Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouldering in the Mournes?

• 23-03-2004 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Bouldering in the Mournes?

Does anyone know anywhere I can get any info on problems in the Mournes.
    I've tried www.theshortspan.ie and climbing.ie but can't seem to find anything specific on where exactly to go.
    Any info would be appreciate.d

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

Yo Skorzeny,
    check out http://mournemountains.com/climbing.htm. They have a few pages there. I'd put a link here but I haven't a clue.
    Jerry:rolleyes:

just fixing your link E.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

As I'm sure you saw on theshortspan there's bouldering at Binnan Tor. I've never been but I did buy the guide book recently which recommonds the North Tor for bouldering. To get to Slieve Binnan follow the A2 coast road, heading north you turn right before Newcastle down quater road (apparently) to a car park. Follow the track (carrick little track) out of this carpark, I'll quote the book from there:
    For the North Tor: via the Carrick Little Track and Blue Lought to the Slieve Binnan/Slieve Lamagan col, then back southwards up the northern slopes of Slieve Binnan to the Tor.

Probably not much help but there you go. You can buy the Mournes guide book for €20 for Great Outdoors etc.

You could also try the Tollymore Mountain Center for information. The center is just north of Slieve Binnan and I'm sure they'll give you exact directions to the crag. Let us know how you get on cos I'm planning a little excursion that way mehself. I'm sure theshortspan would like some details too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you're going bouldering around wicklow at any time send me a pm and I'll come out and meet up with you. I'm not so good at the moment as my bruised and bloodied hands are telling me but theres a steady improvement over the last few weeks. I'll be back on form in no time :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Skorzeny

Thanks Evil Phil, I`m back now and can tell you that there is some fun to be had on Binnian, but the granite is oh so sharp. Unfortunatly we dragged some hardware up there as well to do some bigger stuff, but there weren`t many climbs in our skill level(which shall be ammended).

Thanks for the offer, I`m down in Cork most of the time but if I am ever up your way I`ll give you a shout. My own skills are ok but I certainly have a lot I can improve on.

Advertisement