Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Forum Suggestion] Philosophy

Options
  • 23-03-2004 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I have an interest in Philosophy and thought that somewhere to post ideas or to look for help on an idea or to post other philosophical thoughts for debate might be a very cool idea for a forum.

What do you think <excuse the pun>
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

This is something I've thought before that I'd like to see but I don't know what the interest would be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I could imagine people would have an interest. But As you can imagine there would be people posting cra p like "What is my cat". It would also be hard to know what is spam like the cat question some could argue is about the meta physical and might be a serious post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

i think it could work well, and I guess it wouldnt have to be hugely popular either, just a small group of Irish Thinkers (not tinkers.... thats not the same)

One thing is, I can see a slight problem with some flame wars starting up quite easily, as someone gets abit roudy when another disagrees, it would have to be modded as strictly as somewhere like politics, no personal attacks, just constructive criticism on the ideas etc.

still....thumbs up here

Flogen

yeah i can imagine a lot of

John-"Your cat is purely an arrangement of matter"
    Bill-"NO, My cat has a soul"
    John-"**** off"
    Bill-"Your cat is shi te"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Strangely I always thought of Humanities as the place for stuff like this, but now that I come to really think about it I don't think I've seen a philosophical thread there (its mostly news of the day) and there isn't really a place to post philisophical discussions.

There are religion boards but its hard to take in users to a broad thread there as they are more community based.

All in all, may be a lively forum if its created.

• Advertisement

As things stand Humanities is the most suitable place, aye, but the only thread relevant to this forum I've seen in general public forums is on the Literature forum a while ago. There's a fair amount of interesting topics that come up on some of the community forums but they tend to degenerate if the community is based around a particular philosophy or belief under discussion and I'm not even thinking of the religion forums there ;)

Originally posted by ecksor
    they tend to degenerate if the community is based around a particular philosophy or belief under discussion and I'm not even thinking of the religion forums there ;)

I'd be skeptical about that!

Philosophy itself might make a decent community Forum to start off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can see only trouble ahead...it won't even be polite and well considered either!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

[Family Guy]................................................why?[/Family Guy]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

We do get the occasional philosophical musing but mostly these days it seems to be reactions to news stories and social issues.

Dunno how successful a philosophy forum would be but I can't see any reason not to create it. If it fails I suspose it could be merged into Humanities or Literature or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by flogen
    One thing is, I can see a slight problem with some flame wars starting up quite easily, as someone gets abit roudy when another disagrees, it would have to be modded as strictly as somewhere like politics, no personal attacks, just constructive criticism on the ideas etc.
    Absolutely - if this goes ahead it will need to be VERY heavily moderated. The emphasis on moderation is VITAL to this idea of creation. I think, therefore I am, that moderation of this forum is going to be needed EXTREMELY much. Make sure to have at least 4 moderators or it will fall into disarray.

I agree that it will need to have a lot of moderation however it will need mods that will try and decipher spam form quite unusual ideas that certainly will arise.

Originally posted by Gordon
    Make sure to have at least 4 moderators or it will fall into disarray.
    I don't think Flogen still has that many accounts Gordon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Why not change Humanities into Humanities / Philosophy ?

Otherwise, yes I think its a good idea for a forum.
    icon14.gif

Originally posted by yellum
    Why not change Humanities into Humanities / Philosophy ?

Otherwise, yes I think its a good idea for a forum.
    icon14.gif

Only problem I see is if philosophy takes off, humanities mods probably have enough on theirplate as it is (although thatsup to them to decide).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Philosphers can be very animated/stubborn people. I can imagine the flames will burn fiercly.

Other than that though, I'd be quite interested in this fourm.

We'll arm the moderators with pokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Can't hurt to give it ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think it's an interesting concept :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭fitz

I agree, it would need to have a few mods(I'd be willing to co-mod it), but I think it could be a very worthy forum.

I reckon give it a go, if it proves too flamey, knock it on the head.

• Advertisement

So what do the Admins think, is this a goer?

Originally posted by Kappar
    So what do the Admins think, is this a goer?

Erm, harassing admins is the last way to get a decision. I think you made a good arguement, leave it with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I agree with everyone who thought it was a decent idea.

Particularly amp.

Originally posted by syke
    Erm, harassing admins is the last way to get a decision. I think you made a good arguement, leave it with them now.

I didn't mean to be harrasing, maybe it looked like that and if it did; Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

Yep, thumbs up from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

The problem with the humanities board is that people tend to get stuck in specific details of news events and such rather than looking at things from a more generalised, philosophical viewpoint. So, I think there's a need for a philosophy forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement