Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank and wireless router

Options
  • 24-03-2004 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I finally took the plunge and bought a Netgear MR814 802.11b Wireless 4-Port Cable/DSL Router. Everything is working fine, apart from Ulster Bank Internet banking.

No problems with it when I am in work, but when I am at home, the "application" fires up a java applet and seems to hang, so I'm fairly sure that it's the router. As I am new to all this, what I need to know is how do I figure out what the problem is? Any tips on what I need to look for on the laptop and the router?

The router log files show nothing, just that it's contacting Ulster Bank (successfully).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If it's hanging on a java applet it's worthwhile eliminating your java install from the list of possible reasons. What are you running there? (which version of proper sun java or MS JVM are you running)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm using Sun's own JVM.

(from the console)
    Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.4.0_01
    Using JRE version 1.4.0_01 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

I also discovered this in the Java Console:

load: class UBSign.class not found.
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: UBSign.class at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
    at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

... 11 more

Interesting, I hadn't seen this before now.

Bear in mind that this applet works fine when I am connected to the network at work.

:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just a thought and apologies if you have already done this. If you set your internet banking account up one computer you then have to transfer your security key onto whatever other computer you wish to access your account on. Just wondering if you have done this?

Oops. I probably didn't clarify that it is the same laptop I use at work and at home.

I know the .der file you are talking about, I've had fun in the past copying it from on PC to the next. But that doesn't matter in this case since I bring the laptop home with me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

So much for that bright idea:) Just to let you know I use a linksys wireless router 54g and Ulster bank works fine for me theres just never enough money in the account!!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dub45
    theres just never enough money in the account!!!

That's funny, I have the exact same problem :D Don't know if Boards.ie users can help us with this one, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

When I signed up for UB's online service, I got it to work on my work PC no problem, but couldn't get it going on my home machine, even after copying the .der file etc. When I rang their support they told me to disable Sun Java, and use the M$ JVM instead. Sure enough, it worked. I've just tried it again now, and it definitely only works for me with the M$ one. With Sun, I get the same error as you in the console, excepr your has an extra line:

at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

and mine says "10 more" at the end.

Doesn't answer your question, I know, but it might be worth your while trying the M$ VM.

Advertisement