Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverting back from XP Pro to HE

Options
  • 24-03-2004 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

HEllo,

I installed an illegal copy of XP Pro, I did have XP Home Edition pre-installed on the PC before hand. I got a crack CD-Key for XP Pro and now whenever I try to get updates it recognises its an illegal copy and doesn't install the updates. Is there any way of reverting back to my original XP Home Edition?

Also I downloaded a shareware "fine tune" program that tidies up your PC, ie start up etc.. now whenever I log into my PC after the bit where you enter your password it takes ages to start up, there must be a file or something missing.

Can anyone help me on the above problems?

Thanks in advance.

SP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

illegal copy of XP Pro --> theres a crack that will creat a valid CD Key so you can install updates

As for the start up problem,

Go to START --> RUN --> Type "msconfig" without the "" go to the start up TAB and disable all services, when you reboot only the essitial services will start and your problem will be gone,

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Did that it's still taking about 1 minute from entering password to the desktop appearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

sniff sniff, i think i can smell a modnearby, hide lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

The only way to get Home Edition abck is to format and clean install.

Make sure to back up your important data first.

You can use the File and Settings transwer Wizard to help you to customise your new HE with your current Pro settings.

Got the "Invalid CD Key" problem solved & got SP1 downloaded.

The problem regarding the time it takes to log in still exists. Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers in advance!!

SP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I suggest you purchase software in order to recieve a least some technical support, now away with you and read the charter before posting.

Oh and joePC, thats not the first time you`ve indulged in warez talk on boards

Relax I'm only asking for advice, snotty b*****d.
    People do make mistakes when getting shareware programs, we're not all perfect like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by stephen p
    Relax I'm only asking for advice, snotty b*****d.
    People do make mistakes when getting shareware programs, we're not all perfect like you.

is it the same logging on with a different profile?

is it the same logging on with a different profile?
    Are u talking about the quote or my problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Your login problem,

if you log into windows under a different profile

does the problem still exist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Oh and joePC, thats not the first time you`ve indulged in warez talk on boards

Freedom of information that my moto, come on we all now its there, and I was very suttle,

Thanks joePC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Microsoft do NOT allow you to downgrade OS's

IHMO this is a marketing ploy - to force you to buy the license.
    I sure there are technical reasons, but apart from the registry much of the difference between home/pro/server/enterprise in the same family is just extra dll's for the extra services..

You could try a dual boot - install home in a second folder (eg c:\winhome) so you can copy files out of the windows folder.

Bottom line your registry is dodgy so unless you have a system state from before the Pro upgrade (and even then the fact it's a different license...) ya might as well consider the current install toast.

If you can't install the updates - msblaster and co are still out there.

I was going to say run ntbackup to backup the files into a single file - but there was something funny about ntbackup in Home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Stephen p and joePC, this isn't the place to discuss warez. Do it again and you'll be banned from the Windows forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement