Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost sound on upgrade to XP

Options
  • 24-03-2004 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I have just upgraded my desktop PC from Windows ME to XP Professional.

Everything went well except that my PC is now mute. I have a Gateway PC with a Creative Live! (its now Creative Dead! I suppose) soundcard and Boston Acoustic 7500G speakers

The only sound I can get now is through a set of headphones plugged into the spoudcard speaker port.

And there is only sound from files played in Winows Media Player, there's no system sounds and no sound from files played through Flash, Quicktime or Real Player etc

I have driven myself demented upgrading drivers and so on but to no avail

WTF is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

did you try using windows update?
    i upgraded from ME to 2kpro and lost my sound went to windows update and downloaded them from there

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I'll try that again thanks but I did go to the update site just after I did the install (and it was a clean install)

did you try the sounblaster live! website ( im guessing they have one) to see if you can find audio drivers for your soundcard

Just went to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ to check and;

"There are no updates available for your computer. Please check back later."

so what now?

Originally posted by Caliden
    did you try the sounblaster live! website ( im guessing they have one) to see if you can find audio drivers for your soundcard

yes tried that - dowloaded & installed drivers :dunno:

• Advertisement

is it onboard sound or pci card?

PCI
    Originally posted by Caliden
    is it onboard sound or pci card?

hmm well you could try reinstalling the chipset drivers fro your motherboard if it was a clean install and then try reinstalling your souncard drivers.
    but tis only a suggestion

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im having the same problem in XP-pro.Ive no sound like yourself.In the device manager on your PC do you have an option called other devices and if so is there a flag asking for "multimedia audio controller" drivers??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

If its anything like Windows 2003 you will need to enable the sound first (grrr)

It could also be that the device is not been used to output sound

Check in the sound control panel applet and check to see if the device been used is the creative SB Live!

Is the SB Live listed under Sound And Multimedia controllers in your device manager. Is it enabled. Is the hardware accelleration working to full whack.

Using the troubleshooter fixes somethings. it actually helped me with my graphics card problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I just put Xp on a partition on my win2k work laptop and it put the wrong drivers on for the sound as well (some intel crap instead of crystal crap).... just uninstall the drivers from the device manager and reinstall the Live drivers and give her a reboot ... note, not all the crap that creative always install, just the drivers if you can get them

I've checked all those device manager settings, apparantly everything should be working properly

I've also upgrade the drivers a couple of times but nothing works

Double clicked on the volume icon in the toolbar, which brings up more volume options. For some reason I went into properties and saw that not all controls were displayed.

One of the hidden (by default?) controls was PC speaker. It was mute. Unmuted it and put up the volume and everything works fine now.

I had been to that control panel a hunred times while trying to get sound back and if I had not looked at Properties I would still be fecked.

If PC speaker volume control is hidden by default when it is probably one of the first sound controls you look for then that is an example of OUTSTANDINGLY BAD interface design.

Originally posted by pork99
    XP Professional.........................................OUTSTANDINGLY BAD interface design.

they usually follow each other everywhere

Advertisement