Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Denis Hickie be back?

Options
  • 23-03-2004 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know when Denis Hickie is due back from injury, I know he has a very serious injury but he is out 5 months already!

Does anyone know how he is getting on or when he expects to be back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yea, were really missing him..

NOT

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

You don't think Hickie would add anything to the team?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    yea, were really missing him..

NOT
    In my eyes, having Murphy at FB, Hickie at 11 is preferable to Dempsey at 15, Murph at 11 or Murph at FB, Howe at 11. Either way we would be swapping a mediocre player for a good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    We don't even need Howe, chuck Dempsey and play D'Arcy on the wing, then play Maggs in the centre. No Howe, No Dempsey and one of the best back 5 in the world.
    I guess I was thinking from EOS perspective, I can't see him splitting up the current center pairing, who could well start for the Lions ...probably getting ahead of myself talking of next years Lions tour :D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

We don't even need Howe, chuck Dempsey and play D'Arcy on the wing, then play Maggs in the centre. No Howe, No Dempsey and one of the best back 5 in the world.

i cant see how you cant include horgan and hickey in there, hickey is one of the most under rated players for ireland.
    my selection backline selection would be:10 ogara; 11 hickey; 12 darcy; 13 odriscoll; 14 horgan; 15 murphy

now that is the best back line around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

9 Stringer
    10 O/Gara/Humphreys (either will do)
    11 Murphy
    12 Maggs/Henderson
    13 O'Driscoll
    14 Hickie
    15 D'Arcy

Sub: Horgan (Shane)

Now that would be the best backline Ireland has ever had. (in my lifetime anyway)

BTW are there any people here young enough to ask 'Who the hell was Mike Gibson?' with a straight face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

So no one knows when he will be back then?
    :p

10 : O'Gara
    11 : Hickie
    12 : D'Arcy
    13 : O'Driscoll
    14 : Horgan
    15 : Murphy

it's our most lethal backline and the one Eddie O'Sullivan will pick if he has Hickie available.

Maggs has great strength in the crash ball but isn't a quick enough distributor of the ball. and the opposition always know what he is going to do.

with that backline we are unpredictable and can counter attack from anywhere on the field.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by evilhomer
    12 : D'Arcy
    13 : O'Driscoll
    14 : Horgan
    15 : Murphy
    D'Arse at inside center ...isn't he a bit wee for that position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

D'Arse at inside center ...isn't he a bit wee for that position?

Sorry was going by the jerseys they will be wearing.

but if you watch the Dempsey try Vs England
    He was at inside centre for that move and distributed a huge pass.

he would never play at 12 in defense but when we are attacking he is like a second out half at 12 (passing only not kicking)
    Yep Horgan is dead unpredictable, you never know when he's going to give the ball away

Ah dave!

He's not that bad, he has had a few bad games but is still lightning and hard to bring down!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

But Powerade would have to remake all the commercials. Surly that cannot be allowed to happen. It would be an embarrassment for Brian and Irish rugby in general ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That wearing a number 13 while playing at 12 thing is crazy. I'd give him a kick up the ass and tell him wear the right jersey.

Are you even allowed do that under IRB rules? He's named as 12 on the team sheet BTW

Deserves a kick up the ass alright.

I suspect that it probably is legal - some of the English clubs have a tradition of wearing letters, or skipping 13, or whatever else, so there may be a clause to allow that.

Advertisement