Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DG834GUK 54Mbps Wireless ADSL + wireless user login

• 24-03-2004 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi Freinds,
    I have Netgear DG834GUK 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router. My freind has a laptop with wireless card. I have enabled the wireless option in the router.

But the problem is whoever has the the wireless card can access it. But how can i assign username and password or restrict the access using the router.

Any help is appreciated.

cheers,
    RHN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I have a similar situation, PC hooked to the 100Mbit port and a Laptop on WiFi, using eircom's wireless router.

Here's what I've done:
    • Turn WEP on at the router (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
      It will generate a set of encryption keys.
    • Turn on WEP at the laptop, you'll be asked to put in the encryption key and the key slot (there are 4 slots, for 4 different keys).
    • Get the laptop's WiFi card's MAC address
    • Set the router to filter MAC addresses, to deny all connections except the one coming from your laptop

It's pretty simple and only takes a few minutes so set up.
    I know it's not fully secure but it's a huge step from having your network open to everyone.

If both your router and the network adapter support WPA Wireless Security, you can download a patch for Windows XP that adds WPA support. More on that here.

You can also find out more on WiFi and Windows in general here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

Thanks very much Netman !
    Your information is very useful to me !

Will try it today and let you know about the results !

I am using windows xp profession, I will install the patch you suggested and go through the information on the website .

You have been great help to me, your help is much appreciated.

thanks a million

Happy
    RHN

No problem, glad to be of assistance :)

Let us know how you get on.

Grand Job,

1) Enabled Wireless Access point
    2) Enabled WEP
    3) entered a passphrase & gave me 4 keys.
    4) On laptop enabled WEP & entered the same passphrase
    5) Enabled Access control

Everything working fine now.

Do I have to do anything for safety/security of the net ? Or is this more then enough.

Thanks for the help lads, its much helpful

RHN

Well you'll probably want to have some sort of a firewall installed.

Windows XP have a software firewall, but I don't know how much faith I'd put into Microsoft's products.

On the other hand, your Netgear router probably comes packed with features. If you're just a regular user interested in surfing the web, reading email, playing games and stuff, then the simplest configuration would do.

Just set your router to do NAT routing, and if you have an option for specifying specific server ports on the LAN you can manually asign them. (For example port 80 if you're running a web server and want it visible from the internet)

In general, NAT only routes incoming packets that are coming back as a response to a request you've sent out. For example, you request a web page, the remote web server will send back the requested page, and your router will pass that on to your PC. If there's any unrequested data coming in, the router generally discards it unless specifically instructed not to do so. (in the example of the local web server, you wouldn't request any data, but someone on the internet will type in your ip address or domain name and request a page)

And yeah, having an up-to-date antivirus program running on your PC is a must these days.. Like Norton Antivirus 2004 Professional.

• Advertisement

1)Fully patched WinXP Profesional
    2)Tiny Personal Firewall
    3)F-secure Antivirus

Installed on each machines.
    Hope this should do well !

I will think about NAT today !
    One more question what do i have to do become a good linux administrator ?

thanks for the help !

well with the linux community the great thing is that there's tons of resources openly available to everyone. this includes administration manuals, how-to's etc.

you can check this for a start :)
    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lame/LAME/linux-admin-made-easy/

Advertisement