few days ago and they said it seemed ok, they also said i might be cleaning it too much and irritating it, so im just cleaning it twice a day. its gone bit oozy though, is this something normal that will go away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

yep.... as said above....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

i know this is slightly off topic, but just wondering how long you should wait after getting your nose pierced before you can change the stud? i was thinking 6 weeks? is that about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Mewzel
    i know this is slightly off topic, but just wondering how long you should wait after getting your nose pierced before you can change the stud? i was thinking 6 weeks? is that about right?

Two months is the bare minimum for any piercing really, just be careful what material the new stud is made from, avoid gold/silver until it's fully healed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

I'm considering getting a ring in my left nostril. Where is the best place (as in shop not nose) to get a nose piercing? And roughly the price? Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 PlayMusiC.SCT

got my right nostril done today .. but havent cleaned it yet , i have no seasalt can i use normal salt

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

no no no no i made that mistake....dont use normal salt...ur skin will actually feel burnt for days...especially on ur face..table salt is bleached and stuff....not a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 PlayMusiC.SCT

pippington wrote: »
    no no no no i made that mistake....dont use normal salt...ur skin will actually feel burnt for days...especially on ur face..table salt is bleached and stuff....not a good idea

cool thanks :cool:

ive just found sea salt in the cupboard haha good times:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

I'm considering getting a ring in my left nostril. Where is the best place (as in shop not nose) to get a nose piercing? And roughly the price? Cheers :)

I got it done about 6 weeks ago in Celestial Ring, SGSH. Damn all people who heard me saying I wanted to get it done were too keen on it but I'm very happy with it! :D

I'm from the sticks and a part of the GAA scene so it's a bit unusual for anyone I know to get anything like it. An unusual haircut would earn you a nickname for life! GF wasn't too keen either...

I get the obligitory "what were you thinking?!" from people at first but after that any controversy dies down and have been complemented several times. I'm very happy with the service in Celestial Ring, the artist looked like he walked right off stage from a Blink-182 concert but he was an expert and a gentleman, even though I went in at 17.45 :o

So... All in all, good times! :D

... And in the words of Beyonce: If you like it then you should've put a ring on it!

Advertisement