Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current account mortgages

Options
  • 23-03-2004 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

Is there a tax anomoly with the new current account mortgage idea?

In essence if you have money in the current account it is temporarily offset against the amount outstanding on your loan thereby lowering the amount of interest payable.

Now if I have €1000 on deposit and earn say 1% interest on it, I am liable for DIRT at my appropriate rate.
    Because that same €1000 in my current account is offsetting say 4% in interest charges could the Revenue Commissioners claim that I was in fact benefitting to the tune of 4% and charge me DIRT on it?

I'm a bit concerned that they will decide this over time and backdate the charges. Do anybody out there have a definitive answer on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Start a thread about an illegal immigrant dyslexic black lesbian blind orphan being abused by HIV positive arab fundamentalists in a mental home in Cambodia and everybody jumps in with their 2 cents worth.

Ask a serious question and get fúck all response.

Typical.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Perhaps it's because no one knows.

Why not ask the Revenue people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

In fairness it's a question that's fairly speculative and beyond the scope of anyone without a backround in the industry.

You'd probably get a better response on http://www.askaboutmoney.com or indeed to contact a good accountant yourself.

I thought that the people who frequent this area of the boards would have some financial knowledge or interest in it as a topic. The last thing I want to do is ask the revenue, that could be suicide.
    Nevertheless my last bump did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Silent Death
    Now if I have €1000 on deposit and earn say 1% interest on it, I am liable for DIRT at my appropriate rate. Because that same €1000 in my current account is offsetting say 4% in interest charges could the Revenue Commissioners claim that I was in fact benefitting to the tune of 4% and charge me DIRT on it?
    I seriously doubt it. Look at all those people with no-interest, no-fees bank accounts.

The real problem with those accounts is potentially when you lose your job - all your money is in the wrong account.

Ask your lender if the scheme is revenue approved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Not everyone using boards LIVES on the internet or is even in your time zone.

A c.27 hour buffer zone to start complaining you havent got an answer is childish. Put the toys back in the pram and grow up.

David

Point taken.

* gathers fallen rattle and heads back to mommy *

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Originally posted by Silent Death
    Start a thread about an illegal immigrant dyslexic black lesbian blind orphan being abused by HIV positive arab fundamentalists in a mental home in Cambodia and everybody jumps in with their 2 cents worth.

Typical.:mad:

so very true......

all of these products are regulated by the IFSRA, and have passed the revenue requirements so the points you raised are vaild but not really an issue

Thanks Nutzz.
    Like a lot of people, taxation is something that happens to me, not something I know a great deal about.
    I was just wary of getting slapped with a bill in 12 months and having no provision made for paying it.

Advertisement