Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archery Moderators

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Blind man

ne body ever hear of the term students well der ya go then problem solved. plus wen moderastors start retaliating it only gives ppl somethin else to attack wit.

can somebody give me a lift to Bally mun tech wen we attack im stuck at the mo tanx.

madrab for president

but keep ur hands off the god position dats mine.

ders nt a choc-ice mail service in this country by any chance is der.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by baggins
    the point i'm makin in the first place is that the majority of what we said was relevant to archery or to the moderation of the archery forum, therefore the warnings imposed on madrab and mhairesa were purely anti-humour.
    1. The archery forum is not for discussion of the moderation of the archery forum
    2. I've yet to have it explained to me how "bling blong" and "PEN1S" are relevant to archery
    The moderators seem to have a bit of a power trip going on, what with banning people for ahving a bit of fun.
    One person was banned, and has no problem with it. One and a half people were warned.
    Originally posted by toxof
    One board is enough, if the moderator of the archery board wasnt in to Hitler style Censorship....
    Since I'm the one who did the moderating, I'll take that remark personally. The board was moderated in accordance with the charter. If you don't believe that's so, say so and be prepared to back it up. If you don't like the charter, offer something constructive. If you're not prepared to offer anything of substance, please excuse me while I ignore you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭taby

Right so. I am gonna put forward my view and ya all can either view it an listen to it or just keep rambling on bout sumthin pointless.

Right so:

(1) People if you wanna have fun and joke go to a pub with said people and have a laugh. A board is a fun place and all but emails and private messages can also be used for jokes etc. I myself gor reprimanded over spam and used private messages instead. i did not threaten the poor moderator was said it to me because i myself was in the wrong.

(2) People have to keep control over a board. Go post in another board the kinda stuff u poster in archery forum and see how far you get with it. Seriously :-p

(3) Calling people sumthing alone the lines of hitler is not nice and all and i would never ever call anyone that on a board where every1 can read it. Just because u have a personal vendetta against a moderaor do not drag whole board into it. The way u are goin the people of boards.ie may just decide to ban u all together.

(4) As far as i can see only three or four people have a problem with the way the board is moderatored. The rest of us do not seem to be involved. And these s ame people are the ones running the long pointless threads bout moderators not doing their job. A moderators job is to moderate and to keep the threads in line with charter. Was that not done???!!

That's all I'm saying and can we please stop this utter noncense cos i'm pretty sure anyone who reads this will get all annoyed and reply calling me a mean name or sumthin. But why wud anyone do that because you don't know me at all and all i did was stand up for people who isee have done nothing wrong. :-)

U are allowed ur opinion people but when it hurts people and stuff it has to be commented on.

Peace all :-)

nah taby fair play to ya. ur makin a kinda sense der.

de ting is tho dat wotds wen typed always seem alot different then wen said usually more serious so. nd den u got the whole snowball effect. coz a lot a dese ppl r sein each other on a daily basis aswell.

plus its nt like we r goin to permantly be talkin bolix on the forum nd totally drop archery. this is kinda a like a shot to the system to shaken tingsd up a bit nd den wen d whole ting calms down again den we il have an archery forum dats a bit of craic yet is still archery. ya feelin me. but hen d moderators kinda got got caught up nd den it hgot complicated nd now ders ppl from all over the place postin.

nd den u got ppl like me tryn to explain d hole feckin ting nd makin it all more complicated

so heres a bit of advice ignore dis post.

find urself a choc-ice sit down in front of the fire tink happy touts nd find out wen d election is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It's very hard to decipher a long post full of txt speak :dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Have to agree with you there.

*rubs eyes* Ouch! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭trig

Well, it looks like peace is finally returning to the archery board. Just reading back over the messages I wanna say two or three things:

Its a gross insult to millions of jews, gypsies and disabled people to compare any moderation ( if thats the word ) with Hitler's actions.

I think oscarBravo overreacted initially and perhaps that didn't help with a lot of the bad vibes and offence that followed. In line with the charter or not, a warning and giving things time to cool off or fizzle out would have been preferable to threats and deleting threads.

This is not a battle for control of the board, but an attempt to steer it in a more active and upbeat direction rather then a few posts by the same people before and after each IV. It seems to have worked too.

dats wat i meant. tanx trig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

Was there any harm done really lads and lassies ..... what the point in going on and on and on and on..... Im sure no-one has been offended enough to keep the thread going. I was banned and you dont see me wrecking the mods head with counter arguements or stuff of the like. There were two warnings and one banning and the lads (and friends of) who were warned are making the fuss. There is more important things in life to worry about.... Like Choc-ices! I really enjoyed my Choc- Ice the other day in case ye were wondering and i will be going to the shop on my cig break to get me another one. * Its really feckin warm out !

Put it this way, the archers have gotten loads of pub from this. Which can only be a good thing. :)

1 *I dont work for HB

Talk to ye later!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by trig
    I think oscarBravo overreacted initially and perhaps that didn't help with a lot of the bad vibes and offence that followed.
    I disagree (but then, I would).
    In line with the charter or not, a warning and giving things time to cool off or fizzle out would have been preferable to threats and deleting threads.
    I closed a nonsense thread that had nothing to do (from what I could see) with its title. I deleted a one-post thread that attempted to resurrect the deleted thread. I didn't delete the thread I closed; I don't think halenger did either, which leads me to believe madrab did. I'm open to correction on that.
    This is not a battle for control of the board, but an attempt to steer it in a more active and upbeat direction rather then a few posts by the same people before and after each IV. It seems to have worked too.
    I've closed another thread a few minutes ago. If the content of that thread is what you mean by "active and upbeat" then I vote to change the name of the board from "Archery" to "Inane bullshit" and request to be replaced as moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

how could i close a thread????

