Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DART Shocker !

• 24-03-2004 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

i'm amazed, this is shockingly good

Seems you can now send a text e.g.

"dart killester" to 53700 you get the next darts in both directions

i think its "dart" space "station name" [leave out the inverted commas] and i think the damage is 30c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the buses have been doing this for some time now, its not so much a service as money spinner - occasionally helpful all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If it is realtime info such as this: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/enquiries/wap_links.asp
    it would be of some value, if like the bus info it is just from the timetables then it's use is limited, just buy a timetable instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It gives you the train times as per the timetable but it's not a "real-time" service i.e. you won't know if it is delayed or cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

aparently the sms info comes from the displays in the stations so it is real time info

if you go to http://camera.ntrg.cs.tcd.ie
    you can see the display in pearse

do an sms for pearse and its the same, or was for me a while ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

It is real-time info.

• Advertisement

seems to be real-time alright, handy for the last pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DEElicious

this is really cool, now i dont have to hang around the dart stations at night waiting for my dart

why has this not been publicised? keep your girlfriends safe, let them know about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

usefull service alright. i remember the company i work for pitched this at irish rail about 2.5 years ago but they didnt think it would be a worthwile service...

anywho. anyone know how much each text costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 zedsDeadBaby

€1.10 per text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Originally posted by zedsDeadBaby
    €1.10 per text
    mutherfockers!!!! greedy ****s

• Advertisement

zedsDeadBaby, its 30 cents not 1.10, see d'website
    www.irishrail.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i withdraw my last statement

if you get overcharged for SMSs etc by anybody contact

Regtel - Regulator of Premium Rate Telecommunications Services Ireland

Telephone: 1850 741 741 Fax: 1850 741 747 Email: info@regtel.ie

http://www.regtel.ie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

Tried it out yesterday while waiting in Connolly.

It seems to be accurate - or as accurate as the display signs :) (where 2 CIE minutes can mean anything from 0 - 10 in the real world)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

How about WAP, at least if they put the info up on WAP you could 'bookmark' a station and check it as needed.

This would also be cheaper for users i.e. visting one WAP page would probably cost between 5-10c depending on whether you have GPRS or not.

Also a website with these figures would be good also, maybe more so at saying that 'we are not there but we are getting there' :p
    This could be like the way Ryanair report their delayed flights, this system could work @ realtime...

Then again a bad affect of this would be if 'terrorists' could hook up their bomb timers to the realtime schedule:ninja: :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by WezzyB
    How about WAP, at least if they put the info up on WAP you could 'bookmark' a station and check it as needed.

This would also be cheaper for users i.e. visting one WAP page would probably cost between 5-10c depending on whether you have GPRS or not.

Also a website with these figures would be good also, maybe more so at saying that 'we are not there but we are getting there' :p
    This could be like the way Ryanair report their delayed flights, this system could work @ realtime...

Does anyone use wap? I thought it was virtually dead.

Website: http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/real_time_suburban_information.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah well it doesnt make the damn thing come any quicker. It arrives when it arrives.

Late

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by senordingdong
    Yeah well it doesnt make the damn thing come any quicker. It arrives when it arrives.

Late

never a truer word spoken!

I still use wap but its awful slow, meethinks SMS is better for this kindof info.

must admit senordingdong, wud be great if the dart txt could make em go faster *laughs*

Originally posted by WezzyB

The reason they dont\wont do it on wap is because they are making money out of this service. Out of that 30c they get approx 5-6c per message. If it was on WAP they'd get nothing.

What ever about the dart text service which is real time the Bus text service is a complete joke. All they do is send out the relevant part of the bus time table to you.
    A source in CIE told me the powers that be a rubbing they're hands in glee at the money this "service" is bringing in, they're getting about 100K messages a month for it.

So save money and just stick a normal bus time table in your wallet\purse\hand bag.
    Or just save yourself the bother and just stand at the bus stop and wait cause the chances are it wont turn up at the timetabled time anyway....:dunno:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Dammit! I had this idea ages for a final year project - why didn't I implement it and bring it to them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Scruff
    A source in CIE told me the powers that be a rubbing they're hands in glee at the money this "service" is bringing in, they're getting about 100K messages a month for it.
    So out of €700m turnover, they are making maybe €70,000? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Its good alright. When i was on work experience in CIE last summer they had this working by SMS, ive been using it since then!, they just needed to upgrade the server that handled the real time info before they made it live. In the next month you should see online ticket sales for some IrishRail tickets. This is a major project that has been worked on for the last year. Theyve had some serious problems with it though. I think theyll be restricting it to 1st class tickets for the first few months. It lets you pick your seat and all!, its cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Out of that 30c they get approx 5-6c per message.

No doubt the service costs them money to run which they need to recover from those who use it. In any event WAP is a slow, irritating service.

Originally posted by Victor
    So out of €700m turnover, they are making maybe €70,000? :rolleyes:

oh well, blinded by my hatred of cie and its ineptitude at running our public transport fiasco so whether it was €7million, €70,000 or 7c profit they make it makes no difference to what i think of them or they quailty of service they provide. but as i said earlier (grudingly) the real time dart info is handy.
    Originally posted by L5
    In the next month you should see online ticket sales for some IrishRail tickets. This is a major project that has been worked on for the last year. Theyve had some serious problems with it though. I think theyll be restricting it to 1st class tickets for the first few months. It lets you pick your seat and all!, its cool.

HAHAAHAA!! 1st class on irish rail!! hahaha!! ah thats a good one...
    Will it also let you pick which carriges you get to stand in between when all the seats are gone but they continue selling tickets???
    cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Originally posted by Scruff
    oh well, blinded by my hatred of cie and its ineptitude at running our public transport fiasco so whether it was €7million, €70,000 or 7c profit they make it makes no difference to what i think of them or they quailty of service they provide. but as i said earlier (grudingly) the real time dart info is handy.

HAHAAHAA!! 1st class on irish rail!! hahaha!! ah thats a good one...
    Will it also let you pick which carriges you get to stand in between when all the seats are gone but they continue selling tickets???
    cant wait.

Well the first stage is Dublin/Belfast, and Dublin Cork, both of which has first class carriages.

Advertisement