Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea V's Arsenal Latest Score

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by Emboss
    look at it.........

he didn't get the ball ok but he wasn't near the player....

harsh.....

bootlace....at best

Bitter?

He got the man. Denied a goal scoring oportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

look at it.........

harsh.....

bootlace....at best

he slid straight in front of him adn never touched the ball, Veira was in full flight, he fouled him, and I have looked at it just saw it at 4 different angles and it was as blatent a foul as you will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Kingp35
    Monaco own Morientes now. Cant believe Real never played him he is a class act
    He's only on loan. Real still pay 40% of his wages. When you have Raul and Ronaldo up front Morientes was never going to be happy on the bench.

As for Desailly, I think his first yellow was a spur of the moment thing. The fans will be happy he is unavailable for the 2nd leg as he is a liability at this stage.

Bridge and Duff linked up well, Lampard and Gudjohnson had a good game.

look at it.........

harsh.....

bootlace....at best
    C'mon, Vieira's hardly going to run into the bloody player. Everyones instinct is to jump when someone slides full force at you. He didn't get the ball because he hardly even played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Heh sorry lads, the lad who started this thread started it cos he is nerding in college, however he has a fondness for "retro" snes games which can be played on an emulator type thing. My aim was soley to abuse him.

On topic...Suprised Arsenal didnt win tongiht; Maka did well against Viera, Henry barely got a sniff & Duff looked dangerous. For me Chelsea didnt have enough in the box. First half was poor from Gudj & mutu for me. Arsenal to go thru, still anyones tie tho, considering arsenal have united at the w/e

sorry for my previous cyrptic post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by Henry_14
    Bitter?

He got the man. Denied a goal scoring oportunity

did ye see where the ball was as he was in mid flight?

(during his dive)

did ye see where the ball was as he was in mid flight?
    yes nearer to Veira than the Chelsea goalkeeper!!!

FFS ppl, it was a foul get over it!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

look at it.........

harsh.....

bootlace....at best
    lol? he slide right infront of him and there WAS clear contact as he tried to leap over him.

vieira was looking for him to sent off though, but it was definately justified

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

It was a booking no more so he deserved to go but his first was stupid (for those who didn't see it he slapped the ball out of Lehmann's hand as he was about to throw it out)

Vieira did dive. There was no contact whatsoever. Ronald Koeman just proved it on Sky Sports. Desailly slid across, ball went ahead Vieira jumped over him and fell - NO CONTACT (or seriously minimal). So emboss was right.

If you dont' believe me then Sky must have dodgy cameras or Koeman is a whiz with video editing tools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well from my point of view Chelsea should have won tonight. Arsenal just weren't firing on all cylinders up front at all, luckly the defense was better (Apart from the mess they made gifting Chelsea the goal!).

As for Desailly's sending off I didn't get a chance to see the replays of the incident but from what I saw it looked like he took the man out and it was an extremely stupid thing to do after getting that idiotic yellow card for the foul on Lehmann.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

of course Arsenal were not great. we're playing Utd twice in the next week. the tiredness will creep in, i'd rather they lose saturdays' match and win the FA cUP one, adn then chelsea.

Henry and Bergkamp didn't do much. waste of Bergkamp's only away match in the Chmaps league. :rolleyes:

and i think Lehmann is better than most of ye think. he should have clobbered Gudjohnson with that one, but still, he got all the crosses he should have.
    KING KOLO!!

the match in Higbury will be great!! come on the Gunners.

side note: poor Ranieri..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Anyone see the shot on RTE of Sir Alex( chewing Gum) Ferguson on his mobile phone in the stand during the first half, wonder was he on to the Manure Helpline number 0800 101010 (one nothing one nothing one nothing) :):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by mobby
    Anyone see the shot on RTE of Sir Alex( chewing Gum) Ferguson on his mobile phone in the stand during the first half, wonder was he on to the Manure Helpline number 0800 101010 (one nothing one nothing one nothing) :):):):)

Yeah, I noticed that. Too bad about that joke you decided to finish off with though (its been posted here about 250,000,000,000,000 times).

