Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claudio Ranieri - Next Season?

• 23-03-2004 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Which club do you see him at next season?

Which club do you see him at next season? 24 votes

Chelsea
    0% 0 votes
    Spurs (no manager atm + Ranieri lives in London?)
    20% 5 votes
    Liverpool (GH's replacement??)
    33% 8 votes
    Abroad
    25% 6 votes
    Other
    20% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I'd love to see him go to Liverpool. Great manager IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't think he's a great manager but we still all love him.:) He still has to use translator's, can he not just learn the bloody language? He makes really bad tactical mistakes like playing 11 right footed players and he hasn't really impressed in the transfer window by buying every midfielder in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    and he hasn't really impressed in the transfer window by buying every midfielder in the world.

I wonder how much of an input he had in to those signings though? Hes an Italian with background there and in Spain yet he hasn't signed any of those nation's players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Much respect for the (tinker) man, which is why I want him at White Hart Lane!!! And bring Duffer while you're at it Ranners... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I voted for Liverpool but I think its disgracful to get rid of him!
    Anyway. I think Chelsea will win the CL this season!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I wonder how much of an input he had in to those signings though? Hes an Italian with background there and in Spain yet he hasn't signed any of those nation's players.

Italy and Spain have great national leagues so their homegrown players always have numerous options for transfer to clubs within their own country. The big Italian and Spanish clubs have always proved willing to pay big money for homegrown stars too. Aside from that how many people born and bred in the Italian/Spanish climate and cultural environment would chose to move to England when they can stay at home and play for a big club? Very few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Chelsea have a very short memory. Here is a club that was on the verge of administration with no money to but players and how does Ranieri, who had quitely built a progressive team in his time there, deal withthe situation? He qualifies for the Champions League, the biggest income source for a PL club! *THEN*they Abramovich comes along spends millions and he's suddenly not good enough?

I don't thinkmany would have done as well with Chelsea before Abramovich and I don't think you become a bad manager overnight.....

This is what happens if football is run by moneymen. I've heard the players are unhappy with the thought of Ranieri being forced out. I hope they mutiny or something if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by syke
    I hope they mutiny or something if it happens.

Like the players care that much.

It wasn't Ranieri that signed the players, it was The Russian and of course Peter Kenyon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by seansouth
    Like the players care that much.

It wasn't Ranieri that signed the players, it was The Russian and of course Peter Kenyon.

Actually many of the chelsea papers have been quoted as saying they would like him to stay and the insider word atthe bridge is that they are very unhappy about his treatment as they all get on well with him.

Two players went on to clarify that when they were talking aboutthe squad being two big they were having a go at the board and not the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

"Since the beginning I put in my mind that, even if I win everything, I may go home," said Ranieri.

"Someone wrote I was a dead man walking so I only want to see tomorrow. I am taking it day by day, step by step."

The Italian also said he never had any intention of resigning and thanked his players for backing him ahead of the Champions League quarter-final with Arsenal.

"I am not stupid, crazy. I am a gladiator, I enjoy this. Why not? Face to face, it's my English spirit," he added.

"The players are my blood, my strength. Their support is like taking a big vitamin."

I'll miss his quotes more than anything else. I know the language barrier plays a reasonably large part, but even so he has managed to pick up Keegan's slack. For that, I salute him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Liverpool could do worse than sign him but I think he will more than likely stay in London with Spurs being an obvious choice. Its strange to think he could win the CL and still get sacked and if that happens whoever takes over from him is going to have to better that in his first season or the pressure will be on. I can see trouble if chelsea get rid of him as he is popular with the fans and has a reasonably good record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I voted Spurs for the obvious reasons, did'nt Chelsea sack Ruud Gullit when they were 2nd in the table?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by mike65
    did'nt Chelsea sack Ruud Gullit when they were 2nd in the table?

Mike.

They did but wasn,t that becaus he was treating it as a part time job or something along thos lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

As a Mad Chelsea supporter for over 30 years I would love to see CR stay he is one of the few gents in the game and in my opinion has done a great job at Chelsea even before all the money , However if Chelsea go out of the CL in the next few weeks he is gone no matter what the players want.

Come on the Blues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

strange to think he could win the CL and still get sacked

Vincente Del Bosque.

Hardly anyone remembers him now which is sad. :(

Advertisement