Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL BB down?

• 23-03-2004 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

IOL BB down?

I've just tried to connect to my router remotely (I have dyndns set up) and I can't connect.... Maybe it's just this connection but other sites are comingup fine.

X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Fine here - off the Ship Street exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hmm bizarre...

Can someone try accessing my IP

http://rstein.homelinux.com/index.php

It's a test server for a college project...

Thanx

X

Hmm just started working again strange ;)

X

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The download speeds dropped like a STONE last nite, web pages were loading very slowly, speeds were jumping all over the place. It was totally inconsistent.

I've made further calls and complaints to Esat, who accept full responsibility, i had calls from technical support explaining what happened.

They admitted the problem with the BAS is still not fully resolved, nor have they tracked down what happened to the server.

They did assure me the BAS was replaced with a brand new one, so hopefuly over the coming days things will get better for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I have to say, I had the whole Web Page loading slowly problem last night, it was really odd, and all HTTP downloads went to crap. However, my ping was consistently low and ftp downloads were fine too. Maybe it was something to do with IOLs web proxy or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i have no problems with iol here

I have to say I've noticed brief intervals of maybe 1 minute or greater where sites don't respond and I can't ping anything...

I really hope they hurry up and sort it out. At the moment it's grand downloading everything.. I would just like a service that was reliable all the time. I don't think that's too much to ask from a supposedly always online service.

Previously with IOL No Limits I could keep a connection active for 16 hours before it would cut out (Im not sure whether that is maybe an Eircom feature in the case where someone forgot to hang up the phone or whether IOL just dis you after 16 hours of continual connection)... But the point is, I could rely on that not to disconnect once during the 16 hours... presently with IOL BB I find it hard to guarantee anything...

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Xcellor
    I have to say I've noticed brief intervals of maybe 1 minute or greater where sites don't respond and I can't ping anything...
    Same here, it is VERY annoying especially when you are busy grabbing a torrent or playing on-line or doing ANYTHING on line its begining to make me think about changing ISP...not to €ircon...but to someone else (who else:( ).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Same here, it is VERY annoying especially when you are busy grabbing a torrent or playing on-line or doing ANYTHING on line its begining to make me think about changing ISP...not to €ircon...but to someone else (who else:( ).

you dont have much choice unfortunately, best stick where you are methinks iol are normally pretty good, its either utv who are worse than useless or eircom which has a very stable broadband service with no downtime but the 8gb cap may not be enough for you after having 16gb from iol. Cud always look into netsource or any wireless options.

Also this business about not being able to ping anything or browse webbys fora minute or two sounds like port/firewall issues, i had that problem till i pinholed everything and havent had those problems since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Gonzo
    Also this business about not being able to ping anything or browse webbys fora minute or two sounds like port/firewall issues, i had that problem till i pinholed everything and havent had those problems since.
    Its only been recently that this has begun to happen - like since this constant disconnecting crap:mad:, before that it was fine for months on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

is there any way i can get out of my iol contract?
    i find that my connection is REALLY slow,im always getting discconected for no reason and their tech support take about half an hour to get through to which wrecks my head as i know the tech support phone number off by heart from the amount of times ive had to ring them with problems

This is a bad aspect of broadband, being locked into a contract. They should so away with that crap.

I can appreciate needing a contract greater than a month.

I think 12 months is a little excessive but I reckon they don't want a situation where one month company X is cheaper than Y so customer Z will switch. Then company Y becomes cheaper again customer Z switches back... That would cause a lot of extra paper work and general hassle...

But I also think if they are going to tie you into a contract then they should make sure their service is reliable and doesn't make you regret signing on the dotted line so to speak.

A company will only survive if it can keep it's customers happy. Otherwise they goto alternative companies (hmm which one though? they are all crap) and they will continually moan and bitch about the company they were with previously to other potential customers. Those potential customers then pass onto others enquiring "Oh I've heard company Y sucks...". If a service is bad apparently statistics show a customer will tell around 6 people about it... if it's good they will tell 2 :)

See I did pay attention in marketing class :)

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

is anybody out there having problems with iolbb in douglas ,cork. my brother has been offline since last thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

I'm in Broadale. Having problems slow speeds etc and completely down on Sunday but still working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

on half day from work here - IOL BB is acting strange again. every 2nd packet is timing out.

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of

Request timed out.
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=55
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss)
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 17ms

It's screwed up...speeds again today all over the place. I appeal to IOLBB customers to call technical support and complain, as i did today. If enough people report a problem maybe they will take it seriously and start to tweak their new sever properly or whatever needs to be done.

This was never an issue until last Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I just did a speed test and it's booming along full whack but last night it was cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=55
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=203ms TTL=55
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 31ms, Maximum = 203ms, Average = 58ms

Cack again! At least Celtic are on the telly!

Advertisement