anyway

discussing where an archers nickname came from whats wron with that??

and anyway are there an army of midgets stabbing you in the balls everytime someone post a thread that you do not see as "suitable"

where is the harm????

you are welcome to join if you dont want to them you can stear clear

Originally posted by madrab
    how could i close a thread????
    You can't, but you can delete a thread you started. If you didn't, fair enough, but I know I didn't.
    discussing where an archers nickname came from whats wron with that??
    Don't give me that, madrab, the last thread I closed was worse than a drunken IRC session, and wasn't anything whatsoever to do with archery.
    and anyway are there an army of midgets stabbing you in the balls everytime someone post a thread that you do not see as "suitable"

where is the harm????
    Tell you what - go start a thread on Politics and get your friends to join in in a similar vein. If you don't get promptly bitchslapped by one of the mods there, I'll apologise and change my approach to the moderation of the Archery board.
    you are welcome to join if you dont want to them you can stear clear
    See, here's the thing: I'm the moderator. There's a charter for the board, and I'm moderating in accordance with it. In all the recent noise, I've yet to see a proposed new charter.

correct me if im wrong but i tout that this whole ting origionally started as repercussions to madrab's attempt at the publishing of a new charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

Why dont we set up a thread where people can leave there ideas on changes that could be made to the charter.

well there is a vote there now so lets set out our opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭trig

If the content of that thread is what you mean by "active and upbeat" then I vote to change the name of the board from "Archery" to "Inane bull****" and request to be replaced as moderator.
    Despite the fact that some people, even a majority of people, might view some of these posts as inane bull****, it does seem to be what archers want to use the board for. Case in point; I recently posted about the Dublin Derby inviting feedback and ideas for how/when it should be run. I think that post got two or three replies. Some of the posts you refer to above have run to three pages. People are voting with their keyboards.

Also, and I'm wide open to correction here, but short of giving out to people, warning people and banning people oscarBravo, your contribution to any sort of archery discussion on the board has been minimal. As halenger has shown, a balance can be struck between moderation and participation; you seem to be overly fond of the former.

Apart from a brief glance at the archery board when someone said to me "check out all the spam on the archery board" I haven't looked into this, but I think there's a couple of misconceptions underlying this so let me try to clear those up here.

It isn't necessarily a requirement for a moderator to be an active participant in the discussion of the forum. On some forums it can even be an advantage if they're not as it helps to keep objectivity. On some forums it is a definite requirement that the moderator have a keen interest in the subject matter to be able to spot trouble and on other forums it isn't. At any rate, participation doesn't seem relevant to this thread.

As for the majority wishes for use (there's a vote? wtf?), that's not strictly relevant either, and if it was it certainly wouldn't be determined by who can post the most spam and make the most noise. There's a gazillion and one forums on the Internet where people spout crap and are left unchecked. At the end of the day, although people complain and complain about it, the moderation on boards.ie is what makes people want to come back because they know there's less chance of having to wade through spam and crap. In those situations the people who come to merely read or who post quality posts on rare occasion will quietly go away and not bother coming back, and the forum and boards.ie will end up much poorer for it.

Originally posted by Blind man
    correct me if im wrong but i tout that this whole ting origionally started as repercussions to madrab's attempt at the publishing of a new charter.
    If memory serves, madrab's proposed new charter was "bling blong bling blong PEN1S PEN1S." Forgive me for mistaking the serious proposal for something inane.
    well there is a vote there now so lets set out our opinion
    1. As of right now, there has been exactly one post to that thread actually proposing a change to the charter.
    2. The second most popular choice in the poll is "Fibble". That tells me a lot.
    Originally posted by ecksor
    At the end of the day, although people complain and complain about it, the moderation on boards.ie is what makes people want to come back because they know there's less chance of having to wade through spam and crap. In those situations the people who come to merely read or who post quality posts on rare occasion will quietly go away and not bother coming back, and the forum and boards.ie will end up much poorer for it.
    I made that point in a PM to one of the participants: as the board stands right now, I'd be embarassed to invite any of my field archer friends to participate. DeVore once jokingly referred to the board as a "hell-hole of muppetry" - that has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

trig has pointed out that I don't participate all that much: true, but then the bulk of the posters are students and target archers, and the bulk of the discussions surround intervarsities. Contrary to popular belief, the main purpose of the board is not the discussion of intervarsities; that just happens to be the most common topic of conversation. As and when more field archers arrive, you'll see me participate more. As a matter of interest, trig, can you find a post of mine (prior to the recent spam-fest) that wasn't at the very least intended to be helpful or constructive?

The flood of spam only started after a charter was introduced to the board, which strongly suggests to me that the spam is an anarchic response to the idea of rules at all. The fact of the matter is that there was always banter on the board, and there was never any problem with it. Some have asked me on PM why I won't allow even one thread to be devoted to inane chatter - this after I closed a thread whose opening post was:
    Is it me or are all the other threads getting a weeeee bit too complicated and long - v. f*@ked up! so how bout new **** is posted here dat way de more simple minded folk can follow it eaisier. (a certain god aspiring muffin springs to mind) so wat do u tink bout the pedestrianisation of norfolk city centre

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    DeVore once jokingly referred to the board as a "hell-hole of muppetry" - that has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

and we talk crap?

• Advertisement

and we talk crap?

I seem recall DeVore saying that in a joking manner.

Do any of ye actually have a particular grievance to point to or is it much as I suspect in my post above? Just because you are archers doesn't mean that you get to post crap on the archery forum, which seems to be the thrust of your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    .... spam is an anarchic response to the idea of rules at all. The fact of the matter is that there was always banter on the board, and there was never any problem with it.

A charter is only as good as it's enforcement. And I think you enforce it quite well.

Advertisement