Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Bush Allows Gays to Be Fired for Being Gay

Options
  • 24-03-2004 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Its actually his Special Counsels interpretation of a 1978 law. But its still scary.

http://www.misleader.org/daily_mislead/Read.asp?fn=df03202004.html
    Bush Allows Gays to Be Fired for Being Gay

Despite President Bush's pledge that homosexuals "ought to have the same rights" 1 as all other people, his Administration this week ruled that homosexuals can now be fired from the federal workforce because of their sexual orientation.

According to the Federal Times, the president's appointee at the Office of Special Counsel ruled that federal employees will now "have no recourse if they are fired or demoted simply for being gay." 2 While the Bush Administration says it is legally prohibited from firing a person for their conduct, they have the legal right to fire or demote someone based on their sexual orientation. To carry out the directive, the White House has begun removing information from government websites about sexual orientation discrimination in the workplace. 3

Not only does the new directive contradict the president's own promise to treat homosexuals as equals under the law, but it also contradicts what the Administration told Congress. As noted in a bipartisan letter from four Senators to the Administration, "During the confirmation process [of the president's appointee], you assured us that you were committed to protecting federal employees against unlawful discrimination related to their sexual orientation." 4

Sources:

1. Debates, 10/11/2000.
    2. "OSC to study whether bias law covers gays", Federal Times, 03/15/2004.
    3. "Gay Rights Information Taken Off Site", Washington Post, 02/18/2004.
    4. "Special Counsel Under Scrutiny", Washington Post, 02/23/2004.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

someone should egg the b'stard when he comes here in the summer, every day the world discovers another reason to hate the administration more:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

An anthrax egg perhaps? Pity the rest of the administration won't be there to be killed off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

George Bush is great - just when I think I couldn't hate the fcuker enough, he goes on and does something like this.

FWIW, I think I read some other article on the issue that said this new ruling could be revoked upon review. Or assumedly if Kerry gets in and Bush gets out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Time to join Al Quaeda methinks. Could give them some of my advice - "Next time you try something like that, crash the plane into the WHITE HOUSE AND THE PENTAGON FIRST, not the twin towers".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

One wonders if it isn't technically illegal for you to have said that, K.ORiordan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Yoda
    One wonders if it isn't technically illegal for you to have said that, K.ORiordan.
    Not in Ireland, one thinks :)

We are now off topic.

Membership is paramilitary organizations is illegal, isn't it? "Time to join the IRA"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Because he put methinks in it, is it more an expression more than an intent. Surely you can't be put in jail for thinking ?

And yes we are offtopic, if you want to continue on I'll split this and make it a thread in Humanities.

Damien.

He suggested an "anthrax egg" too; wouldn't that be conspiracy to commit.....

Whoops. Am I trolling? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Jesus this guy (Bush) makes Dumb and Dumber look like a pair of Einsteins.

Hope someone else wins the elections, this moron did enough damage in his presidential career for the next 10 presidents to rectify.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not living there. People probably had better civil rights in Iraq and Afghanistan :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

With the content of this thread we may as well be waving at the guys in Homeland Security!

Hi guys!! Keep up the good work undermining civil liberties:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

thats ****ing ridiculous. isn't that violating the basic human rights agreed to by the UN?

Advertisement