Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai and speed limits?

Options
  • 23-03-2004 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering do Gardai have to abide by speed limits in the normal course of their work (i.e. not rushing to the scene of an accident or chasing someone or something). I was behind this Garda car yesterday doing over 60 in a 30 zone. I myself have been caught for speeding doing 40 in a 30 zone, so I bear some bitterness towards this garda car, which will obviously never be penalised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

they have to abide by limits when not an emergency - but you know as well as i do nothing will ever happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

How do you know they were not going somewhere in the course of their duties?
    Just because they don't have the sirens running doesn't mean they're aren't trying to get somewhere quickly.
    They are told not to use the sirens unless it's neccessary to warn road users, especally at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Ah, I watched them cruise into the station and park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ah ha. Their chips must have been getting cold then :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2003/01/29/story11477.asp
    Ask Minister for State Noel Treacy ...
    If you have a good car, a good driver, a good road, a good day and you’re an important person and you’ve a tight schedule then you can break the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I've witnessed this many times also, along with other things such as
    - light breaking (both not stopping for red and pulling away from stopped through the junction before lights went green)
    - undertaking me in a bus lane (when I was adhering to the 30mph speed limit)

But my personal favorite of all time was comming down towards Christchurch one day, passing a Garda car in another lane, I looked over to see the Garde driving along with one arm resting up on the doorsill and a mobile stuck to his ear. I could just imagine the righteous speel I'd get if the situation were reversed....

The hypocrisy is stomach-turning.... How do they expect people to drive responsbly when they clearly think the same laws do not apply to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Worse than Gardai driving above the speed limit is this.

Bus drivers in their bus lane exceeding the 40 mph speed limit. I'm talking especially on the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway. WHat's the deal with that? Has any bus driver EVER been pulled up on that one. They've a nice clear lane, they are carrying passengers (i.e. should be more responsible) and yet they pass me doing 40 every day.

GRRR.

Advertisement