Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less than 512k 'isn't broadband': report

Options
  • 24-03-2004 3:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

This is tied to Muck's last post, but it's really a different topic. Feel free to merge if it doesn't merit a separate discussion though...
    Less than 512k 'isn't broadband': report
    Wednesday, March 24 2004
    by Ciaran Buckley

Some so-called Irish broadband services are merely "middle-band," according to a strongly-worded parliamentary report that also calls for 5Mbps per household.

In a report launched on Wednesday, the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural Resources has redefined the term "broadband" to distinguish it from connectivity levels that fall below useful standards, saying that no service should be defined as broadband unless it provides connectivity of 512kbps.

The committee, which includes government and opposition members, redefined ISDN services that provide only 128kbps or DSL broadband services that fail to deliver on 512kbps as "middle-band."

Having defined 512kbps as a current requirement for Irish Internet users, the committee set a target of 5Mbps per household as a goal for 2006 and 10Mbps as the goal for 2008.

[...]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I didn't notice this bit, it's classic stuff...
    The committee also redefined the connection between the back haul broadband network and the end-user, commonly known as the "last mile." The committee has now designated this as the "first mile" in an attempt to focus attention on the fact that it is the link between the system and the end user for which it is intended. It is also the link that has been neglected, because although Ireland is well-served with back-haul broadband infrastructure, a large proportion of the population has no access to broadband.
    That's right lads, because renaming that bit of copper is going to make everything better again, just like when mommy kisses our scabs.

Also, is it just me or is O'Flynn flapping about like a fish on dry ground. I seem to remember him being all talk in the past but when it came to tackling Eircom he backed down like a bloody great fairy. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I await the Comreg Quarterly report saying the last mile issue has been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

i hope it's true - but me thinks it's on the list of pre election promises that is growing......

metro
    stadium
    m50 upgrade
    yaga yaga yaga.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They can work faster than that Yellum, by gum!

ConWreck SPIN01

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The magic figure 5Mbit IS a pre election promise. Pre the 2002 election from Mary O'Rourke and due to be finished by March 2005 .

The Committee has dragged that poor womans reputation through the mud and slime today by ordering a delay to the completion of the Great Government Plan until 2006 .

The 5Mbit plan for everyone was going wonderfully well until Hanafin was appointed as the E-Whatdyacallit in May 2002.....at which point the plan suffered a Karma implosion from which it has never recovered.

Its the E-Tub Of Europe ®©©™™ strategy.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I like the reclassification of ISDN to middle-band. Presumably it will affect figures of Irish households with broadband that Eircom intentionally misinterpret to suit their needs.

It may just encourage faster speeds.

And hey, it cant be a bad thing right?

Well, apart from the hundreds of thousands of tax payers money that it cost to set up the commitee to analyse, deliberate, vote and decide on this momentous change. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

Originally posted by Ivan

It may just encourage faster speeds.

i dont think it will encourage jack sh1t - only more claims by €ircon about how its building BB Ireland...

and thats the truth

g

Advertisement