Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compsoc isnt dead!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

SO has directX 9 been installed yet or did they forget again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Steven

Direct X 9 is now installed in A307

fergal
    Fri 19th March 16:44pm

So theres Direct X 9. Also, I tested XMP today, works like a charm. Will tweak it tommorrow, like get the color settings done and lower the detail, and make sure that invert mouse is turned off and so on.... Apart from that, whose ready to get ass raped? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ME FIRST ME FIRST!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by stevenk
    Apart from that, whose ready to get ass raped? :)

Bring it.
    :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

This is going to be quite brilliant, we may have halo in working condition too. It'll be like last year when we first got to play RTCW........oh joy the good days are coming back.........RIGHT AT THE END OF THE ****ING ACADEMIC YEAR.

• Advertisement

And who do we have to blame for that????

I don't know i was just wondering:D

Originally posted by Ivan
    Bring it.
    :ninja:

No, you Bring it, Bring yourself in!!!!!!
    We need attendance!!!!

What ill do at the start is to fire up the oul projector and ill play on that for a while, so if anyone has any questions on how to play xmp, they can either look or more specifically ask me and ill show them whatever they need to know. On another note, dont expect to play anything else, when you learn this, youll love it, and curse every other game.
    On another note, Personally im not out to ass rape tomorrow, i dont wanna make people not enjoy the game because they dont get a chance to do anything proper on the maps. Or explore the maps or complete any sort of objective at all. Its just not fun, BUT i might just go a bit nuts after a while if someone is being a point whore a spawn point camper.

<<
    >>
    ........what???:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

make sure that invert mouse is turned off and so on
    Heathen.

yeah that was aimed at dogboy, who seems to think that because invert mouse was used in the first of the shoot em up games, it should be used in all games after that.
    BUT ITS JUST WRONG!
    ITS NOT RIGHT!!!

• Advertisement

yeah that was aimed at dogboy, who seems to think that because invert mouse was used in the first of the shoot em up games, it should be used in all games after that.
    BUT ITS JUST WRONG!
    ITS NOT RIGHT!!!
    You damn amatuers probably cant even remember games before mouselook, kids these days......
    shut up or I'll start inverting the x-axis too!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    You damn amatuers probably cant even remember games before mouselook, kids these days......
    shut up or I'll start inverting the x-axis too!

Them were the days
    Doom
    Wolfenstein 3D
    Blake Stone 3D [that rocked ... so cool sound effects {and yes 3D was big thing then}]
    Blood
    And so many other greats :)
    [And im going to mension, even though it has no bearing on relevance : Monkey Island 1-4 :D]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

i remember when Wolf 3D came out. that was ****in class!

so remind me of compsoc hours?

Originally posted by Headcase
    i remember when Wolf 3D came out. that was ****in class!

so remind me of compsoc hours?

Tuesday and Wednesday 5 till 9

Unreal 2 ****in rocks. We (that is you) should have got directX 9 installed ages ago.

Kain, no point as machines are only new.

Also, machines are running XMP very very slowly, 10 - 15 fps outside
    which is far too slow. ill have a look around and see if i can get anything to make it work better with the hardware.
    I think the UT2003 works better compared to xmp, so maybe we will try that later if we can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't think those poxy integrated intel graphics chipsets are up to the task unless you put the resolution down to about 640x480x16.

Yes, as Steven so elegantly put, its probably because of the shoite graphics cards.

Not much you can do there, except kill explorer and all the other useless crap they have running on the machines, when you start xmp up.

Also running in 640 x 480 may help.

/me shudders.

I know I'm not much use, but I just feel the need to add some important so people will think I have some kind of important contribution to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If ya got him to install Directx9 for 307, Why dont ya ask him to do something for reg access so CS and DOD can be installed? all use our own steam id's

• Advertisement

Well 1.6 needs to authenticate with the Steam network before you can play it offline, so you would need to get through the firewall as well. So you'd need reg access and something to sort out the firewall too.

Also, I doubt everyone would have a steam account.

1.5 would be an option certainly.

Tbh, Directx 9 is a big step in the right direction. It shows that compsoc and computer services can get along on occasion.

