Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dáil Committee Reports . 5Mbits for everyone in 2 years / fire Mary Hanafin !

Options
  • 24-03-2004 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Well.......they asked for :

"the appointment of a single Minister of State with cross-departmental responsibility for the rollout of national broadband infrastructure and the development of e-government services. "

Which means the same thing, Hanafin is too busy whipping the FF boys to do E-**** All about E-Anything.

There are a total of 12 recommendations along with the following objectives (apart from firing the useless Hanafin ) .

"The first objective is to define broadband as a service that provides at least 512Kb per second connectivity and set as a target 5Mb per second by 2006 with widely available 10Mb per second connectivity in 2008 as a further target. "

Yeah, I'll believe that :D

Full story on Silicon Republic who have been itching to report on it for a while.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ROFL. That's about all I can say.

I live about 30 miles west of Dublin in a small village and Eircon have told me that I won't be getting broadband until March 2005.

Could it be that Eircon are holding off to commence a secret pilot of 5Mbps broadband? Could me and my fellow villagers be the envy of the country with super high speed internet speeds, no download caps and wonderful customer service?

Sorry, I drifted off there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Is this report available online??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Mail the clerk of the committee for it, he has not answered me yet though. See
    Here .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Originally posted by thegills
    Is this report available online??

We were told that it would be available Friday.

/me looks at the cdrom he was given

Volume one is at http://273k.net/Broadband2ndReportVolume1.pdf, volume two is 65MB so I'll leave it until Friday.

BUMP.

Is Volume II ready yet?? I want to see the presentations !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Seems it still hasn't been upload yet by the gov, so here you go.

http://273k.net/report2.zip 40MB

Please don't kill my hosting service. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'll upload it to a UL server later (34Mps line as far as I know so screw their hosting service) when I get it downloaded

Thanks guys. I'm only on a crappy DSL line so I'll wait until the PDF version is available.

Uploaded to here

(62.8MB)

I'll leave it there a week or two. Bandwidth isn't a problem as the file will be served over HEANet but my disc usage is. I've unzipped it as it'll be less likely to be removed if it's a pdf file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

did you not get those Zip Disks .....ingrate :D

M

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Muck
    did you not get those Zip Disks .....ingrate :D

M
    Crap, thought I sent you a message about that but there's nothing in my message tracking. Received, working, very grateful, owe you one.
    (especially given that another one of my ten-year old ones packed it in about a fortnight ago)

UL's three miles away and walking there today might be overkill.

Advertisement