Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communication from ISP's to customers

• 23-03-2004 5:24pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that communication between ISP's and their customers is pretty deplorable. Is it unreasobable given the cost of bb (for lots of people it costs over €400 a year) to expect the following when there are disruptions to the service:

1. An updated status report on the ISP's webpsite.

2. A regularly updated taped message on the ISP's support no. so that people don't have to hang on for ages. (If the reason for the call is not related to the current outage there could be an option like 'press 2' to get onto the main line).

3. Where the outage is major(say over a couple of hours) a post on boards giving the likely restore time (or at worst restore date!)

4. When the disruption is over an email to customers explaining what happened and what steps are being taken to ensure it does not happen again.

I cannot imagine that any of these suggestion would take a great deal of time and in turn would take a considerable amount of pressure off the support lines.

They would also show some consideration for customers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Yeah, and its not just an irish thing. Seems to be a problem with most isp's. I suppose its because its such a volume business and when it comes to maximising profit, a spend on customer service doesnt come into the equation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

FYI, basic UTV service statuses are updated in real time here. I'd disagree with the idea of status reports being posted to Boards too. I agree with everything else.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'm on IOL but I'd barely know it if I didn't keep myself informed through boards. When they updated the package a month ago I recieved nothing by post or e-mail to tell me about the new service or that I had the option to downgrade. There is no paper billing the money just gets taken by DD. When I first recieved the service there was no confirmation that I was signed up - the modem just showed up on the doorstep without the username or password.

It's not so bad for regular internet users because we will find out the info one way or the other but I feel sorry for all those beginners out there who are left uninformed. It seems Eircom are just as bad. Friend of mine who doesn't use computers much has BB with them. He had no idea there was a cap, how much the cap was, or how to check it until I told him. All this information should be given to subscribers upon signing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yep I feel the same way, I made a thread similar to this a while ago... ie. I had no information sent to me regarding the new IOL cap or anything... and the only way I can see what they're charging me is through my bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hey!

I got a letter from Esat BT telling me about the new IOL BB plus package and how I will automatically be placed on it. Or I can downgrade via a link :)

Finally they got around to telling us ;)

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I think ISP's should have a dedicated newsletter type thing for their existing customers for when faults occur, or new products are released. AT the very least a recording placed on their phone line for when someone rings up.

That in itself would cut out the useless calls to tech support wondering whats happened to the connection.

Advertisement