Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compsoc isnt dead!

• 09-03-2004 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

[Ivan]Split this thread from where it used to be compsoc was dead to where it no longer is. So people dont have to wade through non-relevant stuff anymore. Hope it isnt too confusing :dunno:
    Refer to here for the original thread. [/Ivan]

We've got a meeting with fergal today, we'll let ye know what happens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I'll be there tonight. I can get in touch with Mobster, Neo, Assasin and Tourch. I'll send a txt to Jaoibh to see if he'll come in, that is if he doesn't read this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Originally posted by stevenk
    iBUT, seeing as these computers kicks most people's own pcs ( personal computers ) ass's, ....

don't think so baby

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

i'll be there....

What time will everone be there at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Ok, we were just talking to fergal, and it seems that the admins only problem with us was the noise level, so from now on BE ****ING QUIET. He was very fair, the accounts are re enabled, he may even work to get direct x 9 on the machines. So there you go, compsoc is back. We will need a list of all active members tonight to give to the techies.
    Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    and some time soon I will go to fergal and rape him up the ass(or some thing a little less perverted).
    On a side note-he read this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

On a side note Fergal seemed to quite impressed with Billy's openess about his sexual tendancies.
    But back to the main point which has been said to us more than enough over the last year and half, THE NOISE LEVELS. It is the only thing that computer sevices, fergal, other students (working) and lecturers in closeby rooms doing night courses are against. It is the one thing that draws attention to the society, and by attention i mean bad attention. The type of attention that shuts down compsoc at the click of mouse over a "disable account" button. It is no problem to get a machine to show you people hardware tutorials of a type in the evening, the only condition is that it is not plugged in by anyone, Insurance reasons ( thats for all you curios people that wonder what happens when you switch the power supply input voltage over from 240 to 120 volts ( it blows up leaving smoke and sparks in your face and or eyes ) ). He also said that it should be possible but did not promise that directx 9 could be put onto the computers, it's not harmfull, its a system update, so there should be no problems there.

Anyways, compsoc tonight, 5pm-10pm and be ****ing quiet or ill get dogboy to take ye all from behind one by one. that doesnt include you unreal queen, weve got a traffic cone outside for you if you pipe up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

Originally posted by Stephen
    Lab 310 has got shiny new black P4 2.8's as well, but with the old beige monitors.

Apparently they have LCDs for all the new computers but just haven't put them all out yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Shamo
    Apparently they have LCDs for all the new computers but just haven't put them all out yet.

They better be bolted down or ill be having me one:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not only that, but they only have direct x 8, which means no unreal 2 engine games. Still games of BF1942 would be possible. So, who will be there tonight?
    The demo was tried on the old machine's by me. The graphics specs were too low. The game needed a 32MB card, and there was only a 16MB card in them:(
    2.8ghz......WOW!
    512mb ram......WOW!
    64mb onboard gfx......bleh but still better than 16mb tnt2 ****s.
    Min specs for BF; 500MHz, 128MB RAM, 3D accelerated 32 MB video card or equivalent with HTL (Hardware Transform & Lightning) and 24-bit z-buffer.

They just need DirectX 8.1 to run, but
    He was very fair, the accounts are re enabled, he may even work to get direct x 9 on the machines.
    Should fix that.

And, as for
    the noise level, so from now on BE ****ING QUIET.
    Just close the door. I know, it gets stuffy, but once the door is closed, noise does not go out.
    Leave it open during smoke breaks;) when everyone goes to shop for munchies, etc. The room is generally quite then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

or... just shut the **** up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Originally posted by Dempsey
    They better be bolted down or ill be having me one:D

They've been known to go missing (in bulk) from other colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Cuchulain

Originally posted by Shamo

Standard CRTs are staying everywhere except Multimedia lab. LCDs aint up to scratch for gaming purposes anyway.

Originally posted by the_syco
    Just close the door. I know, it gets stuffy, but once the door is closed, noise does not go out.
    Leave it open during smoke breaks;) when everyone goes to shop for munchies, etc. The room is generally quite then.
    Like a little pane of glass will stop the whole library from hearing us screaming death threats at each other, I think people should take stephens advice.

