Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus

Options
  • 24-03-2004 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Where are all the virus emails coming from. I normally get 1 or 2 per day but so far today I have got 12. Nortons caught them all, but there must be a lot of people out there with infected machines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Pataman
    but there must be a lot of people out there with infected machines.
    There are. I haven't received all that many but I edit a webpage for a college society that would have lots of people with its mail address in their contact lists and the emails are piling in. Lots of lovely pif files attached to many of them as well (I usually access the account through pine via ssh so I don't care really)

It's amazing the number of people who either don't have a virus checker or have one and never update it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭ando

I find that Netsky is rampid at the moment. Its everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Best Thing To Do Is Not Check Those Emails With "Microsoft Security Patch"
    Or Any Other Emails That You Dont Expect. Programming Is Turning Malicious, And What Better Way To Spead Other Than Email. A Mate Of Mine Got W32.Jeefo From His Mail Provider,Copied To Every .exe Within 12 Hours, But He Didnt Have Norton, Took Me On The Network To Discover. But What Better Way To Market An Antivirus Progam Than By Writing Virus'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

I have counted 32 copies of netsky to all my mail acconts in the past 24 hours, rampid, that a bleeding understatement.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Yeah i normally get a good few too alright. Also another thing that i have noticed in the spam mail that i recieve in my hotmail account is that alot of the messages have the title "see there private emails", "steal there passwords" etc., is there osme new prog that all the spammers r trying to propagate?

also nick why do u have a capital for each word?? please stop, its very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i've seen people who can't use just one full stop, they use 6-10 in a row as their line ender.......... I find that really annoying............ :p

Anyway, i went through a stage about 4 weeks ago when i'd get about 10 virii e-mails everyday, which was a PITA as some idiot here nearly opened one. It would probably have been caught by my virus scanner, but not opening the attachment is always the better option.

So far i havn't gotten any in the last 3 weeks though, maybe i'm just lucky with this one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

up until last week we were getting up to a 1000 infected mails a day..

All have been caught by the AV but its a real pain having to go clearing them out ever hour or so... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Originally posted by suppafly
    also nick why do u have a capital for each word?? please stop, its very annoying

Sorry, force of habit,i'll try and cut down.
    Im getting that micosoft security patch mail every day now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    i've seen people who can't use just one full stop, they use 6-10 in a row as their line ender.......... I find that really annoying............ :p

What is wrong with my fade out effect?
    Your allusions...........:cool:

Advertisement