Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbished Oxfam computers

Options
  • 24-03-2004 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

did I hear this right? on the radio the other day? Francis St.?

anyone know about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yellowfrog

i saw a sign in oxfam rathmines, reconditioned laptops from 120 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OxfamIreland

Hi there!

Yes, you've heard right - we're bringing computers back to life! :)

We're very excited to be officially launching our new refurbished computers range - 'Born Again' on May 6th. We've got three desktop and three laptop models starting from €120 available to buy online at oxfamireland.org/computers (not live yet - please check back in on May 6th) or in selected Oxfam shops across the island of Ireland (listed below).

ROI:

Kings Inns Street, Dublin 1
    Francis Street, Dublin 8
    Rathmines, Dublin 6

Bray
    French Church Street, Cork
    Dundalk
    Ennis
    Kilkenny
    Limerick
    Mullingar
    Navan
    Sligo
    Tralee
    Tullamore
    Waterford
    Wexford

NI:

Castle Street, Belfast
    Rosemary Street, Belfast

Ballyhackamore
    Botanic
    Cookstown
    Coleraine
    Enniskillen
    Omagh
    Portadown

Shop contact details here: http://bit.ly/Zpgz4D

We've been trialling them out in a handful of our shops so that's why you've heard about them ahead of the official launch date.

Every 'Born Again' computer purchased will help transform the lives of people living in poverty by funding our emergency response, long-term projects and campaigning.

If you've got any questions please comment here and we will reply.

And if you'd like to pick one up we hope you'll visit our website or drop into your local Oxfam Ireland 'Born Again' stockist from the list above.

Thanks,

Oxfam Ireland

Mod Approval Granted - yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Hi there!

or in selected Oxfam shops across the island of Ireland (listed below).

The Oxfam-books shop on French church street, Cork City Centre has them too (it's not on your list).

Well spotted Gamayun - we've updated the list above now. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

What type of Specs are the Laptops ?

21/25

• Advertisement

We have three laptop models (and three desktop models). All function perfectly, come with Windows 7 and have 6-month warranty.

The laptop specs are:

Laptop Plus - €240 / £199
    Configure
    Dual Core 1.8 Ghz
    60 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB RAM, DVD-ROM
    14” Screen, 6 month guarantee

Laptop Pro - €290 / £225
    Configure
    Dual Core 2.2 Ghz
    160 GB Hard Drive, 3 GB RAM, DVD RW

Surfer Laptop - €180 / £150
    Configure
    Pentium M 1.7 Ghz Processor
    40 GB Hard Drive, 1 GB RAM, DVD-ROM

And just in case anyone is interested in the desktops, their specs are:

Surfer Desktop - €120 / £99
    Configure
    Pentium 4, 1.8 Ghz
    60 GB Hard Drive, 1 GB RAM, DVD-ROM
    17” TFT Screen, 6 month guarantee

Desktop Plus - €180 / £150
    Configure
    Dual Core 1.8 Ghz
    60 GB Hard Drive, 1 GB RAM, DVD-ROM

Desktop Pro - €240 / £199
    Configure
    Dual Core 2.66 Ghz
    160 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB RAM, DVD RW

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Windows 7 is a poor move on half of them TBH, XP would perform better and wouldnt use half the drive(More really when you count in formatting). Surfer Laptop would have under 10GB free.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ED E wrote: »
    Windows 7 is a poor move on half of them TBH, XP would perform better and wouldnt use half the drive(More really when you count in formatting). Surfer Laptop would have under 10GB free.

XP support is on the way out, MSE no longer supports it and the free AV products will probably follow not long after, given that the vast majority of XP users are probably using the free version of AVG & Avast etc. so there's no loss of revenue if they're cast adrift and it's costing money to keep producing updates to the XP version on every refresh.

Agree with the general principle of reducing space requirements on an old machine but you can't stay too old when it comes to the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ED E wrote: »
    Windows 7 is a poor move on half of them TBH, XP would perform better and wouldnt use half the drive(More really when you count in formatting).

XP is end of life. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I dont agree that its end of life, its coming to the end of being supported but the fact is it still has a huge enterprise install base. Those machines would be perfect for a light linux distro, but obviously that'd never sell. 7 though isnt designed for bloody P4s. It'll run, but not well by any stretch.

Not trying to hate on Oxfam here, they're well meaning but these are refurb's priced at cheap netbook prices that will under perform. And if those drives are originals then their lifespan is questionable, as are the batteries. Funding the work they do is a great thing but selling laptops to people on the breadline(thats who'll be buying these I'd wadger) that arent really up to scratch isnt great IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

+1 on a linux install, would work really well, way faster than Windows.
    I hope Oxfam didn't pay for the Windows OS on them,
    I wish linux was a little better known and trusted, then these computers could have sold with a better set up for their hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'm going to pick up one of the €120 desktops and stick linux on it for sure. It will just sit in an office/bedroom as a spare.

The fact that there is a screen included seals the deal for me.

Hi all!

Our refurbished computers are now available to buy online here: https://www.oxfamireland.org/computers/shop

We hope you find something that fits your needs and your budget! And don't forget, with every purchase you’ll be helping to raise vital funds for our work around the world. Happy shopping!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,310 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OxfamIreland, as you are posting on behalf of a company I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account will result in a siteban.

Advertisement