Its really just Ghost Jumping out of his chair and throwing a fit everytime he's killed (by me:D )

I think Ghost's dramatic actions of being killed and jumping out of his chair, is from when you're on his ****ing team Kain, and he's going nuts cause your a team killing whore :)
    Anyways, nice to see the noise levels down on tuesday and wednesday night. Keep it that way because the dogboy threat remains. As stephen said, "shut the **** up" when you're at compsoc, Because sometimes the door is left open and has to opened. ( sometimes the windows open just isint enough.. )

Thanx for the pointless crap you posted syco, It really was.. well...pointless...
    I think that by now people should know that it doesnt matter about the system requirements of the games, the only real way to find out if game will actually work on the computers, is to bring it in and try it out, if the game starts up and you can play it, then it works. After that its a question of how well it works, and how popular it is among members.
    I am here on top of the library now ( friday 4pm ) downloading updates for U2XMP, www.u2xmp.com
    Best multiplayer ive ever played. Screw counter strike, sucks balls compared to this. This evening we should have dx9 installed onto the machines in the lab, and next week we should be up and running with xmp.
    For those people who didnt go to compsoc last week, just to let ye know, there were 22 people there on tuesday and about 14 on wednesday??? so the more the merrier.

sometimes the windows open just isint enough

arent enough steve, arent.

We should have unreal tournament 2003 with a few mod's playable for next week too, which should be fun(thats if it will fit on the compsoc drive). Also we're gonna have to sort out the voting for next years president, vice and secretary some time before the end of the year, any ideas on that one? i know last year it was just kind of given to people. Maybe a 1v1 league for the positions instead of voting?

I think Ghost's dramatic actions of being killed and jumping out of his chair, is from when you're on his ****ing team Kain, and he's going nuts cause your a team killing whore :)

Who me???? No way i was set up..... well maybe not.:p
    It's these damn itchy trigger fingers of mine and besides you keep walking into my bullets. And i'm in training to be the next Syco. Nobody may be able to replace him but we need a psycotic presencse there.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

****ers .

thats just not fair . complain . and demand that the students that were playing the games be banned . it used to be the case that the compsoc login was only able to be used on certian days/times . guess things have changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

But as far as I understood it didn't have anything to do with Compsoc.....
    I thought they logged in on their own acounts and either found a game on the D:\ drive or had one on cd......???

I could be wrong though, It HAS happen before!!

Im sitting here in A311 and im sure two or three lads are playing quake in the corner

Its gonna happen again

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kain
    Who me???? No way i was set up..... well maybe not.:p
    It's these damn itchy trigger fingers of mine and besides you keep walking into my bullets. And i'm in training to be the next Syco. Nobody may be able to replace him but we need a psycotic presencse there.:D
    Good luck.
    Im sitting here in A311 and im sure two or three lads are playing quake in the corner

Its gonna happen again
    Is there any way that you can disable certain features (like DirectX, etc) when the Compsoc account is not active?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Go over and ask them if they want to join compsoc.

Originally posted by Ivan
    Go over and ask them if they want to join compsoc.

No

Its gonna happen again
    Report them to the techies, tell them you're from compsoc and you don't know any of them.

Report them to the techies, tell them you're from compsoc and you don't know any of them.

Im going to do nothing about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Well I will...... Are they from COMPSOC??

I dunno

Firstly, I dont care if people are playing games in there on whatever eveing, once they are not claiming to be a part of compsoc. They can do whatever they want once it does not affect compsoc, and if they are caught, its nothing got to do with compsoc unless they claim to be a part of it. There are rules there to punish people who are caught playing games on the college machines. The only exception is compsoc hours, compsoc members, in the compsoc lab, where the machines are reserved for use by compsoc.
    The machines in there now get their D: drive wiped of mostly everything on boot up, which means whatever is being played has been brought in by the people. The compsoc login is still restricted to 5-10 tuesday and wednesday so nothings changed there.
    Secondly, and more interstingly :), DIRECT X 9!!!!!
    Not completely sure of it because the lab was locked all of friday during which time all the machines inside were getting windows reloaded.... which hopefully means updated software..
    Now its just a matter of waiting to see what games we can get to work on tuesday/wednesday. Basicly, your all going to FORCED to play Unreal 2 XMP on tuesday. Screw counter strike, screw RTCW and screw Quake 3, this games beats all.
    Anyways its good to be back after my week of solitude :P
    Also, this thread should be renamed or re-started under a new one, because with these new machines, and direct x9, compsoc is definately not dead.

Basicly, your all going to FORCED to play Unreal 2 XMP on tuesday. Screw counter strike, screw RTCW and screw Quake 3, this games beats all.
    Lucky bastido's!

• Advertisement

AND I'LL RE-ITERATE, BE ****ING QUIET!!!!!111!!!!1!1!1

yes caps, exclamations and 1's were required to get my point across.

Advertisement