Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you don't like group stages in champ league, then close your eyes now!

• 23-03-2004 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Doesn't sound like the CL teams could fit in anywhere really - nor should they, it's bloody stupid teams being dumped out of one competition going into another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

could be good for the smaller teams (for example: ireland ) if they manage to get into the first round...

The only thing I dislike about the group format ... its that top clubs get seeded... I think it should be an open draw.. <but clubs from the same country cant play each other... until the knock out>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

While it may be good for irish teams finacially ,if they get into the first round, theres a good chance with a 5 team group that they wouldnt get through . (well i suppose there would be 2 teams getting through each group so maybe not as bad as i had though .)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Kinda off topic but I think its time they renamed the champions league.

First of all its not a league, it has a group stage yeah but its a cup. Similar format to the World Cup, they don't call that the world league do they!?

And also its not the Champions League! Arsenal and Chelsea meet on Wednesday but neither of them are Champions. I'm not begrudging them their place but technically Shelbourne have more right to be there than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheC0CK

Originally posted by NightStrike

First of all its not a league, it has a group stage yeah but its a cup. Similar format to the World Cup, they don't call that the world league do they!?

And also its not the Champions League! Arsenal and Chelsea meet on Wednesday but neither of them are Champions. I'm not begrudging them their place but technically Shelbourne have more right to be there than them.

Good point, I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Aren't you a Manchester Utd fan NightStrike?? United weren't champions the previous season when they won the Champions League in 98/99 so are you going to write off that trophy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

I think his point is that the name is incorrect, not the qualification procedure. I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Look up the actual definition of LEAGUE - it's more connected to the idea of 'association' rather than a large group of teams playing in a round-robin system.

What you're talking about is league TABLES and as such the term champions 'league' is still quite valid.

I agree with you about the 'champions' part tho. Perhaps they should name it the 'merchandise league' or something equally noble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I disagree with you . The best teams from each league in Europe compete and the winner are crowned the champions of Europe. Adding the second and third teams from the strongest leagues has made it a better competition and harder to win so truly making it the champions league with all the best teams competing against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Aren't you a Manchester Utd fan NightStrike?? United weren't champions the previous season when they won the Champions League in 98/99 so are you going to write off that trophy?

No but like I said I'm not begrudging anyone their place in the competition, all I'm saying is the name doesn't fit with me...
    Neither Arsenal or Chelsea are Premiership champions but I'd love to see either of them lift the cup in May
    I disagree with you . The best teams from each league in Europe compete and the winner are crowned the champions of Europe. Adding the second and third teams from the strongest leagues has made it a better competition and harder to win so truly making it the champions league with all the best teams competing against each other.

Undoubtedly having the better teams in there makes it a better competition and I support that but the idea of the name "Champions League" came about not because the team who won were called the Champions of Europe but because it would contain the champions of each nation to decide the ultimate champion so to speak. This no longer applies however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

was it not called the European Cup when only the winners of each league played. I can't remember when it changed to the Champions league and if The second place teams were allowed in but it was fairly recently..

Advertisement