Anyhoo, Chelsea were definitely better overall, but somehow they couldn't get past Kolo Toure. Time and time again he bailed Arsenal out - absolutely tremendous. It was a pretty tense affair all around. As an Arsenal fan, its been a long time since there was that much at stake - probably the last time we visited Old Trafford was the last time I felt that tense. Magnificent header by Pires, considering he's not exactly in the "arial threat" category. Graeme Souness criticised John Terry a lot for the goal, but when you see the replay, and the speed that Pires was running in on goal at... there was nothing more Terry could have done. In fact, I thought Terry had a very good match in general.

Good result so far, but the job is far from done yet. Its gonna be another tense one in 2 weeks time...

Originally posted by NightStrike
    So emboss was right.

Just because there was no contact doesn't mean it wasn't a foul, he impeded Veira and never touched the ball!! Thats a foul!!

Also Veira IMHO was denied a goal scoring opportunity, which means it was a professional foul which means Desially could have got a red.

I don't know what your harping on about no contact for???

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Yeah, I noticed that. Too bad about that joke you decided to finish off with though (its been posted here about 250,000,000,000,000 times).

You know what the sad thing about it too is? Unless you're a Boro fan then your side has won nothing this season yet either. At least at the minute Utd are the reigning champions (on granted maybe not for too long but still). Presumably an Arsenal fan came up with it as it looks like they are the only club who will win the Premiership but you'd think even they'd have learnt their lessons after last season to not count their chickens before they're hatched.
    Even Utd have more than Arsenal this season because they won the charity shield (ok i know its only the charity shield but its still more than any other club bar boro have to date)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irish1
    Just because there was no contact doesn't mean it wasn't a foul, he impeded Veira and never touched the ball!! Thats a foul!!

Also Veira IMHO was denied a goal scoring opportunity, which means it was a professional foul which means Desially could have got a red.

I don't know what your harping on about no contact for???

because thats the issue that was being discussed. Emboss said there was no contact, that Vieira dived. And he did. I agree with you it was a foul and Desailly deserved to go but I still think Vieira could've hopped over him and ran on if he really wanted to but he hit the ball too far ahead and went down to get him sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Yeah, I noticed that. Too bad about that joke you decided to finish off with though (its been posted here about 250,000,000,000,000 times

yeah i know just thought it was funny to see the lamp on the phone with that joke doing the rounds.
    Terry one again great stuff, Lampard, Bridge also had a good game ,Duffer played ok Viera /Desailly Viera made a meal of it end of story but thats football nowadays
    Anyway enjoyable match, draw was just about fair imo, its still all to play for

Come on the Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Also Edu and Kolo were Arsenals best players by a mile tonight.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by gandalf
    Also Edu and Kolo were Arsenals best players by a mile tonight.

Gandalf.

Desailly deserved to go. What an utterly idiotic thing to get his first yellow card over.
    His second was iffy, but the second ithappend I knew he'd go. Pretty much figure arsenal are gonna go through, they didn't look to be playing to their top level yet turned it on sufficiently when they went a goal down.

I still have a hunch about Chelsea. I wouldn't be surprised for the highbury game to go to penalties. Chelsea will have a number of players back/better fitness by then. Duff is only feeling his way back into it after a spell out, as is Crespo etc. Desailly is no loss as Gallas is better at centre-back anyway and i'm sure johnson/melchiot can do a grand job at RB.
    Arsenal on the other hand had pretty much a full-strength side out there tonight. They won't be able to rest anyone because they'll face Utd twice between then and they'll be highly competitive games.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ok where will i start
    arsenal were on top for the first 25 min or so and created one or two ok chances but then chelsea actually believed in themselves and started playing.
    the goal was scrappy and was lehmans fault to be honest but **** happens, but a great goal by pires to even things up and to be honest a draw was a fair result.

desailly deserved to go just for the idiotic first yellow card, you wouldnt catch a schoolboy player doing that never mind the CL. second was a yellow too nuff said!

henry and bergkamp were very very quiet
    edu and kolo were outstanding
    i was kringing when gilberto came on. he adds nothing to the team
    reyes came on too late to make a serious impact

duff was chelseas only real attacking threat
    crespo and mutu and cole what are they at!?
    parker, expected more of him, lack of CL experinece showed

all in all the defence in both teams were dominent but chelsea are by far the more defensive team then arsenal which is bad news for them as they have to score in the second leg at highbury, at times they were playing 8 + men behind the ball as if their lives dependend on it and to be fair it almost worked

arsenal will play better in the second leg no doubt but can chelsea play better!?
    i cant really see them topping that performance, they gave it their all and came out with very little

I wouldn't really call that them giving it their all. True Henry was quiet but thats cause Terry had him in his back pocket for most of it.

