Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no dial tone with non-laptop modems

Options
  • 23-03-2004 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I'd love to know if anyone has had this problem, it's really annoying!

If I connect my phone line at home to any internal laptop modem it works fine, get good quality connection etc..

But if I use any kind of external modem (I've tried several) I get no dial tone. If I pick up a phone on the same line while an external modem is connected, the line is dead. Once I disconnect the modem, the line goes back to normal. These modems work fine in my sister's house.

I need to sort this out, as I'm getting a new external bluetooth modem soon.

The phone line is old - the port in the wall still has the old P&T logo on it. Is it something to do with the way it's wired up ??

There's obviously some difference between laptop internal modems and other modems that effects this.

help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like there's too much power being drawn by the external modems.

Try unplugging any phones on the line, particularly those with LCD displays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 blackdogbytes

I tried that already - no good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

The only thing I can think of is that the port on your laptop for the external modem is faulty.

Can you get any other devices working on this port?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

Probably irrelevant, but have you checked your cable? It might be a UK one or something - in the UK they use the two outside wires & we use the two inside ones (or vice versa, I can't remember).

I recently had a problem with a BT phone & no dial tone. Getting an adapter for the cabl to switch over the wires solved it. It might be the same for your modem.

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 blackdogbytes

I've tried several cables and modems, so it's not device related. It's definately something to do with the phone socket - but what exactly, I'd love to know!!

Anyone else ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement