Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 with Sony DVD remote?

Options
  • 24-03-2004 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Bought the official Sony DVD remote for PS2 as a pressie for my brother recently. It requires software to be loaded from a CD on to the memory card, which we did, but the remote doesn't seem to do anything. Have tried different batteries and two different PS2s (mine and the bro's). Has anyone had any problems with this remote like this?

Of course, the crappy third party remote I bought myself a couple of years ago plugged into my PS2, required no software and worked straight away! So much for "official" accessories..... :mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The "Driver" is in fact an update to the PS2's DVD playback software and the unit will work without it. This update may not be required on newer versions of the console. How new/old is your unit ?

The "driver" can be deleted from the memory card anyway. Does the IR receiver need to be plugged into a particular joypad port on the PS2 in order to work? It's been a while since I used my remote but I seem to recall this.

Seems like you've tried everything within reason to check operation, if it's only new bring it back for an exchange I guess.

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Make sure the remote is for your model of ps2. There are 2 versions of the remote. The new version for the new models of the ps2 and the regular one for all other models.

The new version of the remote says on the packaging which one its for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The guy in the shop did tell me this when I bought it. My PS2 is over a year old and the bro's is older again. He mentioned that the newer PS2s had an IR receiver built-in already and neither of our PS2s have this, I'm pretty sure. Anyone know how to tell whether you have a "new" or "old" unit for the purposes of this remote?

Thanks for the help so far, will try without the "driver", too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The model number is on the label on the back/side of the unit. Print it here and I'm sure someone will be able to tell you.

Tinky

Advertisement