Firstly, Lampard was ****e - again! Was more involved than he usually is against Arsenal but still didn't do a lot. Crespo is only really back from a long spell out and he could be sharper by the time the second leg comes around. They'll also have Jimmy back.

Its by no means over and I think Arsenal will come out with egg on their face if they think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I think Dunphy got it right last night...Everytime Duff moved infield he was like a headless chicken.

Chelsea should have won the game last night but Arsenal being who they are and the team they are have a never say die attidude. it all makes for a brilliatn second leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

Was it not Viera who lost the head when Van Nistleroy supposedly got him sent off in the last match that they played in and last night he got Desailly a fellow team mate for France sent off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Great game for the excitement factor. Didn't think Duff had a great game, apart from a couple of great passes in the second half, his passing generally wasn't good enough. But I don't want to be too critical of him as he's only just getting back into it.
    Lamps and Makelelelelele had a great game as did Terry. Parker was really up for it but his lack of CL really showed. I think Desailly made "mininmal" contact and had to go, but Viera made a meal out of it and as was stated by Fred West...sorry Jonnhy Giles, for a such a hard tackler he doesn't take it too easily.
    Desailly knocking the ball out of moaney hole Lehman's hand just goes to show that it's a known fact that he's a keeper that's too easy to wind up, and again, I just don't think that he has a good temperament.
    Henry was very quiet, but in fairness he was marked out of the game. Bergkamp's age really showed last night, he wasn't able for the high pace of the game. Toure was on fire last night, an absolute rock, but the fact that the Chelsea forwards tended to take too much out of the ball in the final third didn't help the Blue's cause. Edu is in the form of his career. And finally, George Hamilton is a knob!! "The keeper even thought that it was a goal!!!" No he didn't George!! Oh, and so is Bill O'Herlihy!!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Strangely I thought Lampard was pretty good last night although he should have tried a few more shots form outside the box , and I thought Parker had an excellent game , both were quick to challenge , got their tackles in , neutralised Viera for the most part. Top marks to Ambrosio for doing a decent job with so little experience, both Cudicini and Sullivan have badly let Chelsea down in crucial games against arse in recent months so fair play to him for rising to the occassion even if it wasn't a clean sheet that Cheslea needed (even if i did slag him off a few days ago on here) . Mutu just didn't look fit enough for the game and in fairness to Duff he was being very closely marked and still managed to wiggle out and make a pass to Bridge more often than not (despite being constantly fouled).

Also it was great to hear the Chelsea fans finally getting behind Ranieri , only a few more weeks to chant his name though.

Despite the away goal is Chelsea paly like they did last night they have every chance of going through , Chelsea have always scored at the Library in recent years and always score away in the CL. 1 all and penalties is my hope.

Originally posted by NightStrike
    Emboss said there was no contact, that Vieira dived. And he did.
    He didn't dive any more than Duff did when Lauren "tackled" him on the edge of the box. If that freekick hadv'e resulted in a goal there would be a lot more talk. Duff really needs to stop this diving or he'll get himself a bad name.
    Firstly, Lampard was ****e - again! Was more involved than he usually is against Arsenal but still didn't do a lot.
    It really depends on what standards you judge him by. If you judge him by his performances before Christmas he had a quiet game. If you judge him by recent performances he had a very good game. Every long pass was spot but needs to get stuck in more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The game is far from up for Chelsea. I thought the Gunners would go for them last night and get a couple of away goals, they didin't and Chelseas who were conservative in attack last night have to really go for them in the next leg. arsenal are still favourites to win through but Chelsea do posess the firepower to get a couple of away goals ann they need is the belief.

On Viera he could have hurdled desailly but he doesn,t have to , his ground was taken and it was a foul. After the foul he made the most of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think the tie is over now. I thought chelsea had to keep a clean sheet. If they were gonna draw it had to be 0-0 because just arent scoring that many goals and especially away from.They seem to be winning games 1-0 and are very lucky not to lose the games.

