Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new mobile number prefix?? 083

Options
  • 23-03-2004 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just a quick question: Is anyone aware of a new mobile operator entering the market? Supposedly the new prefix with be 083.

--laoisfan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

btw - it was just something someone was mentioning to me - could be a load of sh**e!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

yes - it's for 3 Ireland the new 3G operator Hutchinson

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

ahhhhhh sure my friend was not talking a load of sh**e :)

thanks BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I was scanning for Vodafone's 3G network around St. Stephens Greean about 2 weeks ago and noticed O2's 3G network and IRL-04 3G network. I am guessing this is Three's network, it is gone now again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

First person that I know that has been able to see the network.
    Esat BT have started hiring 100+ people this week to help build the 3 network ... They are putting some serious effort into coverage at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah it was only that day it was visible. I live in the area and have not seen it since. May be something I have made up in my head :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

eh... i thought 083 was already used for mtn south africa

www.mtn.co.za

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by VinnyL

www.mtn.co.za

i heard that last night. hows that gonna work??

ComReg Number Application Form: Section 5 Mobile Numbers states:
    The 08X access code is used for mobile communications within the Irish
    Telephony Numbering Scheme. The designation of access codes for mobile
    communications is as indicated in Table 2 below:

Access Code: 083
    Sub. No. Length (Number & Mailbox): 7 & 8
    Network to which numbers are initially assigned: Hutchinson

Allocations of seven-digit Mobile numbers are made in blocks of 100,000
    and an allocation of the associated blocks of eight digit mailbox numbers is
    made automatically, at the same time. No separate application should
    therefore be submitted for mobile mailbox numbers.

Hutchison 3G Ireland Ltd. currently have two blocks of 083 numbers allocated, with their associated mailbox numbers having a 5 prefix :
    0000000 to 0099999
    3300000 to 3399999

Although there are several more 083 blocks reserved, with no allocaton mentioned.

(ref: ComReg National Numbering Allocations)

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

from that site, 084 is licenced out to Access Telecom (Imagine Mobile) Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭halkar

From 3G website, Tariffs, price of national calls 1 yoyo and SMS 0.25 :D and they are under review. Yeah sure , come on 3G :D Me stays with my meteor:p

About this 3G thing, when these networks enabled, can they give internet access to homes via their 3G network? Would be sweet to have up to 384k wireless since our Eircom is too slow providing :D And if the price is right then would be good to have internet where ever you are in Ireland with PDAs and Laptops ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Originally posted by VinnyL

www.mtn.co.za

Seeing as its a different country im sure it'll be fine!

ireland +35383....
    SAfrica +7783....

Jeez, v. simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

About this 3G thing, when these networks enabled, can they give internet access to homes via their 3G network?

The short answer is yes, they can. From my laptop I get 384kbs to the net nicely! As for the price being "right" - that is a totaly different question!!

Originally posted by halkar
    About this 3G thing, when these networks enabled, can they give internet access to homes via their 3G network? Would be sweet to have up to 384k wireless since our Eircom is too slow providing :D And if the price is right then would be good to have internet where ever you are in Ireland with PDAs and Laptops ;)

the data rate you get will be dependant on a range of factors, so for example, there is a reason why Vodafone qualify their card's data rate with the phrase "speeds of up to 384 kbps"

Vodafone currently quote 3G pricing to be the same as their current GPRS pricing:
    GPRS/3G Pricing
    GPRS/3G Pricing:
    "Pay as you use" GPRS/3G
    2c/KB up to 512 KBs and 0.5c/KB for any usage over 512KBs.

GPRS 3/3G (3 Megabyte) No carryover
    €3 Megabyte [0.3c/KB]

although this "3G Pricing" only appeared after they announced their 3G trial last year... talking to some Voda Germany people they couldn't understand why Voda Ireland would publish this kind of 3G pricing i.e. exactly the same as GPRS pricing... looks to be more of a marketing exercise to insert term 3G where they can...

at least over in Germany the actual Vodafone UMTS Mobile Connect Card pricing has been released, an interesting aspect is the choice of being charged by volume or duration

e.g. Here's is an outline of their Mobile Connect Card price plans (without the small print...)

By Time Connected:

Vodafone Time L
    2 hours usage Eur 11.60
    Eur 2.20 for each additional 10 minutes

Vodafone Time XL
    10 hours usage Eur 38.80
    Eur 1.51 for each additional 10 minutes

Vodafone Time XXL
    30 hours usage Eur 69.60
    Eur 1.04 for each additional 10 minutes

By Data Volume:

Vodafone Volume L
    10 MB usage Eur 11.60
    Eur 2.20 for each additional 1 MB

Vodafone Volume XL
    50 MB usage Eur 38.80
    Eur 1.51 for each additional 1 MB

Vodafone Volume XXL
    150 MB hours usage Eur 69.60
    Eur 1.04 for each additional 1 MB

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭halkar

I guess I will be happy to give my yoyos to Eircom when they come to me. :D
    Bl@@dy rippers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I am not aware of any plans for duration based charging for 3G data. It is likely to be different to GPRS rates by launch.

Originally posted by BigMoose
    I am not aware of any plans for duration based charging for 3G data.

well let's hope so as it would be a good option to have for some applications

although Vodafone Ireland haven't offered much choice for data usage (for those not using their PC Card) , e.g. only offering one inclusive GPRS monthly option compared to say the UK with several inclusive packages to choose from
    Originally posted by BigMoose
    It is likely to be different to GPRS rates by launch.

it would definitely have to be different... as they launching their PC Card first will have to wait and see what happens when the handsets arrive

BrianG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement