Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUI grade changes

Options
  • 23-03-2004 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Someone today mentioned recent? NUI grade changes, whereby first class honours has been subdivided, in the style of 1.1, 1.2, as second class is.

nui.ie and google.ie have no info.

anyone know the story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It could be something to do with proposed changes coming from the EU and the Bologna agreement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

There was some mention of this in an NUI Report entitled 'The NUI Federal University in an Era of Transition' published in 2002. There are two tables of proposed grade changes in Appendix 4. The report used to be available as a pdf file on the UCD website but has been removed, so I'll quote from the second table on page 24:
    2. PROPOSED GRADE DESCRIPTORS
    The Senate at its meeting on 7 November, 2002 having given further consideration to the proposed Grade Descriptors, recommended that the Academic Councils be requested to consider the following Proposed Grade Descriptors, as a common set of descriptors of student performance, to be used in conjunction with the Proposed Revised Marks Bands, in examinations connected with the award of NUI primary degrees. The Senate wishes to emphasise that these Proposed Grade Descriptors are not regarded by the Senate as definitive, but as illustrative and to be complemented, where appropriate, by Faculty or Departmental descriptors.

GRADE Marks

1st CLASS HONS

90-100

Supreme performance, engaging profoundly, systematically and comprehensively with question set,
    brilliantly demonstrating
    • a superlative mastery of the subject matter, richly supported by evidence and citation, reflecting deep
    and broad knowledge and understanding as well as extensive reading
    • an outstanding ability to organise, analyse and express ideas and arguments in an original,
    sophisticated and discriminating manner
    • an optimal capacity for critical analysis
    • the display of rare penetrative insight, originality and creativity

80-89

Exceptional performance, engaging deeply and systematically with the question set, with consistently
    impressive demonstration of
    • a comprehensive mastery of the subject matter; amply supported by evidence and citation,
    • reflecting deep and broad knowledge and critical insight as well as extensive reading
    • an exceptional ability to organise, analyse and present arguments fluently and lucidly with a high level
    of critical analysis
    • a highly-developed capacity for original, creative and logical thinking;

70-79

Highly superior performance, engaging closely and systematically with the question set, with consistently
    strong evidence of
    • a comprehensive mastery of the subject matter, ably supported by evidence and relevant citation
    • excellent ability to organise, analyse and express arguments fluently and lucidly with a high level of
    critical analysis
    • a highly-developed capacity for original, creative and logical thinking

Similar descriptors are provided for the lower grades.

A table on the previous page mentions the three sub-bands for first class honours mentioned above, listing them in the same table cell under the general heading of First Class Honours. They are not named or listed separately as 1:1, 1:2 etc. as are the 2:1 and 2:2 grades.

I could be wrong about this, but I think the last time I looked at an NUIG prospectus they had reduced the minimum overal mark for a 2:1 to 60, but there was no mention of subdividing firsts. {Edit}I can't seem to find that again anywhere in their prospectus now-must have imagined it. :dunno:

PM me an email address if you want a copy of the NUI PDF (127KB).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

That would be quite a profound change - in Arts, the highset possible % you can get at the moment is around 85% AFAIK.

It seems pointless though, given that very few people get a first anyway unless it's to standardise with the rest of Europe. I know that in France you get marks out of 20 and you have every integer from 0 to 20 as a possible grade and this does allow for finer distinctions between candidates.

What would they do with people who already have firsts, I wonder? Would they redefine them or leave them as they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Don't know, but I've a feeling that the grade bands/regulations in place when you graduated will still apply. I should be getting an M.Litt this year, but as it was called an MA when I registered many moons ago I have been informed that is what I'll be awarded. :(

I'd say there will also be a lot of people who previously graduated with 60s who'll be very peeved if/when they start awarding 2:1s at that mark.

Advertisement