Arsenal are too string for chelsea and I cant see past Arsenal going through even tho i would prefer Chelsea to win.

BBC player ratings

How did Henry get a 6 if Duff only got a 5? You may say Henry got no possession but every time Duff got the bal there were 3 players around him. His corners and freekicks were spot on and he linked up well with Bridge. It just goes to show the standards he has set but if Beckham put in that performance he would get at least a 6 and maybe a 7.

Bridge deserved more than a 7 too.

• Advertisement

Its by no means over and I think Arsenal will come out with egg on their face if they think it is.

why is that because they might not win the second leg!?
    so why the egg on the face.
    chelsea are a very defensive team and thats one of the reasons that abromovich doesnt like ranairi
    the russian wants attacking football like real madrid and arsenal not 10 men behind the ball and then nick a goal (watch the matches against stuggart and you will know what im on about)
    the away goal is the crucial factor here. Chelsea have to score first and/or win

did anybody see the interview with gjudjohson?
    he looked so down because his team gave it his all and they still couldnt beat arsenal, its a mental thing with chelsea now, wen pires scored their goal chelsea droped thier heads immediately after bieng on top for most of the game
    it will take the performance of the season from chelsea to overturn that result imo
    i dont buy the "they will be fitter and better in the next game!!"why chelsea are playing the same amount of games arent they between now and then!

desailly had to go, there was minimal contact but if viera didnt jump out of the way he'd only have one leg to stand on today
    desailly made no complaints and neither did his teammates nuff said regards that

sending off will have reprecustions, galas will have to move to the centre where he did a very good job against henry and pires, meaning johnson or melchoit will have to go RB, ok players but not as good defensively as galas(especially johnson, if he was playing then pires would have a field day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    How did Henry get a 6 if Duff only got a 5? You may say Henry got no possession but every time Duff got the bal there were 3 players around him. His corners and freekicks were spot on....

Have to say, I don't agree fully with that. I thought he was 50/50 with his corner taking, and his passing wasn't up to his usual high standard, although point taken about him being marked heavily.

I totally agree with you about his diving, it's an aspect of his game that has always worried me.

B.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Those BBC ratings are a load of arse. Vieira who was very quiet got an 8, while Edu, who was excellent got a 7.

Not really surprised that Duff & Henry struggled to make an impact. Both were identified as the main threats and were continually marked by 2 or 3 players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

I'm not surprised Henry didnt make an impact because he rarely does in big club games.
    I thought Wayne B was the most remarkable player on the pitch, its so rare to see an English defender look so calm and talented on the ball.

Superb game, the only complaints could be Chelsea's wastefulness of the ball early on, and the diving (Pires' 3 times in opening 20 mins!?! surely a bookable offence . . . Duff, and Vieira to ensure Desailly went (and after his tantrum over Van N's similar antics earlier in the season, its a bit much)), but thats just being picky. Two top teams with little between them. That tie's not over by a long shot.

and the diving (Pires' 3 times in opening 20 mins!?! surely a bookable offence . . . Duff, and Vieira to ensure Desailly went (and after his tantrum over Van N's similar antics earlier in the season, its a bit much)), but thats just being picky

why dont you blame the ref!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I agree after a sluggish start to the season by Bridge, he's put in some very accomplished performances including Wed night. :) Really looking forward to the return leg, I can see CFC scoring but Arse will score more than 1.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

quote:
    and the diving (Pires' 3 times in opening 20 mins!?! surely a bookable offence . . . Duff, and Vieira to ensure Desailly went (and after his tantrum over Van N's similar antics earlier in the season, its a bit much)), but thats just being picky

jank:
    why dont you blame the ref!?

I was, "surely a bookable offence?". Its still the only annoying aspect left about that Arsenal side though, now they've tamed the petulence and loud-mouthing. It really is down to refs to stamp out the blatant diving by showing cards when they deem it to be a dive rather than a foul.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think it will be a cracking game tonight with both teams really going for it big time but I can see Arsenal winning by one goal maybe 2-1. I would prefer Chelsea to go through but i dont think it will happen

Advertisement