Granted they probably would have installed Directx 9 when they next update all the images on the machines but that could be the summer holidays so...

Anyway, be grateful for what you've got ww)

Originally posted by Ivan
    Well 1.6 needs to authenticate with the Steam network before you can play it offline, so you would need to get through the firewall as well. So you'd need reg access and something to sort out the firewall too.

Also, I doubt everyone would have a steam account.

1.5 would be an option certainly.

Forgot about that actually :/

But 1.5 is still very good and DOD v1 is class aswell

Couldnt they do something like... install the necessary reg keys on login to compsoc and delete them on logout. Would that we impossible?

The install of the Directx 9 now rather than the summer shows that they are willing to go out of their way to do stuff for us

Thanks Ivan for the thread splitting thing........had me confused there.

It's too late in the year to be asking the admins to be installing reg entries for us, seeing as they will probably be formatting all the machines in a few weeks anyway(or at least the summer). If me and steve are involved next year we'll see what can be done.

On the matter of compsoc since the update, the attendance has been good, lotsa fun was had the last few days, thanks to all for making compsoc fun again. It's a bit late in the year for the new games, so I won't be working too hard to get UT2003 working or anything, but I'll try at least. For anyone who wasn't there tonight, steve got U2XMP running at a steady 20 fps now which is just as playable as wolfenstein was last year.

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    Thanks Ivan for the thread splitting thing........had me confused there.

No prob.
    It's too late in the year to be asking the admins to be installing reg entries for us, seeing as they will probably be formatting all the machines in a few weeks anyway(or at least the summer). If me and steve are involved next year we'll see what can be done.

Its actually probably the best time, right now. Just before they update the image, if you can go to them with a friendly counter-strike reg key and/or even a batch file which can be executed to load the registry entry and a similar one to delete the registry upon exit or whatever, it might make them more sympathetic and/or more likely to help out.

Its not really a big thing to do, adding a specific registry entry so I'd doubt it would be too much hassle for them. There is no point in going to them next year as they will just say "Well, we're not updating all the images for just one registry entry".

They were really really really anal about editing the registry in any way at the start of the year. And personally i have no interest in Half life or any of its mods. If dogboy wants to do it, he can do it :) But im not going to put any more effort in the registry entries things. They just dont like it or want it. Also, do the registry entries for half need a different key for each client??? If so, it would be only one registry key possible for all machines. i.e. all machines, same key.

On the other hand, newer games, with better team play characteristics and much better classes of players are out there now in the form of unreal xmp, and unreal 2004. Halo also works, but i find it too slow paced. As well as that there are games like Battlefield 1942 that Balkie brought in. We havnt played it yet on a large scale but hopefully soon we will see it in action.

And as dogboy said, attendance is good, but the more the merrier. Also keep the noise levels down ****heads. I know i contribute but still... hit me with a book or something.

As for next week, more Unreal XMP, Hopefully with smaller maps so the fps is gained. Also, some more unreal 2004, and we'll wait and see what else can work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

dont mind the registry stuff. u need to prioritize.
    first things first:
    sort out the smell in that room. seriously, it smells like ass in there. i dunno how any1 puts up with it. even if u open the window the smell stays. there must be a dead animal hidden in the ventilation or sum1 musta sh*t on top of one of the monitors and had it melt into the monitors insides.
    if the smell stays, ill have no choice but to come to compsoc drunk so im physically unable to smell anything. so there.

ps we could just move room until we smell up that one and then move again and then again and again etc.

Originally posted by The_B_Man
    sort out the smell in that room. seriously, it smells like ass in there.

The smell is off you:ninja:

We'll get a can of lynx for ya:p

Did anyone notice the load of extra computers on the third floor libaray? I think they're all the old COMPSOC room computers. And it's still a b*tch trying to get a computer in the libaray.

Yes the smell is an issue, all compsoc members must now shower before hand and wear clean clothes in.
    But apart from that nonsense windows open, door open nothing else can be about ye smelly ****. Lynx is substitution for being smelly. It does not fix the problem, only sort of hides it a bit. That one goes out to Darren Cox ( Frilly Cocks who nobody knows cept me ).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

is it still possible to join compsoc, or do i just come along and play at the above times?

Advertisement